Poll: Best New Doctor

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
willofbob said:
9 is a sociopathic war veteran, bent on the destruction of the Daleks.
I think that's a VERY harsh interpretation. Nine wasn't sociopathic, and his reactions to the Daleks seemed less a "I must exterminate every last one of you" than one of shock. After all, his own people died in that Time War, but the Daleks always survive (as Ten would later say). His reaction in "Bad Wolf" was even one of fear and defeat, initially, and he continued that sentiment even if he hid it.

Was he hateful towards the Dalek in "Dalek?" Yes. That's not the same as eing a genocidal maniac, though.

Dark? Yes. Angst? Not really any more than Ten. But these were not is sole defining traits, and a sociopath, he weren't. Battle-hardened, maybe even shell shocked.

Also, you left out Ten's use of "brilliant" as a catchphrase, which goes msot of the way back into his tenure.

But seriously, there's more Angst in The Family of Blood episodes than there is in Nine's whole run.

Who do I like more? Don't know. I like all three. I think if Ecclestone had had more time he'd be brilliant, and I think Eleven is probably better than 10, but scripts in the last season have been kind of making it hard for me to definitively say him.

So I don't know.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I think Smith. He fits my idea of what I want the Doctor to be, although he might not actually be as a good an actor as David Tennant. He just seems a bit more alien, and I think the 10th Doctor was played a bit too saintly.

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
The one that actually gave alot of depth to what a time lord is was deffinetly Eccleston.Sure beeing only on 1 season made him forgetable.While I like them all both Tennant and Matt Smith need to tell jokes to be funny while Eccleston was hilarious just by smiling when things were going bad. Also I found his "relation" with Jack Harkness was so autenthic,would have loved to see him in that second season,not that Tennant did a bad job with "Allonsy Alonso".

Bottom line i think while Tennant and Smith are a bit under is that they feel too human,while Eccleston felt as an alien. For those that saw Children of the Earth even Jack Harkness does a better job.

Shakomaru

May 18, 2011
The tenth was more about "let's visit cool planets!" and then something happens that he has to fix. Matt Smith is more about "earth is awesome, I want to have a lot of friends that I have to save from everything!" I like both of them, but that's my opinion

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Tennant is a great actor, charming and adorable. But I do need to educate myself more in the ways of Who before I make any serious judgements...

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
10 was good, but i still prefer 9.

And 11, oh i could write small essays on what went wrong there...

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Eccelston all the way, GF begs to differ but I'm the one posting... Mwahaha. He seems more like a guy that's been through too much, sorta like Tennant towards the end of his run. Smith is too bouncy and cheery, kind of got the three in the wrong order but that's how a show like that can happen.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
11th, I really hated the tenth- too much angsting and Tennant couldnt portray the alienness of the Doctor or be convincingly threatening. It also didnt help that he had to put up with how crap RTD was.

9th was also good but went far too far into the darkside, whilst I get what state the Doctor was in a big part of his character is the child like enthusiasm and whimsy.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Rinky78 said:
Eccleston for the win! I have no problem with Tennant either, but I just like Chris more. He's one of my favourite actors in general, so versatile.
Did you see The Shadow Line, a recent BBC drama?

Eccleston was brilliant in that.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
The only episodes I've seen with Smith involved a really weird Angels episode and one with Power Ranger Daleks who have their plan foiled through the power of love... so I'm going to pick Tennant

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
10th Tennant of course. I liked 9, but he didn't get a good enough run to let me know how he would turn out. 11th has some of the crazy streak that 10 sometimes had, but it is the majority of his shtick. The 10th is perfect because he played the whole gambit of emotions and played them very very well. I genuinely felt happy when he was happy, sad when sad, angry when angry, and crazy when crazy. He was so good it transferred to me.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Furioso said:
The only episodes I've seen with Smith involved a really weird Angels episode and one with Power Ranger Daleks who have their plan foiled through the power of love... so I'm going to pick Tennant
Love yes, but they were truly foiled by The Doctor holding a cookie, and that was just priceless. Nah, it's just a cookie, nom nom nom.

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
number 9's accent it actually manchester, he was also very gruff and serious for the doctor

number ten had so much fun being the doctor

Rinky78

May 3, 2010
Jamash said:
Rinky78 said:
Eccleston for the win! I have no problem with Tennant either, but I just like Chris more. He's one of my favourite actors in general, so versatile.
Did you see The Shadow Line, a recent BBC drama?

Eccleston was brilliant in that.
Oo, thanks for the hint! I live in Finland but luckily they show a lot of BBC programmes here - it just takes a while :).

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Tennant was fantastic before he started getting overly emotional about the his death. Eccleston and Smith's Doctor didn't brood too much when they knew they were dying!

Smith is catching up fast as my favourite Doctor, give him a couple more series and he might just overtake Tennant!

warprincenataku

Jan 28, 2010
Ah, one of my most favorite topics.

Now it would be easily to say Tenant's portrayal of The Doctor is my favorite, that is mostly because I liked the story surrounding him. While Tenant was good, I think Smith's portrayal, the 11th, is one of my most favorite. He's the right amount of cooky mixed with equal parts caring and intellect. I have to admit when he took over I chided him for being a Tenant impersonator, but after a few episodes he started to feel out the roll and really got into who The Doctor really is.

As far as Eccleston's version of The Doctor is concerned. It was nice to start the series off with him, it's because of him I started watching the show, but he didn't seem like 'The Doctor' to me. He was more of a badass with a sonic screwdriver.

jopomeister

Apr 7, 2010
Haven't even had to think.
9 is a bit too moody, for my taste.
10 is getting there, and till now had been my favourite.
But then, oh, then. Matt Smith is brilliant, and the script writer(s) are AMAZING. He has a lot of silly non-linear storylines, which I love, and a lot of funny lines. He's an amazing actor, and I've found myself laughing and/or crying at a lot of the episodes he's been in. He's unbeatable, in my opinion.