Poll: Best Call of Duty Campaign? (Limited to my specific list of games though)

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
CoD 2 and Modern Warfare 1 are my favorites. Haven't played anything after Black Ops 1

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
JUMBO PALACE said:
CoD 2 and Modern Warfare 1 are my favorites. Haven't played anything after Black Ops 1
Highly recommend Black Ops 2, it was the last good Call of Duty:

Modern Warfare 3, it was ok. Follows where the second game left off, and the campaign at least shines through the sheer amount of variety of places you visit.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Difficult to choose between "World at War" and "Black Ops II" for me. I adore the atmosphere and most of the missions of the former but also really enjoy the cheesy delight that is Raul Menendez, the divergent story/gameplay options and multiple little great moments of the latter.

I have a lot of love for all of the options besides "Modern Warfare 3" though.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
B-Cell said:
I cant vote because best COD campaign are 1 and 2.

they are not spinoff. they are best and only good ones. after that series become terrible.
I mean spinoffs as in Call of Duty Finest Hour and Call of Duty 2: Big Red One.

And I am sorry but I recently played COD 2 and I was bored and I miss sprinting and picking up grenades.
So the expertly crafted original CODs weren't the peak of campaigns for you because... you can't sprint and pick up nades? OK...

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
It's really a shame that CoD 2: Big Red One never got a PC port. It was definitely the best CoD game and it had, easily, the most interesting locations. Granted, the game is basically Band of Brothers: The Game, to the point that Treyarch even got the BoB actors to voice the characters, but it was a lot of fun. Really, the only downside is that the controls are early 2000s trash.

Failing Big Red One, definitely CoD4. Modern Warfare 1 struck a good balance between plausibility and high-octane fun. Plus the Pripyat missions gave me S.T.A.L.K.E.R. flashbacks, which is always great.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Evonisia said:
Difficult to choose between "World at War" and "Black Ops II" for me. I adore the atmosphere and most of the missions of the former but also really enjoy the cheesy delight that is Raul Menendez, the divergent story/gameplay options and multiple little great moments of the latter.

I have a lot of love for all of the options besides "Modern Warfare 3" though.
There used to be the saying that Treyarch made the better Call of Duty games, until Black Ops 3 happened :(

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
There used to be the saying that Treyarch made the better Call of Duty games, until Black Ops 3 happened :(
There was?

My understanding was that Treyarch was generally regarded as the secondary developer of the series, until IW released MW3, and then Treyarch followed with BO2. From what I've seen, IW seems to have been in poor standing since Ghosts, if not MW3. Not sure how Sledgehammer fits into the hierarchy (if there is one).

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
There was?

My understanding was that Treyarch was generally regarded as the secondary developer of the series, until IW released MW3, and then Treyarch followed with BO2. From what I've seen, IW seems to have been in poor standing since Ghosts, if not MW3. Not sure how Sledgehammer fits into the hierarchy (if there is one).
Call of Duty World at War gave us the much loved Zombies games. (I like COD zombies better than Left 4 Dead)

Call of Duty Black Ops 1 is overall considered one of the best COD games ever after MW1 if not THE best.

Black Ops 2 imo is an overall better package than Modern Warfare 3.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Worgen said:
Dalisclock said:
Worgen said:
IW could have used a less of the "we are under attack" narrative that cod loves to do and better delegation of responsibility.
IW I really wanted to like, but the fact that the PC was both the CO and the head of EVERY assault and boarding party because he apparently didn't trust anyone else to do anything and the fact the entire campaign presumably takes place in a single day made it almost impossible to take it seriously.

That and the fact as much as the game drones on about "Sacrifice", almost all of the Sacrifice happens because the protagonists are stupid.

The Entire Navy on Fleet week at the same time despite a clear and present danger?
Our HQ got blown up during an ambush we set up because we somehow failed to take proper precautions against this sort of thing happening?
We sacrificed our last Carrier and the only thing protecting Earth on a suicide run to mars?

