Poll: Best Cinematic Spiderman?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Tom Holland, even if his New York accent makes me think he should be shining shoes a hundred years ago.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
The Amazing Spider-Man movies felt the most "real" to me. The acting in the Raimi ones was a little over the top where it felt like I was watching a play instead of a movie.

Plus I think Andrew Garfield just nailed the character, he was charming, funny, and a bit of a goofball. And his chemistry with Emma Stone was off the charts.

I like the Amazing Spider-Man movies better as a whole, but the Raimi ones have the best moments (like when Spidey is trying to save 2 subway cars full of kids, and a bunch of New Yorkers start throwing things at the Green Goblin and say " you mess with one of us you mess with all of us!" Easily the best scene of all the Spider-Man films.)

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
DrownedAmmet said:
I like the Amazing Spider-Man movies better as a whole, but the Raimi ones have the best moments (like when Spidey is trying to save 2 subway cars full of kids, and a bunch of New Yorkers start throwing things at the Green Goblin and say " you mess with one of us you mess with all of us!" Easily the best scene of all the Spider-Man films.)
Looking back on that scene, it now strikes me as extremely cheesy and, given the movie's close proximity to the 9-11 attacks (came out the following year) a cheap attempt at showing New Yorkers (and Americans in general) coming together despite their differences. It might be that "You mess with one of us..." was a genuine scene that Rami always planned on hacing in the movie and I'm just a cynical bastard (I am in a way) but I doubt it.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
twistedmic said:
DrownedAmmet said:
Looking back on that scene, it now strikes me as extremely cheesy and, given the movie's close proximity to the 9-11 attacks (came out the following year) a cheap attempt at showing New Yorkers (and Americans in general) coming together despite their differences. It might be that "You mess with one of us..." was a genuine scene that Rami always planned on hacing in the movie and I'm just a cynical bastard (I am in a way) but I doubt it.
What you say is probably true, but the scene just works. Spider-Man is a New York superhero, to not include some patriotic feel-good fluff would have been inexcusable

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
twistedmic said:
DrownedAmmet said:
The "New Yorker" mentality existed like before 9/11.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DrownedAmmet said:
The Amazing Spider-Man movies felt the most "real" to me. The acting in the Raimi ones was a little over the top where it felt like I was watching a play instead of a movie.

Plus I think Andrew Garfield just nailed the character, he was charming, funny, and a bit of a goofball. And his chemistry with Emma Stone was off the charts.

See, I'll go to bat for ASM, in part because I liked Garfield in the role. But on the whole? ASM2 dragged the curve way down for me. I can't excuse the garbage fire of corporate meddling that was that movie. I'm also really bugged by the ending, which may have been corporate meddling or just a dumb idea.

I don't know if this makes them overall better or worse than the Raimi ones, because while I didn't like the first two, nothing they did was as offensively bad as ASM 2, and honestly? Even 3 didn't seem quite as bad. Even the tag team at the end. Even the spider-strut. Even the spider-strut.

Which is why I prefer Homecoming to both franchises. It's potentially unfair, as both prior series started better than they finished, and Sony may Sony this movie series into the ground, too. Their Venom movie makes me think they still haven't learned. But for any problems it might have, Holland is a likable teen Spider-Man who has a solid cast behind him, a good villain, and a decent plot. And he's more like the Spider-Man I've come to expect.

But to each their own. I just can't get beyond ASM2.

Apr 17, 2009
Something Amyss said:
DrownedAmmet said:

See, I'll go to bat for ASM, in part because I liked Garfield in the role. But on the whole? ASM2 dragged the curve way down for me. I can't excuse the garbage fire of corporate meddling that was that movie. I'm also really bugged by the ending, which may have been corporate meddling or just a dumb idea.

I don't know if this makes them overall better or worse than the Raimi ones, because while I didn't like the first two, nothing they did was as offensively bad as ASM 2, and honestly? Even 3 didn't seem quite as bad. Even the tag team at the end. Even the spider-strut. Even the spider-strut.

Which is why I prefer Homecoming to both franchises. It's potentially unfair, as both prior series started better than they finished, and Sony may Sony this movie series into the ground, too. Their Venom movie makes me think they still haven't learned. But for any problems it might have, Holland is a likable teen Spider-Man who has a solid cast behind him, a good villain, and a decent plot. And he's more like the Spider-Man I've come to expect.

But to each their own. I just can't get beyond ASM2.
The first ASM had some good points, I'll agree to that. For example I may not have liked Garfield in the role like you do but I like that he has an arc where you can see him develop. I just think that ASM is too mired in things I don't like to really call it good. I'd rank it along with SM3 in that "not great but not as bad as the internet usually says they are" category.

ASM2 on the other hand is just trash

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I was never really a fan of Toby McGuire. Andrew Garfield could have been good if he was better directed. Although I haven't seen Homecoming yet, based off his appearances in Civil War and Infinity War I'm going to say Tom Holland.