Poll: Best FPS ever?

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
I'm playing the original Half-Life, in its entirety, for the first time--I've gotten about halfway through it several times, then quit--and while it's a great game, it's my best friend's favourite game, which seems to me to be a stretch. I mean, it's excellent, sure--great graphics, excellent AI, varied gameplay, the eschewal of static levels--but what gets me about it is that, at its core, it's still a basic, iterative shooter in the vein of Duke Nukem 3D or Quake--that is, you control a silent protagonist whose goal is to survive while completing puzzles that function as simply more elaborate versions of the keycard puzzles Doom pioneered, and games like Duke and Shadow Warrior expanded on. By contrast, my two favourite FPS titles--GoldenEye and Deus Ex--both made significant use of mission objectives rather than simply the goalposts of self-preservation, with the latter incorporating non-linearity and RPG elements.

But this got me thinking: what is your favourite FPS, and why? It seems to me that there are a lot of different first-person subgenres--RPG/FPS titles like Borderlands and Deus Ex; massively-multiplayer online games like Tribes and Battlefield 1942; twitch shooters like Unreal Tournament 3; iterative, single-player oriented titles like Half-Life 2 and BioShock--and, consequently, that people play them for a lot of different reasons.

P.S. If I had the space I would've included Halo: CE, System Shock 2, Counter-Strike, Modern Warfare, Metroid Prime, etc.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Modern Warfare 2 (2009).

I could see why that's not on the list. Public perception and all.

Not that I care - IW can do set pieces like no one else and in MW2, they went all-in. I loved it. Easy as that.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Funny how Halo:CE isn't there.

I voted Doom, but that's just my opinion. I really liked Doom.

Vonnis

Feb 18, 2011
Quake. The first one.
That said, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are very close seconds. They might all be tied for first place if my nostalgia goggles weren't biased towards Quake.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
I say that Oblivion is! Isn't it obvious? You can SHOOT arrows at enemies in First Person! Or maybe Morrowind, or Maybe its....damn, im out of games i remember....

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Half-Life 2, since I don't count Deus Ex as an FPS.

Crysis would get a vote near the top as well - heavily underrated for the most part.

PlasmaFrog said:
The term "Best Ever" is used too often and will lose its credibility due to it being a subjective topic. There isn't an absolute best. You should use a phrase such as "In your opinion" or "Your Favorite" due to the individuality of the subject and opinion.
Or he could just assume that we're all inteligent enough to work that out for ourselves, and that of course this isn't an objective topic.

Which we are, and which he did.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
Totally going with Opposing Force Source, the soon to be released mod. I loved Opposing Force even if it didn't bring any new or revolutionary things to the FPS world. I mean the whole first tier of Half Life games were absolutely scrumptious. Half Life 2 however is in its own group.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
I'll go for Deus Ex. I think it's a better game than the other entries on the list, even if it is more of an FPS/RPG hybrid.

Comparing multiplayer games to singleplayer games is kind of hard, though. They offer very different types of fun.

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
I think it was close to 150 FPS...

oh wait, you mean that one. I guess its pretty subjective, so in my opinion its probably doom...

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
TriggerHappyAngel said:
Timesplitters: Future Perfect, which is also the best multiplayer shooter imo.
HELL YEAH!

Awesome game!
Why no PC version?
Very shameful.

PlasmaFrog

Feb 2, 2009
The topic lost all credibility when the term "Best Ever" was used. You really should refrain from using an absolute term for such a subjective topic.

Besides that, I'd have to place my money on Perfect Dark.