No shit earth is losing the war and losing so many people. The military leadership in IW seems to suffer from clinical brain damage.
Yeah, I totally agree. I think a changing perspective would have helped the game a great deal, but they would have had to rewrite more of it... unless the co control a drone body or something, still silly but makes more sense then going into harm himself.

I'm willing to hand wave the fleet being destroyed and risking the last carrier stupidly since that is something that most of the cod narratives do, it still made more sense then russia invading the east coast then all of europe at once.
Yeah, I'm still puzzled why they didn't do that. This series started out with the premise of "No one fights alone", both in having lots of NPC teamates and several different PC characters. What's more, they kept the changing perspectives thing going at least up through Black Ops 2. Hell, IW even let you play as some poored doomed fellow in the opening mission, if only so Evil Jon Snow could kill you in person, but for whatever reason, having a separate Marine and CO PC was too much to bear.

Hell, they had a Marine character already in the game(Can't remember his name but he's a dead ringer for Idris Elba), so having you play as him for half the game would have been perfect.

Not gonna defend MW3. While some individual missions were great, the story and gameplay didn't tie together very well and half the story just seems to happen because. Europe is invaded just after the Russians are brutally beat back from an Invasion of the US. Makarov wants to Nuke the West despite the fact he apparently controls the Russian Military(except when he doesn't) and the Russian Military spends most of the game winning in Europe(so why risk MAD when you're the one on the offensive?). And that whole thing about the Russian President being all "We need to make peace because it's the right thing to do" even though presumably this is the same dude who ordered the Russian Invasion of the US because one dead CIA agent was found at the scene of a terrorist incident(Ignoring a known Russian terrorist with his face clearly visible at the scene). Then there's the whole issue of the Russian Military gleely blowing up civilians left and right during the US invasion, which stands at stark contrast to "We get rid of our enemies by making them our friends".

MW1 at least made sense even if only by Hollywood film standards. MW2 and MW3 went down the route of "Special Effects=Story" and drowned in it.
I think it has to do with the fact that after most of the people at infinity ward left most of the games were about essentially a super solder type squad, especially the blops series so it just focused more and more on a single guy who was in all the right places.

Everything about the story in mw2 and 3 was dumb, the trator general, the Russian invasion and second invasion, a separate faction in the Russian government that managed to pretty much comand all their military, the gassing of cities to emphasize how bad they were and the fact there was no mw4 about a full US/Eurasian invasion of Russia. There is no way in fuck after the events of mw2/3 we would not have invaded Russia.

I would actually say COD4 makes sense from more then just a film standard, it actually holds up pretty well, none of the other ones do though, even the interesting ones, those are all movie at best.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Worgen said:
Dalisclock said:
Worgen said:
Dalisclock said:
Worgen said:
IW could have used a less of the "we are under attack" narrative that cod loves to do and better delegation of responsibility.
IW I really wanted to like, but the fact that the PC was both the CO and the head of EVERY assault and boarding party because he apparently didn't trust anyone else to do anything and the fact the entire campaign presumably takes place in a single day made it almost impossible to take it seriously.

That and the fact as much as the game drones on about "Sacrifice", almost all of the Sacrifice happens because the protagonists are stupid.

The Entire Navy on Fleet week at the same time despite a clear and present danger?
Our HQ got blown up during an ambush we set up because we somehow failed to take proper precautions against this sort of thing happening?
We sacrificed our last Carrier and the only thing protecting Earth on a suicide run to mars?

No shit earth is losing the war and losing so many people. The military leadership in IW seems to suffer from clinical brain damage.
Yeah, I totally agree. I think a changing perspective would have helped the game a great deal, but they would have had to rewrite more of it... unless the co control a drone body or something, still silly but makes more sense then going into harm himself.

I'm willing to hand wave the fleet being destroyed and risking the last carrier stupidly since that is something that most of the cod narratives do, it still made more sense then russia invading the east coast then all of europe at once.
Yeah, I'm still puzzled why they didn't do that. This series started out with the premise of "No one fights alone", both in having lots of NPC teamates and several different PC characters. What's more, they kept the changing perspectives thing going at least up through Black Ops 2. Hell, IW even let you play as some poored doomed fellow in the opening mission, if only so Evil Jon Snow could kill you in person, but for whatever reason, having a separate Marine and CO PC was too much to bear.

