Poll: Baldur's Gates HD with DLC

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
I'm still reserving judgement; while I'd like to love these remakes, they'll have to work very hard to be superior to the hyper-modded versions of each game that I have perma-installed on my comp.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
ruthaford_jive said:
What? Fuck no. From what I can see the game will be more of less like the old one but with higher resolution and some new gizmos. If they start putting out DLC of this thing, I'll just stick with the old game and play the millions of damn mods already out. Besides, they're supporting mods anyway (apparently) and if that's the case, then what's the point in DLC? I guess it could be alright, but I'm very weary of when companies are 'planning DLC'
They said they are planning on supporting the game after release with DLC not they are already planning specific DLC.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
More or less this:

kingthrall said:
cash grab or not, I dont care Ill still buy it and support anything to do with this classic game. if the finances go in some small way to making the 2nd installment then I have no care in the world not to employ DLC into the game.
Even if it is a blatant cash grab, I hope it's a successful one if only to prove to developers and publishers alike that these sorts of rpg are still desired after and are a genuine market. I had hoped Dragon Age: Origins would be that wake-up call but unfortunately it's massive success seems to have completely flown over everyones head.

Yali

Jul 2, 2012
I'll have the bacon, please.
I'm all for a new HD version and I'll definitely buy it. I secretly hope this move motivates other companies to do the same with other classic games. That's a good thing! Keep em alive and well, no better yet... give em a face lift, implants, augmentations and send them in for round 2. Yeah...

I just don't think the game needs DLC. It's good the way it is.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I think if they were to go the 'DLC' route, it should be differing rules. I am used to and love 3.5 edition rules for D&D. I cannot figure out the system for AD&D. If this game came in a 3.5e version, I would pick it up in a heartbeat and finish this game.

They should also allow modding for it as well, but EA gets its fingers in this doesn't it?

*Weary sigh...*

Smokej

Nov 22, 2010
any dlc below the quality of a ToB or TotSC would be a disgrace for that gaming series... i have high hopes for this project but work ethics and promises aren't much worth with the chance for some quick cash

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
ruthaford_jive said:
80Maxwell08 said:
ruthaford_jive said:
What? Fuck no. From what I can see the game will be more of less like the old one but with higher resolution and some new gizmos. If they start putting out DLC of this thing, I'll just stick with the old game and play the millions of damn mods already out. Besides, they're supporting mods anyway (apparently) and if that's the case, then what's the point in DLC? I guess it could be alright, but I'm very weary of when companies are 'planning DLC'
They said they are planning on supporting the game after release with DLC not they are already planning specific DLC.
It says in the post right above this one that they are planning paid DLC. I don't think it's bad in itself, I just think it's kinda strange. Who's gonna pay for DLC when there is tons of free mods out there? Maybe, if it's good I suppose, but I'm just a little weary of the whole thing I guess.
I wasn't arguing the DLC was going to be paid I was saying they aren't already planning out what it's going to be like what Darksiders 2 is doing. They are working on the new content for the game along with the improvements then they are going to make DLC. It just sounded like you thought they were already making the DLC when they are going to be doing so post release. Also I don't have an answer to your question aside from people who want to give them money. I know that sounds absolutely dumb but one of the main forces for this is if these remakes are successful they are going to be pushing for making BG3. If you are weary of it then fine I can't really say any more I was just trying to clear things up from what sounded like a misconception.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Anthraxus said:
Even if these guys do eventually do a BG3, who's to say if they are even capable of doing it any justice ?

BG3 was actually gonna be done by Black Isle and called 'The Black Hound', but unfortunately got cancelled.

Well to very quickly answer you Beamdog are made of ex-Bioware staff who worked on the original games. Also a bit of trivia. Josh Sawyer, the lead designer for BG3, was trying to make The Black Hound as a module for Neverwinter Nights 2 but because of the amount of time it required he had to cancel it. Pity about that though since it's not connected to the rest of the BG games maybe they could try making a deal with Hasbro one day for the D&D rights to do it.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Anthraxus said:
So this is only gonna be released on that shit Origin DRM thing ?
No it's going to be released only on Beamdog since that is their digital distribution service. Also EA and Bioware have absolutely nothing to do with this. They don't own a single bit of the BG games save the engine and even then Overhaul (Beamdog's game studio) have done so much work I think they now have their own version of the engine.

Pseudoboss

Apr 17, 2011
"The Beamdog version will be available with or without our client. We've heard all the "I love Steam more than kitties" so no client." -- Trent Oster
I think this means that you don't need Beamdog's distrubution, but still not on Steam.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Pseudoboss said:
"The Beamdog version will be available with or without our client. We've heard all the "I love Steam more than kitties" so no client." -- Trent Oster
I think this means that you don't need Beamdog's distrubution, but still not on Steam.
Just saw that too but I still think you have to buy it from them. Just not install their client for it if I understood it correctly. Also people have been saying they will pirate it because it's not on Steam or GOG. Ugh. I like Steam but I understand the need for competition and they have had their digital service for a few years too. Considering the work they are putting in and their connection with the original I wish people could cut them some slack for actually having something of their own.