Poll: Best Final Fantasy Game.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
Top three? Top three.

1) Final Fantasy Tactics
2) Final Fantasy Tactics A2
3) Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Because screw your boring standard JRPGs, SRPGs are the only ones I can stand to even sink any hours into, therefore they all win by default as far as I'm concerned.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Maxtro said:
If they started with the SNES they will claim VI.
If they started with the PSX they will claim VII
If they started with the PS2 they will claim X.
If they started with the PS3 they will claim XII (the poor souls)
well, yeah ... that's cause 6 is best :D

Actually I tend to favor the SNES FF games above the rest of the franchise

though my favorite Square game isn't an FF game. hell my top 2 square games aren't FF games.
Parasite Eve 1
Enihander

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Rangerboy87 said:
Maxtro said:
The way these threads go, it always breaks down into what gen the person played their first FF game.

If they started with the SNES they will claim VI.
If they started with the PSX they will claim VII
If they started with the PS2 they will claim X.
If they started with the PS3 they will claim XII (the poor souls)
I agree with you there. It usually is the first Final Fantasy someone plays. Mine was FFX which makes it my favorite (hate X-2 though). Played VI (pretty good) and VII (meh). XII is a load of ass dragged across the pavement. And I've started FFI several times but never could stay at it long.

It's all about the flow for me. If I have to stop and level up for a while before I can continue on with the story, it breaks the game (doing side stuff because I choose too is another story). That's what killed my chance of finishing XII. By the time I had to XP grind for the 7th or 8th time, I honestly forgot the majority of the story and where I was going and why (says something about the awful story too). As much as some scenes were painful to watch:

I still play FFX for the story and smooth gameplay. It will always be my favorite one.

Jfswift said:
Thanks for putting this up! Love that song!

I love Nobuo Uematsu's music, he is such a talented composer =^.^=. I agree too about FF12. That was the same reason I stopped playing it. I thought the game was decently interesting honestly but the excessive grinding just wore me out.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
I really didn't enjoy VI. Perhaps someone could tell me what was supposed to blow me away. I was playing games like Suikoden I&II when I was handed the PSX rerelease of VI, and the latter didn't stand up to the former in my estimation.

I'll list my top 3 FFs.

FFIX
FFVII
FFVIII

After that is the era of cheap American anime VAs, and that way I'm afraid madness and a decline in quality lies.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Final Fantasy VI. IX and IV for runners up. Honorable mention to 5 & 3 (I think it was 3, I get that and 2 mixed up alot) for gameplay.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
VIII is mine, because I particularly enjoyed the SeeD aspect of it. That and I liked the close-to-reality-but-not-quite aesthetics of it.

Wish it had a better villain though, Seifer was too easy to be considered a challenge and Ultimecia was kompletely boring.

Drake666

Sep 13, 2010
devotedsniper said:
Drake666 said:
What do you like about 8 ? (really curious, it's rare to see someone who likes it)

I mean, the idea of being a from a school of mercenary is pretty good... but the setting and weaponry are weird. I like the time compression thing at the end, but the rest is so out there. There's missiles and explosive... so why not use them against the sorceress ? Why does Seiffer turns evil :S (I mean, he was a douche, but come on!) ? The GF causes amnesia is also pretty lame. The weapon creation system is bad and the magic drawing is a time killer (or an obligation to play cards OR to transform creature into cards OR to transform items into magic which is weird... why not sell magic while you're there ?).

But, still, I love the fact that they show us playable flashback (I know they're supposed to be "time travel experiment" by Elise, but I prefer to call them flash back ;)), I love the GFs (their design and their powers) and I find the sorceress character interesting. However, those little good points are not enough to make a good game (I think). Did I miss something ?
Can't really explain it to be honest, I've always loved it, it was the one which introduced me to the series. Guess you could say it's nostalgia but i still replay 8, 9 and 10 every now and then, sometimes i will attempt 7 but I've never truly got into that one (unlike just about everyone else). I would have voted for XI if it was on the poll as i spent a good few years on that game.
Aww, yes, nostalgia :) And, you seem to prefer the FF with more graphical polish :). And, I forgot that FF8 got a good soundtrack and an ok character design (except that Squall is really bitchy... :p )

It's all right about FF7, I also think that is bloody awful (graphically speaking...). Furthermore, I don't think FF7 is overated, but their's a weird part in the story (just after Midgard) where there's no reason for half the cast to go after Sephiroth... I mean, the moment Meteor is introduced, it's normal that self-appointed heroes would want to stop him... but before that, except everybody, except Cloud and Tifa, should be thankful to him. He killed the Shinra boss! That was Barret and crew's plan! :p Anyway :)

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
GZGoten said:
my personal favorite is VII, followed by VI, then IV, and finally... I know I'll be hated for this but... XIII and XIII-2

the rest of the series changes based on the day II has always remained at the bottom and VIII right after it, I just never really understood what's so great about those 2 games; then again I was never to fond of emo
What the...? someone with an extremely similar opinion to me on the ranking of FF games that dosent happen often.

