Poll: Babymetal

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
My friend and I were scouring the net searching for Jmetal bands after a couple months of being obsessed with Maximum the Hormone awhile back. This was one of our finds. Certainly not the best metal has to offer...

I gotta say though, I really dig it. If it's not power metal, I like my metal be a bit odd. This definitely fills my craving when I'm in the mood for some different sounding stuff. I usually listen to them in conjunction with bands like Acid Bath and it takes me on a wild ride.

Edit: While I'd definitely consider it "Awesome!", it's nothing I'd listen to for a long period of time. It's real swell to hear every once in awhile.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Weaver said:
I kind of like it for what it is I suppose, but it sounds just a little too "overproduced".
Those were the words I was looking for. There may have been potential but it felt as if they were trying to distill the key elements of heavy metal but diluted it with simple pop molodies/riffs and combined it with j-pop lyrics and vocal styles. Ultimately not the perfect pasta sauce and far too many artificial flavours for me to stomach.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Just talking about the chocolate song, has anyone here ever played Brutal Legend? It's one of my favorite games.

I bring it up because does anyone remember that opening cutscene where the band Eddie roadies for starts playing their song and then it all goes downhill from there?

The other two songs seem a lot more like the other women's Japanese metal I've heard.

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
It's mostly just J-Pop with a metal riff and some double bass thrown in...
I guess the stage act is good, not my thing tho :p

Biggyzoom

Jan 9, 2013
Musically it's not doing any wrong (for the most part, the chorus to Chocolate was stupid) listen to just the audio and it'll probably be alright. The dance choreography was truly ridiculous in my opinion. I would accept it as a gateway to other metal though. If it gets young girls into metal then there's nothing wrong with that.

MeTalHeD

Feb 19, 2014
Alarien said:
Panthera said:
First of all, there isn't exactly any sort of "accepted norm". Metal of all kinds has continued to be produced through the 90s and 2000s. If you want clean vocals, there's no lack of it to be found.

Second, coherent vocals are not exactly important. Most lyrics in metal (and music in general really) aren't all that great anyway, so it's not like you're missing out on much, and the actual sound is far more important than the clarity of the words being said. Harsh vocals (obviously) sound entirely different than conventional singing, so they bring a different sound to the table. Something that works with one vocal style is probably not going to work with another. The analogy people often use is that in most genres, the vocals are playing a role similar to a guitar, while harsh vocals are playing a role more similar to the drums. I don't know how accurate that really is but a lot of people like looking at it that way. In any event, when your music is trying to be rough and abrasive, you want vocals that are like that as well. There's certainly a ton of music I love that could never have had the same intensity, impact or emotional appeal had it not used harsh vocal styles.
Of course there is not an accepted norm. I think you missed the point that I wasn't really being critical, I was asking an honest question. I am aware that there is still clean vocal metal, it's just that a lot of what I run across being trumpeted by the fans (fans, not fanboys) is usually often stuff like this:

I can't understand it. Literally, I have no idea what (she... apparently) is saying. So, the idea of emotional appeal or impact is lost on me, completely. I understand that it isn't on others, but what I'm asking is it about this that speaks to you?

I don't mind harsh or gravelly, so long as I can understand it. One of the responses to my previous post gave a great list of gravelly screamers that were also actually coherent. Since I have always liked Dave Draiman since I first listened to Disturbed (a long time ago when I was in the army), he's a good example, for me, of shouty/screamy gravelly.

I get him. I don't get Abnormality or Galmat. Not saying they are bad, but sorta wondering what it is that drives people to like this vocal style... if anything specific or that can be articulated.

Also, you can save the lectures on how good lyrics are. I came back from an extended break in the 80s on classical and jazz during the post-punk and grunge. Except for Pearl Jam and Eddie's need to be politically relevant (other than wimping out on Yellow Ledbetter), no one ever really accused grunge of having coherent, intelligent lyrics.
Hold on a moment there...there are, however, bands with emotional appeal and so-called "incoherent" vocals, such as Fleshgod Apocalypse. I didn't like the guttural vocal style of many death metal bands for years until I found a few which it worked for. I didn't like Cryptopsy's vocals but the music kept me coming back for more. Then I found out they had different vocalists and was hooked to a few albums. For example, I also HATED In Flames when I first heard them, but I understood (after a while) what they were doing. Also, I hated the vocals of the lead singer in Muse, not because he couldn't sing (he can) but because he takes these deep breaths now and then which put me off. I had to get over that to appreciate them because I actually liked their style. You shouldn't have to be forced to enjoy anything so I gave the bands a chance, and because I liked the music, I researched it and found different bands use different vocal techniques. Another example would be Benighted. Benighted are nuts, and that's why I love them, but the vocals change from deep to screamy and sometimes you can actually make out what they are saying.