Hell, they had a Marine character already in the game(Can't remember his name but he's a dead ringer for Idris Elba), so having you play as him for half the game would have been perfect.

Not gonna defend MW3. While some individual missions were great, the story and gameplay didn't tie together very well and half the story just seems to happen because. Europe is invaded just after the Russians are brutally beat back from an Invasion of the US. Makarov wants to Nuke the West despite the fact he apparently controls the Russian Military(except when he doesn't) and the Russian Military spends most of the game winning in Europe(so why risk MAD when you're the one on the offensive?). And that whole thing about the Russian President being all "We need to make peace because it's the right thing to do" even though presumably this is the same dude who ordered the Russian Invasion of the US because one dead CIA agent was found at the scene of a terrorist incident(Ignoring a known Russian terrorist with his face clearly visible at the scene). Then there's the whole issue of the Russian Military gleely blowing up civilians left and right during the US invasion, which stands at stark contrast to "We get rid of our enemies by making them our friends".

MW1 at least made sense even if only by Hollywood film standards. MW2 and MW3 went down the route of "Special Effects=Story" and drowned in it.
I think it has to do with the fact that after most of the people at infinity ward left most of the games were about essentially a super solder type squad, especially the blops series so it just focused more and more on a single guy who was in all the right places.

Everything about the story in mw2 and 3 was dumb, the trator general, the Russian invasion and second invasion, a separate faction in the Russian government that managed to pretty much comand all their military, the gassing of cities to emphasize how bad they were and the fact there was no mw4 about a full US/Eurasian invasion of Russia. There is no way in fuck after the events of mw2/3 we would not have invaded Russia. .
That might explain the drop in story quality for MW3, but not for MW2. MW2 had the same writer and most if not all of the lead developers from MW1. IW lost most of its original members after MW2. MW3 was done by an almost entirely new team.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I think the mere issue with the Wars in MW2 and 3 is Russia Invades America and Europe......where are the Nuclear Missles to stop this from happening? Where is All Out Nuclear Exchange?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Zetatrain said:
Worgen said:
Dalisclock said:
Worgen said:
Dalisclock said:
Worgen said:

Everything about the story in mw2 and 3 was dumb, the trator general, the Russian invasion and second invasion, a separate faction in the Russian government that managed to pretty much comand all their military, the gassing of cities to emphasize how bad they were and the fact there was no mw4 about a full US/Eurasian invasion of Russia. There is no way in fuck after the events of mw2/3 we would not have invaded Russia. .
That might explain the drop in story quality for MW3, but not for MW2. MW2 had the same writer and most if not all of the lead developers from MW1. IW lost most of its original members after MW2. MW3 was done by an almost entirely new team.
I was more of talking about the jump in the player character being an elite super solder of some elite squad. The original team at infinity ward seemed dedicated to the idea of being a cog in a larger machine but the people at treyarch seem to like the idea of the player character being an elite and after the people at infinity ward left, treyach was the experienced dev house. So the other teams that worked on cod started copying how treyarch did stories.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Samtemdo8 said:
I think the mere issue with the Wars in MW2 and 3 is Russia Invades America and Europe......where are the Nuclear Missles to stop this from happening? Where is All Out Nuclear Exchange?
They're all hiding in the giant diamond mine at the end of MW3 because why not?

Notice how the US doesn't respond when a Russian Submarine fires a nuke at the US in MW2, or how the death of the guy running the war(Shepherd) is barely even mentioned in MW3. Nor does TF141 ever prove Shepherd was a traitor, but somehow everyone is cool with dealing with them regardless in MW3 and by the end they're apparently good again.

It's one of many things that makes no sense, like the invasion of the US and then Europe in general. Especially since Europe somehow decided that "Oh, are all those Russian bombers headed to the US? What's that NATO thingy? Should we tell the US they're about to get attacked? Not our problem".

And apparently still decided it wasn't their problem up until the point Russia invaded them after the battle of New York, which ranks up there with the suicidal ineptitude of IW.