Poll: Best Call of Duty Campaign? (Limited to my specific list of games though)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
For some reason I am starting to appreaciate the Campaigns of Call of Duty games specifically these list of games which imo was when Call of Duty was at its peak Campaign wise:

The Modern Warfare Trilogy, World at War, and Black Ops 1 and 2.

Call of Duty 1, 2, 3, and other WW2 spinoffs don't count aswell as the games that came after Call of Duty Black Ops 2 because the former at this point is kinda dated and the latter just does not have the quality that I expect from a COD campaign.

So just to sate my boredom and sudden interest in COD at the moment. What was your favorite?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
I cant vote because best COD campaign are 1 and 2.

they are not spinoff. they are best and only good ones. after that series become terrible.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
B-Cell said:
I cant vote because best COD campaign are 1 and 2.

they are not spinoff. they are best and only good ones. after that series become terrible.
I mean spinoffs as in Call of Duty Finest Hour and Call of Duty 2: Big Red One.

And I am sorry but I recently played COD 2 and I was bored and I miss sprinting and picking up grenades.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Um...Finest Hour?

TBH, it's the only CoD game I've played outside the first one.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Call of Duty 4, no question. Its the best told, the most grounded and the only one that doesn't do something really stupid. No general turning traitor, no jumping across the world in 20 min, no being a ships captain that sucks at delegation. I think the gameplay was the best in mw2. (although it never really dipped much from there, so most of them after that still play great) I think the two that had the most story potential were Advanced Warfare and Infinite Warfare, AW just needed a bit of tightening up and IW could have used a less of the "we are under attack" narrative that cod loves to do and better delegation of responsibility.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Black Ops 2. Alterations in the story and ending caused by actions you make either purposefully or accidentally is always fun and adds replayability alongside the extra challenges you get for each mission.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Worgen said:
IW could have used a less of the "we are under attack" narrative that cod loves to do and better delegation of responsibility.
IW I really wanted to like, but the fact that the PC was both the CO and the head of EVERY assault and boarding party because he apparently didn't trust anyone else to do anything and the fact the entire campaign presumably takes place in a single day made it almost impossible to take it seriously.

That and the fact as much as the game drones on about "Sacrifice", almost all of the Sacrifice happens because the protagonists are stupid.

The Entire Navy on Fleet week at the same time despite a clear and present danger?
Our HQ got blown up during an ambush we set up because we somehow failed to take proper precautions against this sort of thing happening?
We sacrificed our last Carrier and the only thing protecting Earth on a suicide run to mars?

No shit earth is losing the war and losing so many people. The military leadership in IW seems to suffer from clinical brain damage.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Aerosteam said:
Black Ops 2. Alterations in the story and ending caused by actions you make either purposefully or accidentally is always fun and adds replayability alongside the extra challenges you get for each mission.
I was sorely tempted, but the Strike Op missions being generally broken tarnished that somewhat. And I really love the idea of the Strike Op missions, but considering they don't work very well and you need to win all of them to get the best ending....yeah.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
To be honest, i've played them all and can barely remember anything about the stories. when i try to remember things about the game i can remember certain difficult sections and how the guys spawn in and where to stand to have the best chance etc etc...but i can't remember the setup for why i'm killing 9 guys in a cafeteria that all jump out 2 seconds after the other and dress like 'bad guys'. Black ops was too easy. Modern Warfare 1 and 2 were tough. World at War was terrible

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
CannibalCorpses said:
To be honest, i've played them all and can barely remember anything about the stories. when i try to remember things about the game i can remember certain difficult sections and how the guys spawn in and where to stand to have the best chance etc etc...but i can't remember the setup for why i'm killing 9 guys in a cafeteria that all jump out 2 seconds after the other and dress like 'bad guys'. Black ops was too easy. Modern Warfare 1 and 2 were tough. World at War was terrible
The issue with World at War being what?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Worgen said:
IW could have used a less of the "we are under attack" narrative that cod loves to do and better delegation of responsibility.
IW I really wanted to like, but the fact that the PC was both the CO and the head of EVERY assault and boarding party because he apparently didn't trust anyone else to do anything and the fact the entire campaign presumably takes place in a single day made it almost impossible to take it seriously.