As for Fleshgod Apocalypse, I didn't need to understand what they were, uh, growling (they have awesome lyrics though) to get the music.

I present to you, Fleshgod Apocalypse and my favourite song from them, The Violation:

Hope you enjoy it ^_^

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Panthera said:
Most lyrics in metal (and music in general really) aren't all that great anyway, so it's not like you're missing out on much, and the actual sound is far more important than the clarity of the words being said. Harsh vocals (obviously) sound entirely different than conventional singing, so they bring a different sound to the table. Something that works with one vocal style is probably not going to work with another.
Are we glossing over Power Metal here? Because while the lyrics may be downright silly at times (Alestorm and Gloryhammer have already been mentioned in this thread) There's generally still a story to tell. One example is Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle-Earth album. Based off stories of the Silmarillion, they may not make as much sense if you've never read it, but if you have, listening to the lyrics is bound to give you a nerdgasm.

DucksFTW

Jan 29, 2014
Goddamn it I thought we would be discussing an educational metal band and at what age are kids able to listen to metal and the like.

Nevertheless, as someone who is rather flippant when it comes to music, they're...alright. I tend to give gimmicky bands a shot and I vehemently enjoy super girly jpop along with my metal. But together it's kind of a mess. They don't really know how to mix the genres and it ends up sounding more like a traditional J-rock band honestly. If they took out the pigtail twins I think they'd do better. Besides I already have my cute-girl-who-also-does-metal-and-is-big-in-japan fix.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Alarien said:
I can't understand it. Literally, I have no idea what (she... apparently) is saying. So, the idea of emotional appeal or impact is lost on me, completely. I understand that it isn't on others, but what I'm asking is it about this that speaks to you?

I don't mind harsh or gravelly, so long as I can understand it. One of the responses to my previous post gave a great list of gravelly screamers that were also actually coherent. Since I have always liked Dave Draiman since I first listened to Disturbed (a long time ago when I was in the army), he's a good example, for me, of shouty/screamy gravelly.

I get him. I don't get Abnormality or Galmat. Not saying they are bad, but sorta wondering what it is that drives people to like this vocal style... if anything specific or that can be articulated.
If needing to understand the lyrics is important, then you're sort of missing the point of what makes these bands appealing. People care little, if any, for what the lyrics are actually saying. At best, understanding them is a nice touch. The emphasis is really on the music, and you could almost think of the lyrics as just giving an excuse to add an extra voice (i.e. the vocals) to the song. This, of course, may change with certain bands, but even with them, people are attracted due more to their musicianship, including how the vocals (not lyrics) merge with the music. Lyrical content doesn't really matter, and if you can't really get past the need to understand lyrics (which is not a bad thing at all), then that would obviously lead to problems with finding appeal in music that was never meant to be listened to for the lyrics.

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
This video pretty much sums up what most, if not all metal sounds like to me. I've heard quite a bit of metal, I know that there are tons of genres and all of that, but after all is said and done I'm still not a fan. Especially when the band employs that horrible, stupid growling that fucks up all the lyrics. If you're going to sing all of your songs that way, how the hell am I supposed to tell your songs about eating the souls of christian babies apart from your songs about the suffering and pain you feel inside? Maybe you'd feel less pain in your insides if you ate regular food instead of babies and stopped growling all the time.

I can't honestly say that the addition of J- or K-pop singers to the death metal mix has improved matters. You can feel the gears grinding when the band switches from the main riffs to the vocals. The fact that the band even has to switch should tip people off that this mix isn't especially homogenous. I wouldn't say that it's bad, but... well... I don't have anything nice to say either.
Cerebrawl said:
Good japanese metal band with female singer:
This one actually wasn't all bad. It kind of reminds me of Nightwish, but Japanese. I wonder if they use the same amount of cliche imagery in their lyrics that Nightwish does. I wouldn't know the difference, so I can just enjoy the sound of her voice.

