Poll: Avatar: Bending discussion

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Earth you could train that to a level where you could build entire towns within a day as while as making agriculture easier, I'd be the most powerful relief worker ever.

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
Earthbending/ Metalbending Cause Toph and Lin Bei Fong are BAMF! Plus with my body type I think I'm more suited to the rather heavy looking style of Earthbending. Though Iroh was Big and he was a fire bender...Scratch that he was a Fire Bender LIKE A BOSS! Plus think of all the things you can do with Earth Bending and Metal Bending. Hell if you learn to use Sonics like Lin and Toph you can't ever be caught of guard. and Lin's Metal Bending was highly acrobatic so it's not limited the the heavy guys either. The one downside is that the purer the metal the harder it is to bend. And apparently Platinum can't be bended at all.

Second choice is Water Bending, though Blood Bending is well...questionable. But who wouldn't like to be able to create Ice with a simple wave of the arm. And Hell the stuff Katara pulls off in The Last Airbender (show not the god awful movie) Is Nucking Futs.

lizabeth19

Nov 30, 2010
Waterbending, because of the three following perversions of said power: (1) To have a good time, all you have to do is hop into the bedroom. (2) You can make ice anywhere, anytime. (3) A good enough Bloodbender would never have to worry about their male partner...ahem, finishing the race too early.

Waterbending: the most useful form of Bending in the bedroom.

Amgeo

Apr 14, 2011
While I'd probably be an Earthbender, I have thought about "advanced" airbending, and I think that bending sound is logical step forward.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
No love for Firebending, what? Dude, Azula had rocket feet. I could fly with ROCKET FEET. Or power my own glider with thermals, or a hot air balloon, or something. Also, Aang is a pansy and doesn't like fighting, and I'm definitely not conflict-averse.

I am also an electrical engineer, so I'd be looking at what I could do with lightning.

Firebending *all the way.* I could make infinite energy, power things myself, fly with rocket feet, and generally be awesome.

kfwanderer

Oct 1, 2008
Airbending. Definitely. You'll RARELY find yourself in a place without air. Also, Airbending is the closest thing to telekinetics, as Aang proved in his first fight with Zuko. You can use air to manipulate earth, water, and fire.

As for possible secondary powers of Airbending:

1) Being able to create air instead of just manipulating it, like Firebenders do.
2) Being able to control tempuratures of air. That'd give you freezing abilities like Waterbenders, but without the need for water.
3) I like the sound idea. Being a master of sound would be a HUGE power, though. Enough sound can destroy just about anything, and if unless you limit distance, you can communicate with anyone and quite possibly augment your own hearing.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
BiscuitTrouser said:
Solid air in your lungs? Sucks to be you.
Or how about no air in your lungs? Much easier to do, just move it instead of changing its state of matter.

OT: Firebending, because I just enjoy fire.

fluffybunny937

Jul 5, 2009
I would go for earthbending. Mostly because I live in a desert area, and sand bending is a subset of earth bending.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
Water, because I love to swim. Plus it gives me control of people via blood (plus I can take away powers apparently), ice powers for defense, and I can heal people.

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
I'd love to be a firebender. I just love fire (was a little pyro-lover since childhood). And lightningbending is just pure awesome.

However, if we look at the connection between bending and personality, I'd say earth/waterbending would suit me more. Preferably earthbending; I feel like it's my natural element (and due to my chosen career, I spend a lot of time amongst dirt and rocks and I love it).

Mamzelle_Kat

Aug 23, 2010
Man, this is so hard to choose... Then again, every element rocks in its own way, so no matter what element I ended up with, I'd still be happy.

Preference goes to fire, because of awesome reasons.
However, I also really like water because of the versatility, as other people have said before me.

Ryujisama

Sep 3, 2010
Though I love Northern Shaolin Kung Fu (fire bending), I'd have to say that my heart is with Tai Chi (water bending). It combines the best elements of all forms of bending offense, defense, and control, and it even has the power to heal. I'm a pretty laid back kind of guy, and I've always enjoyed the "flow" of things. From the way that gears connect in a complex machine, to the excellent choreography in a high-level fight sequence in some of my favorite Kung-Fu films, flow has always been a major fascination to me. And one of the founding principals of martial arts is to be like water: formless, yet can take on any form; powerful, yet can let any object of any shape pass through it. Water is king.

As for advanced airbending, Sound manipulation can be a useful and very dangerous thing. Being able to nullify the vibrations around a room could make it sound-proof (a.k.a. secret meetings ANYWHERE!!!), increasing one's hearing and or communication skills (instant loud-speaker!) or being able to destroy things by vibrating at a high-enough frequency. Plus, if controlled correctly, it could easily knock someone unconscious, making it even more aligned with the air bender's creed of non-killing. And since sound is generated by the vibrations in air, I'd say it suits air bending perfectly.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Air gives me the most freedom I can imagine. Flying, traveling really fast, being clever is all fun. I am not a slender person, to say the least, but I think that that shouldn't be an issue. if I had to pick another, I'm seriously torn between earth and water bending. Water allows for more mobility and versatility, but I like to build, and earth is everywhere. I think that watrer would work best in modern society.

Also, I like how almost everyone here realises that you won't be punching bad guys out on a daily basis, and therefore will have no use of fire.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
The advanced Airbending technique is Fartbending as used by Meloo.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Why Firebending of course.

I love fire and I love all the little things you can do with fire, even with movement since as we've seen you can use it to propel yourself into the air and glide aswell.

Also, lightning is fucking awesome too. Although, I do see the benefits to all the other bending styles... In fact, fuck it i'm the Avatar.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
As a geology major, I'd have to go with earthbending. It's pretty much everywhere I usually am and the concept of metal bending as well as seismic sense are just too appealing to me.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Based on combat styles, water or air. I'm highly mobile and try to remain fluid. Power-wise it's about equal between the two as well, though healing abilities usually win out with me.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
I'd probably end up being a Firebender. Temper, aggressiveness, every aspect of my personality screams firebending. (Plus, if we take the Chinese Zodiac into prospect, I'm a Leo there and Leo is fire, so it fits. :D)

I guess, if I had bending abilities in the real world, Earthbending would be the most useful, I would think. Firebending is just too much fun though. :D