That and the fact as much as the game drones on about "Sacrifice", almost all of the Sacrifice happens because the protagonists are stupid.

The Entire Navy on Fleet week at the same time despite a clear and present danger?
Our HQ got blown up during an ambush we set up because we somehow failed to take proper precautions against this sort of thing happening?
We sacrificed our last Carrier and the only thing protecting Earth on a suicide run to mars?

No shit earth is losing the war and losing so many people. The military leadership in IW seems to suffer from clinical brain damage.
Yeah, I totally agree. I think a changing perspective would have helped the game a great deal, but they would have had to rewrite more of it... unless the co control a drone body or something, still silly but makes more sense then going into harm himself.

I'm willing to hand wave the fleet being destroyed and risking the last carrier stupidly since that is something that most of the cod narratives do, it still made more sense then russia invading the east coast then all of europe at once.

The cod series is just really afraid of putting the players side in a position of power for the events that its silly at this point. Its why cod 4 was narratively the best, it kept all the conflicts smaller and more local or even just showed the side you were on with overwhelming firepower. The rest tried to make it look like your side was always on the ropes.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
CannibalCorpses said:
The issue with World at War being what?
It was just annoying section after annoying section...i remember pushing through it but not enjoying it much at all.

Arnoxthe1 said:
CannibalCorpses said:
Black ops was too easy.
Did you turn up the difficulty?

I always play games on the hardest setting first time round, makes them last a bit longer :)

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
CannibalCorpses said:
I always play games on the hardest setting first time round, makes them last a bit longer :)
Well, Black Cops has the best story... MW1 is supposed to be really good but I haven't played t yet.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Worgen said:
Dalisclock said:
Worgen said:

Yeah, I totally agree. I think a changing perspective would have helped the game a great deal, but they would have had to rewrite more of it... unless the co control a drone body or something, still silly but makes more sense then going into harm himself.

I'm willing to hand wave the fleet being destroyed and risking the last carrier stupidly since that is something that most of the cod narratives do, it still made more sense then russia invading the east coast then all of europe at once.
Yeah, I'm still puzzled why they didn't do that. This series started out with the premise of "No one fights alone", both in having lots of NPC teammates and several different PC characters. What's more, they kept the changing perspectives thing going at least up through Black Ops 2. Hell, IW even let you play as some poor doomed fellow in the opening mission, if only so Evil Jon Snow could kill you in person, but for whatever reason, having a separate Marine and CO PC was too much to bear.

Hell, they had a Marine character already in the game(Can't remember his name but he's a dead ringer for Idris Elba), so having you play as him for half the game would have been perfect.

Not gonna defend MW3. While some individual missions were great, the story and gameplay didn't tie together very well and half the story just seems to happen because. Europe is invaded just after the Russians are brutally beat back from an Invasion of the US. Makarov wants to Nuke the West despite the fact he apparently controls the Russian Military(except when he doesn't) and the Russian Military spends most of the game winning in Europe(so why risk MAD when you're the one on the offensive?). And that whole thing about the Russian President being all "We need to make peace because it's the right thing to do" even though presumably this is the same dude who ordered the Russian Invasion of the US because one dead CIA agent was found at the scene of a terrorist incident(Ignoring a known Russian terrorist with his face clearly visible at the scene). Then there's the whole issue of the Russian Military gleely blowing up civilians left and right during the US invasion, which stands at stark contrast to "We get rid of our enemies by making them our friends".

MW1 at least made sense even if only by Hollywood film standards. MW2 and MW3 went down the route of "Special Effects=Story" and drowned in it.