Poll: Best Pasta Shape

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Late at night, you begin to ponder the important questions. Last night, it was this: which is the greatest shape for pasta?

And so, I put it to you. Have a look through these [https://www.cookipedia.co.uk/recipes_wiki/File:pasta_2006_2.jpg] two [https://www.cookipedia.co.uk/recipes_wiki/File:pasta_2006_3.jpg] lists and cast your vote.

NOTE: Not included are the parcel-type pasta forms, like Ravioli or Tortellini. This is just about the type of pasta you mix with sauce (or dump the sauce on), rather than the type you stuff with other ingredients.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
It's a tough call. All pasta has something it's best at, so it's almost not fair.

So I'm just going to go with what is the most versatile pasta, which is...

The Spiral (Fusilli)

Equally at home in a red sauce, a white sauce, or a cheese sauce. Holds onto the flavor around it without getting bogged down in it. Easy to fork or spoon (If you're a mad man). There's very little you can't do with this pasta.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I'd say spaghetti, for mere ease of eating. Jam a fork in it and turn.

In the majority of the other pasta listed, I just find it hard get it on a fork without it falling off.

And, I'm not sure why lasagna was included, because I've never seen them eaten on their own as a pasta. They're just pasta that's in a casserole.

Sic Transit Gloria

Mar 29, 2016
These pasta were designed for different applications, which is why there are so many and so many subtle variations. I wouldn't want pappardelle aglio e olio, or angel hair with a short rib ragout, would you? I like big, robust noodles for big, thick sauces. Thinner, more delicate noodles that hold less sauce are usually better for more oily, spicy sauces. Something like Bucatini alla Amatriciana is a perfect pairing that isn't improved by using farfalle, or fettuccine.

Sic Transit Gloria

Mar 29, 2016
Baffle said:
madwarper said:
I'd say spaghetti, for mere ease of eating.
You haven't got a beard have you?

OT: Spirals. Anything that looks like a tube could have insects hiding in it, whereas anything shell-shaped is likely to have attracted a hermit crab.
This is why I only eat pasta shaped like high-end designer clothing shops; I find little hotties hiding in the nooks and crannies!

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Baffle said:
You haven't got a beard have you?
I don't know if one would call it a beard... But, depending on the day, more along the lines of varying degrees of stubble.

But, I'm only factoring ease of food to fork to mouth, not necessarily the cleanliness of the facial area afterwords.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
madwarper said:
And, I'm not sure why lasagna was included, because I've never seen them eaten on their own as a pasta. They're just pasta that's in a casserole.
Included where? Lasagne isn't in my poll for just that reason.

Baffle said:
OT: Spirals. Anything that looks like a tube could have insects hiding in it, whereas anything shell-shaped is likely to have attracted a hermit crab.
I think you may need to give your cupboards a clean-out, Baffle.

OT: Voted Conchiglie (seashells) myself, because each pasta piece then turns into a delicious tiny bowl of sauce.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Silvanus said:
I could have sworn it was one of the poll options... But, I didn't write my response until after I voted, so (afaik) there wasn't any way to double check what the other poll options were that hadn't been voted for.

Sic Transit Gloria

Mar 29, 2016
Silvanus said:
madwarper said:

Baffle said:
I think you may need to give your cupboards a clean-out, Baffle.

OT: Voted Conchiglie (seashells) myself, because each pasta piece then turns into a delicious tiny bowl of sauce.
It's the greatest vehicle for a light cheese sauce that has been made.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Bow-ties,
Sure they don't have much versatility, but they're so pretty and sophisticated.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
It depends on the sauce (or whatever you're eating it with), but in general I'd say fusilli.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Silvanus said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
You're not supposed to wear them, Eclipse.
Wait, you're not? Is that a regional thing or...

...umm, so, I'm asking for a friend here - if somebody has been wearing them to work. And, as I said, in theory, that's been happening for quite some time. How, umm, likely is it that other people have noticed. I am, erm, doing a research for a book.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I have gone to a specific restaurant for 10 years, and every time I eat there, I order one thing: Farfalle Genovese.

Farfalle Master Race.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Oh no...
Oh no!

My two loves finally meet in a match.
Both Conchiglie and Farfalle.
I like both so much, they both go well with cream-based dishes, and they mix well with cheese.

Unfortunately, I have to go with Conchiglie. It goes well with the simplest dishes, and I can still remember the time I had it melted with three (or four) kinds of cheese. It was one enjoyable dish, and I haven't had it for so long, it makes me partially sad.