Poll: Best Final Fantasy Game?

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
i liked final fantasy 13-2, which will get my apartment burned down by molotov cocktails. seriously, i liked the smaller character list, made their interactions more entertaining to watch. believe it or not [once again molotov bait] i thought 7 was the worst.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
likalaruku said:
Man, I wish there was a legal PC port for the first 6. Maybe I should just buy one of those consoles that plays both NES, SNES, & Genesis & go on a game shopping spree to relive old times.

For me, FF went downhill with 8 & just gets worse & worse & worse. Gorgeous graphics do not a fun game make. FFX had some godawful voice acting & I don;t even know what they were thinking with FFx2.

But hey, the franchise did give us this gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YHqjGlAQQw (refused to embed)
If you really like the classics, 9 is a nice callback.

Neways, 6 is my pick.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
IX is in my personal Top 3 best games ever made in the history of the universe. Extraordinary story, great dialogue (a first in the FF series), cool combat. It has it all.

As far as the series goes, not counting XI and XIV, which I haven't played:
IX > VI > X > XII > V > IV > VII > I > VIII > III > XIII > II.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
IX > VIII > I > IV > V > III > II > VII > VI > X > poop > rotting poop > Any FF after X including X-2

Charli

Nov 23, 2008

The second I heard it I knew.

I could just float away listening to this track. I'd spend hours on the overworld just... relaxing to this.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Final Fantasy Tactics, the only one that has a story that is geared towards a more mature and intelligent audience.

RaziTheRed

Jun 15, 2010
Give me VI, V, IV, IX, VII, II, III, and I in that order.

I didn't really care for any of the unlisted.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Tactics, then FF7

never played 4
got halfway through 5 and other than the clash on the big bridge was unimpressed
FF6 was great until the halfway point at which point it took a massive nosedive.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
Diesel- said:
They all suck.

Boring Garbage Anime style pink JRPG games.
That may be a hasty generalization. Final Fantasy 12 (the only one I really like) was more like a Shakespearean drama than an anime. The art style was different than any anime I've seen (granted, I've seen few).

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
My vote goes to Final Fantasy 12. FF12 just had all the right things going for it at the time. The characters were interesting and the dialogue was unique...hell, even Vaan wasn't as bad a character as some claim he was (though he DOES pale in comparison to the rest).

The story was one of the best I've played in a videogame, with thought-provoking themes and character-driven drama. The gameplay was revolutionary for the series at the time, and the game's art style is still one of my favorites (pink pants and emo-hair aside).

I'd be eager to see them expand on this game with a future installment. Lots of potential.

Yegargeburble

Nov 11, 2008
I'm a huge fan of just about everything in FFT, so that's my choice.

Other than that, IV is my favorite normal Final Fantasy game.

greatman32

Dec 6, 2009
Um kind of lame to just have all the older titles. For me it has to be FF-9 I have not liked any other entry into the series tho the music from all the games is really good.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Diesel- said:
They all suck.

Boring Garbage Anime style pink JRPG games.
I have to agree.

Though I have not tried any FF games before VII.

Khayl

May 23, 2012
VIII, there really is no contest.

i kind of get where the haters and fanboys are coming from now, but for me personally, this game was about as close to perfection as a game can get.

the graphics (for its time), the story, the characters, the music, the pacing, all scored perfect 10's. this maybe because it was my first (you never forget your first :) real rpg, and it really left an impression on me.

shit, just THINKING about the Battle of the Gardens FMV gives me goosebumps.

VII certainly was amazing, and ive never finished it. playing it as i am typing.

IX i only played till the end of the first disc. i kind of ignored it for years, and i will probably replay it soon. its jarring, especially if you've just come frome VII or VIII, but it really grows on you. certainly worthy of the praise it has received in this thread

X as well, fuck what a soundtrack. i learnt To Zanarkand on guitar!

also, honorable mention to Tactics, and i guess Kingdom Hearts?

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Hate to be a cliché but I'm voting for Final Fantasy IX aswell.
Granted it's the only FF game I've actually played but I absolutely adored it and quickly had to make room on my Top 10 list of games so I could fit it in. All my reasons have already been stated; great characters and story, superb soundtrack, fantastic artwork, beautiful ending, fun explorative overworld and I say all these are true.

Plan to move onto a few other of the PSX classics at some point, probably either 6 (although I'll constantly have the feeling that I should be playing it on a DS) or 7 (although my brief time with Dissidia has given me a nice bit of hatred for Cloud)

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
For me personally:

FF7 Had not played anything like it, was amazing at the time.

FF8 Mercenry group with gunblades? fuck yes.

FF10 If only for Auron honestly love him as a character x)

FF9 Didn't enjoy it as much as the others but a decent game all the same.

FF6 i like it alot but was dated by the time i played it

FF10-2 i actually enjoy the dress system in this, it's quite a fun combat system if i'm honest x)

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
Final Fantasy X is my favourite. The cutscenes were really breathtaking, and I was genuinely interested in the story. I loved it from start to finish.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the soundtrack was AMAZING!

Nerexor

Mar 23, 2009
I've always felt that 6 was the pinnacle of the series. It had an excellent magic system, memorable (though admittedly a bit cliche) characters, awesome music (with the exception of Zozo, that music got so damn annoying after a while) and the villain... oh Kefka, the day we get a more ridiculous and crazy awesome villain in that series, I will be utterly shocked. You get a feel for this guy right at the start of the game when you see him walking through the desert and then screaming "There's SAND on my BOOTS!" and his fellow soldiers immediately freak out and polish them.

I also really liked how there was a legitimate struggle for the heroes to win. At the end of the day, Kefka has his way with the world for the second half of the game until you finally show up to wreck his little tower.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
FFXIII

Yes, I actually loved the thirteenth one, infact it's the only one of the series I ever cared for.

Yet to play 13-2 but for some reason the story and characters just sucked me into the world, one of the few stories where the characters genuinely mattered to me. Apart from Hope, he can burn in hell.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I'm gonna give it to 9, it had the best characters, the main protagonist is my favorite Final fantasy character, not only that but the games light hearted tone made the grimmer moments of the game have more impact, in fact I think this game had more terrible events happen in it then any other Final Fantasy game yet it's still considered the most light hearted.

After that it's 12 well the story falls apart during the mid chunk of the game it had a solid combat system, and being able to see animal run around and not attack you made the world feel much more alive, one of the few RPGs where grinding didn't feel like a choir.

then probably 7,10,6,10-2,13