Yeah anyway I agree (almost) I would add in X to tie with VI as second best and I would put XII in VIII`s place as second worst and as for people thinking that the series has gone downhill with XIII being the worst they clearly havent played FFII I really struggled to get through that game its just bad in so many ways. While FF I and III were just meh for me.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
Check yourself, mate.

I don't come to these forums to be hassled for my opinions. I happen to like Final Fantasy 12...in fact, I consider it to be one of the franchises best stories. Your comments make me feel unwelcome.

To contribute, I'd pick Final Fantasy Tactics from the list you gave us.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Hard to say. I grew up with FFVII-IX, played the first disc for each game at least ten times. They alone helped me a lot when it came to learning English. However, I never finished any of them, the issue being me having to start over everytime I took a longer break from the games. Gotten to the third disc of each, but only once or twice tops. Never completed any of them due to the lack of commitment. Really gotta replay them some day through adult eyes to relive the memories, though being a graphics whore it's hard.
So while being very nostalgic for me I can't vouch for how good they actually are. Apart from the beginning of each game I only remember fragments of the rest.

Final Fantasy X was my first PS2 game. The graphics really blew me away and that almost everything was voiced really made me awestruck. I also consider it to be the best combat system in the series. Loved that it gave you an opportunity to think ahead and plan the fights better, rather than being timed like in the previous games(or automatic in the latter...).
Tidus really fucking sucks though.

I own FFIV, V and VI as well, but I reckon I was a bit too young for the games when I played them. Either got stuck on a boss or didn't know what to do, so I don't think I got very far on either of them.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
DanielBrown said:
Hard to say. I grew up with FFVII-IX, played the first disc for each game at least ten times. They alone helped me a lot when it came to learning English. However, I never finished any of them, the issue being me having to start over everytime I took a longer break from the games. Gotten to the third disc of each, but only once or twice tops. Never completed any of them due to the lack of commitment. Really gotta replay them some day through adult eyes to relive the memories, though being a graphics whore it's hard.
You really need to play Final Fantasy IX all the way through. The final dungeon, Memoria, is honest-to-god the best bit of level design I've ever seen. The whole thing is just incredibly beautiful, rich in symbolism, and accompanied by the most haunting tune. You're missing out easily the best part of the game by not making it to Memoria.

It's really heart breaking to see the beauty and originality in Memoria.. and then see what the series has become.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
TheRookie8 said:
Check yourself, mate.

I don't come to these forums to be hassled for my opinions. I happen to like Final Fantasy 12...in fact, I consider it to be one of the franchises best stories. Your comments make me feel unwelcome.
Hi, you must be new here. Welcome, and I strongly suggest learning not to take things personally.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Having never played 6 or under

12 is the best
I still love 10 and 9 (And 8 and 7 to a lesser extent)

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
I have four favorites and they are IV, VII, IX, and X. I don't think I could force myself to choose just one. I do think that your automatic dismissal of the first three games in the series is lame though.

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
I'm playing 6 right now and it having double the votes that 7 has baffles me. For one, there's a talking Octopus who has dialogue so bad it wouldn't be allowed into the script for a Ninja Turtles cartoon. And second, the random battles are absurdly smothering. There are two poorly written words for every 90 random battles in this game. How is having to fight the same monsters over and over and over and over again good gameplay? I have to do nothing but press the same button. It's so tedious. Good RPGs break up the story/battles. This one is like a 90/10 ratio at best.

Also, I just did another one of those "split the party up" screens. I didn't have any ability to change the party members. Why give me the damn screen at all? What is the polish people are imagining for this game?

Those of you who love this game, have you played it since 1996? It has aged so much worse than any other classic RPG on the SNES.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
The_Scrivener said:
I'm playing 6 right now and it having double the votes that 7 has baffles me. For one, there's a talking Octopus who has dialogue so bad it wouldn't be allowed into the script for a Ninja Turtles cartoon. And second, the random battles are absurdly smothering. There are two poorly written words for every 90 random battles in this game. How is having to fight the same monsters over and over and over and over again good gameplay? I have to do nothing but press the same button. It's so tedious. Good RPGs break up the story/battles. This one is like a 90/10 ratio at best.

Also, I just did another one of those "split the party up" screens. I didn't have any ability to change the party members. Why give me the damn screen at all? What is the polish people are imagining for this game?

Those of you who love this game, have you played it since 1996? It has aged so much worse than any other classic RPG on the SNES.
The octopus is supposed to have terrible dialogue. He's the stereotypical Japanese comic relief villain... The Turks in FF7 were hardly better. (and were certainly less memorable, I mean, it's an octopus)
Also, I don't think that was the "change party members" screen. I think you're referring to the "choose which branch of the story to play through next" screen.
There'll be a change party members screen that you can change when the time comes.

Also, when you say it has aged, in what sense? Graphically, the 2D sprites have aged a heck of a lot better than the blocky old 3D used in FF7.