I guess what you should take away from this post is that all music is terrible, and the only thing more insufferable than a music fan is a musician.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Eh It's not really my thing. I don't like the high-pitched child-like (to me) vocals and the playing isn't great either.

Cerebrawl said:
Good japanese metal band with female singer:
This I like.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
INF1NIT3 D00M said:
I can't honestly say that the addition of J- or K-pop singers to the death metal mix has improved matters. You can feel the gears grinding when the band switches from the main riffs to the vocals. The fact that the band even has to switch should tip people off that this mix isn't especially homogenous.
While I agree that babymetal are awful, there's entire genres of metal where switching between different beats plays a large part, for example progressive metal, which happens to be my favorite genre.

A song that illustrates this perfectly:

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
Cerebrawl said:
INF1NIT3 D00M said:
DementedSheep said:
This I like.
You two might also enjoy the band I think I liked the most out of those I found when looking for examples for this thread:

Okay, I have to admit, I really liked that song. In fact, I'm on board with pretty much everything in the video. I'm going to look into this band.

nariette

Jun 9, 2013
I'm... Confused. I'm surprised that this is even a thing. I have absolutely no knowledge in metal, and can't say I enjoyed the minutes I heard of any kind of metal (God I'm glad this is the escapist or my house would have been nuked or something). I do respect it as a genre and don't think it's any less music than rock or other genres. It just doesn't do "the thing" for me.

What the metal-connaisseurs here say, this is pretty bad for metal. I'll take your word for it, but I do think it's good that pop artists are thinking outside of the box. Perhaps if pop rolemodels will do more rock or metal songs the more alternative genres will become more "normal" for people to listen to. People who would actually like these genres would get introduced to it. If it wasn't for Guitar Hero I am quite sure I would have still been listening to Britney Spears (I am ashamed of my pre-teen years).

Dirty Hipsters said:
Um...yeah, so that was a thing.
It really sounds like someone took some random japanese pop song and superimposed it over a really generic metal track. The two just don't flow together, and the high pitched voices of the girls really don't complement the music whatsoever.
I agree, their voices seem to suit pop music better and it doesn't seem the lyrics were actually written to fit metal. I guess they either want to get famous or they must really love doing this.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Cerebrawl said:
INF1NIT3 D00M said:
DementedSheep said:
This I like.
You two might also enjoy the band I think I liked the most out of those I found when looking for examples for this thread:

Nice, might have to follow up on this band since I'm running low on good music and don't mind not understanding the lyrics.
That dose mean I can't sing along though the others in my vicinity would no doubt be grateful for that.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It's a weird combo (rock but with Jpop voices) but it seen to work since the rock part doesn't interfere the vocal part.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
Given Japan's weird obsession with manufactured kid bands, I have to give them credit for at least trying to mix a little bit of metal in, no matter how contrived it is. That said, Babymetal is not my cup of tea. I'll take Sigh or Boris over Babymetal any day of the week.

Fun fact: Babymetal have been accused of lip-synching their live performances. I mean, that shouldn't come as a surprise given the genre they're in (j-pop), but that strikes me as being much more offensive than the actual music. I have no respect for musicians that pull that kind of shit.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
DucksFTW said:
Goddamn it I thought we would be discussing an educational metal band and at what age are kids able to listen to metal and the like.

Nevertheless, as someone who is rather flippant when it comes to music, they're...alright. I tend to give gimmicky bands a shot and I vehemently enjoy super girly jpop along with my metal. But together it's kind of a mess. They don't really know how to mix the genres and it ends up sounding more like a traditional J-rock band honestly. If they took out the pigtail twins I think they'd do better. Besides I already have my cute-girl-who-also-does-metal-and-is-big-in-japan fix.

I.....uhhhhh........WHU?

That Ladybeard thing is absolutely hilariously ridiculous. The only part of it that I kind of object to is the occasional weird pronunciation of the Japanese. I'm American, but I did study and live in Tokyo for about a semester and so hearing someone mispronounce "suki" as "sue-key" instead of more like "ski" made me cringe a bit.

Also, I showed my wife, who loves anime and Japanese weirdness in general, he Babymetal videos and she just laughed for a few minutes.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Those songs were terrible. I dunno how I managed to endure all three songs in the OP without wanting to jab chopsticks in my ears, but I succeeded.

Aside from Blood Stain Child, I can't think of any decent J-Metal bands (I'll give Destrose a chance since it's been mentioned. Plus, I have a thing for female-fronted or all-female metal bands)