Poll: Best Decade for Cartoons (Updated)

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Squilookle said:
You made it a lot easier by omitting the Looney Tunes decades, so it really comes down to the 80's or the 90's. Personally I think you've missed a lot of very different and brilliant 80s shows in your sort of samey selection, and while I think that 90s shows were probably just a bit better overall, the 80s had so many different kinds of amazing shows I'd usually have to vote for them.

BUT-

Being the amazing shows they were, and being actually recognised as such, many of the great 80's cartoons saw re-runs well into the 90s, so as a best decade for cartoons and cartoon watching, I'd have to vote the 1990s.

Now where the hell are the re-runs of the Cosgrove Hall cartoons? Dammit the world needs more Danger Mouse!
Pretty much with you on this one. When you miss out the 30s, 40s and 50s, you end up skipping some of the best cartoons ever made.

Like this one:

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Looking at that list there I have to say that the 60s sucks for me. I generally don't like Hanna Barbera. Loony Tunes is great though, but they span much more than just the 60s.

The only 70s cartoon there I recognise is Hong Kong Phooey, which I don't like, it being Hanna Barbera.

Also I'm not sure The Simpsons counts as 80s. Yeah, it started in the 80s (the end of the 80s) but the show was dominant in the 90s. That's was when it was biggest and most relevant.

The other 80s cartoons there aren't really my thing. Maybe it's because I'm a 90s kid, so they were mostly before my time. I've watched re-runs of some of those shows though. TMNT was one of my favourite shows as a kid. But stuff like He-Man and ThunderCats... are kind of terrible.

As I mentioned, being a 90s kid I guess I have a bit of bias towards cartoons of that era. I do love them though. Cartoon Network and Nicktoons were so amazing.

I usually hate on cartoons from the 00s, but there's actually a lot of good listed here. Avatar is my favourite TV show of all time, and I love Spongebob, Ed Edd n Eddy and lots of other stuff from what I guess was earlier in the decade.

I usually think the 10s had a good collection of cartoons, but I only like two of those shows on the list. Adventure Time and LoK. Maybe that decade hasn't been as good as I thought it was. I guess it's just the quality across the board is better, or maybe it's just the good cartoons are getting the attention they deserve, opposed to the previous decade.

But I can't really choose. I thought it would be no contest and I would pick the 90s, but the 00s were better than I thought it seems.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
maninahat said:
Squilookle said:
You made it a lot easier by omitting the Looney Tunes decades, so it really comes down to the 80's or the 90's. Personally I think you've missed a lot of very different and brilliant 80s shows in your sort of samey selection, and while I think that 90s shows were probably just a bit better overall, the 80s had so many different kinds of amazing shows I'd usually have to vote for them.

BUT-

Being the amazing shows they were, and being actually recognised as such, many of the great 80's cartoons saw re-runs well into the 90s, so as a best decade for cartoons and cartoon watching, I'd have to vote the 1990s.

Now where the hell are the re-runs of the Cosgrove Hall cartoons? Dammit the world needs more Danger Mouse!
Pretty much with you on this one. When you miss out the 30s, 40s and 50s, you end up skipping some of the best cartoons ever made.

Like this one:
Loved it! But I couldn't help thinking Sinbad sounded like Chewbacca at 11:28!

Ben Agar

Dec 4, 2010
90's without doubt! Batman the Animated series and Beast Wars all just out do everything else, sorry other decades

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Either 90's or 2000's for me. 90's cause of the best of The Simpsons and South Park. And 2000's cause of some really great anime like FMA, Naruto (sometimes), Hunter X Hunter, etc.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Nostalgia makes me want to say the 90s, but objectively probably the 2000s. Highest production values for shows AND best types of shows. Danny Phantom, Avatar, Teen Titans, Samurai Jack, Foster's...Regular Show and all those other ADHD-fueled messes just don't compare to good writing, I'm afraid.

And yes, I am ignoring the cartoons of the early 20th century because I don't know enough about them to compare them to what I know about the cartoons I grew up with.

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
SomeLameStuff said:
2000. Because Megas XLR, something you SEEM TO HAVE LEFT OUT!

Ed130 said:
uneek said:
The 2000's
Ed, Edd n Eddy,
Ed, Edd and Eddy first aired in 1999, ending in 2009.

I'm also wondering why you didn't include Samurai Jack.

MIB and Roughnecks Starship Troopers Chronicles deserve more praise considering their origins.

Odbarc said:
Dragonball Z?
TheKasp said:
I sense a disturbing lack of the Powerpuff Girls!
Holy Shit! How'd I forget all of these! Hold on, guys. I'll fix it.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
That list settles it, The 90's win it for me!

Johnny Bravo, Animaniacs, Dexter's Lab, Gargoyles Futurama, Beast Wars AND Batman: The Animated Series?
Oh hells yes!

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
I... can't really decide. Each decade had their gems, their "Dear god what were they thinking!" moments and any mix in between. I'm personally partial to the 80's and 90's but there's cartoons from every decade that I enjoy.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
SomeLameStuff said:
2000. Because Megas XLR, something you SEEM TO HAVE LEFT OUT!

The only 'good' thing to ever come out of that state. Am I right?!

Due to nostalgia I'm not allowed to choose. I need to keep my options open at all times.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Despite being born in the 80's. My clear winner is the 90's:
Batman TAS, Spiderman TAS, Simpsons, Futurama and Southpark.
I can go back and watch all of these and still have a great time.

I'm impressed by the quality of shows still coming out though.
Cartoons continue to stay strong even if they are less memorable.

American Dad, Avenger's Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Samarai Jack, Bob's Burgers, and ever Star Wars Clone Wars have kept my interest more recently.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
This decade is looking promising for now, but it has yet to fill the clown sized boots of 90's.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
For me it'd be a tie between the 90's and 80's for 1st place and the 00's for second with the new 10's in third. i actually like all of the (non pony) shows you listed but the just don't have the same feel as watching Bonkers on the Disney afternoon. This thread sorta makes me wish I could send the shows back into the past so i could grow up with them as a kid...