Poll: Big Issues with Abstinence-Only Sex Ed

Nov 18, 2010
As most everyone around the world knows already, the US has quite a bit of a schizophrenic attitude towards anything sexual. Videos, images, songs, etc. portraying the subject are everywhere, yet it's a taboo to discuss, especially in a great number of schools' curriculum. This last point is enforced by the fact that the government grants funding to school districts that promise to teach abstinence-only sex "education" instead of a comprehensive, fact-based style.

Very recently (and thankfully) I heard that the school district I live in and went to from 2nd-12th grade broke from the norm, and decided to implement the comprehensive education system back into it's schools for the first time in over 30 years, despite losing out on a significant amount of funding. For this, I happily applaud them, especially for the timing of the matter, since my little sister is currently in this district and has recently hit puberty. This has currently got me thinking back to how awful, fundamentally flawed, and religiously biased (don't get me wrong, I have no issue with people practicing their religious beliefs, I just think it should stay out of public schools and government legislation) that system was when I went through it.

1) The first of two times the topic is "professionally" introduced to students is when they reached 10th grade, a full 5-6 years after kids had already hit puberty. Given by what I personally experienced and saw, not many kids in the district were getting any kind of information on the issue from their family at all. This is definitely not a smart idea, given the raging hormones of a typical adolescent and misinformation of "locker-room talk". The recently implemented system, however, starts in the 4th grade and continues with the classes every other year up to 12th grade, consistently reminding kids over a much longer time.

2) That system promotes ignorance and misinformation. Sure, they'll tell you about STIs and unwanted pregnancies, but that's about it on actually supplying proper information. When stating about what to do when confronted with the opportunity of sex, you will be told to "Just say no" and leave it like that. It's a good thing that teenagers always fall in line and do as they're told and don't act out in rebellion, or do other stupid shit [/sarcasm]. The instructors aren't even allowed to speak about any form of contraception unless it is brought up by students, in which case they will greatly exaggerate their failure rates, claiming that no one should rely on them because of these false statistics (note that in my 12th grade health class, this topic was brought up by a girl who was already pregnant, with another in the room already being a parent, so this is the type of information that they should've received the truth many years back). The tragically ironic thing about them discussing failure rates is that (without exception) they aren't allowed to state that the abstinence pledge that comes with this form of education statistically fails 88% of the time. No question that it's absolutely true that abstinence has a 100% success rate at avoiding diseases/pregnancies when applied properly, but its true success rate is only 12% coupled with the fact such failed pledgers probably wont be using any safe sex practices. To counter this, the new system will still talk about how abstinence is the only true way to be perfectly safe, but will still give out the scientifically proven information on just about all aspects of sexuality and contraceptives.

3) Advocating abstinence until marriage only really worked that well when people were married off in their teens. This obviously isn't much of a factor in the vast majority of the world now, so enforcing this outdated custom when most people (who do marry) now usually wait until their late 20s or early 30s is just insane. If you personally choose to abstain from your own opinions and reasoning, that's fine, more power to you. It just seems to be a really conflicting message supporters spout that sex is inherently evil, but yet suddenly it's not as soon as you get married; pick one or the other, it can't change in morality that suddenly. Plus, debatable as sexual compatibility's importance is in any relationship, wouldn't you at lest want to end up with someone who is at least moderately compatible in that regard instead of finding out that he/she shares absolutely none of the same interests in the bedroom.

4) Much of western Europe handles this topic infinitely better than the US, and yet very few Americans seem to take the hint. America, when compared to countries such as the UK, France, Germany, Netherlands, and Spain, has significantly higher percentages of teenage pregnancies and STIs, much lower use, and in parts of the country, availability of contraceptives (when I went out to try and get my first pack of condoms I had to go all the way across town to find a pharmacy that didn't deny teenagers from purchasing contraceptives), followed by a lot more social stigma and near impossibility of proper communication within families about sexual topics. And despite that most adolescents in western Europe receive comprehensive sex-ed counter to America's majority abstinence-only, both parts of the world are sexually active at about the same time and rate, debunking abstinence-only supporters' claim that extensive teaching about sex promotes increased promiscuity.

TLDR: Teaching abstinence-only has major flaws in my opinion, but why or why not do you primarily support it. Also, what form of sex-ed does your school district, private school, or home schooling currently teach?

CAPTCHA: heated debate. So true...

EDIT: to clarify the poll, the ones that end in "don" were meant to say "don't support", but were cut off for some reason.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Why does religion always come up in these? You want to talk about misinformation, you shouldn't spread it!

The honest reason abstinence-only sex ed has survived as long as it has is to reduce the number of children that end up in the adoption system due to teen pregnancies. It's all about the $$$, why else do you think they would provide *funding* for a specific school related activity, when public school funding is done by the head in attendance per day for everything else?

If it were based on any religious stance they could simply inform the school that they were not allowed to teach anything else, like they do with everything else you learn in high school.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
My school did guys learning all about penises in 5th grade and then every other part of everything in 6th grade (female anatomy, the biology of sex, the miracle of birth, STDs, etc). The girls learn it vaginas first. Anyway, they were very open about condoms and birth control and all that non-abstinence stuff, which in retrospect is surprising because my school and the people who send their children to it are very conservative. Also in retrospect, I don't know how we covered penises for a whole three weeks of classes. There's really not that much to talk about, especially on a 5th grade level.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
We were taught about STDs, condoms and birth control in high school. The emphasis was mostly on having safe sex if you are going to do it, but they did encourage us to wait because it's easy to make mistakes when you're young and regret having sex.

We learnt anatomy quite early, in the fifth grade I think. One girl asked if it was possible to accidentally shit out your baby if you're pregnant (she thought babies came out of the anus and had no idea about labour and how long and painful giving birth actually is). The teacher said yes because she thought the question was whether you can accidentally shit while giving birth, which is actually quite common. After that fucking disgusting conversation I think we ended up with a rather misinformed eight year old. I guess the teacher just didn't expect such a stupid question so she interpreted it the best way she could. /tangent.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
I started Sex Ed (basically just puberty teaching) at the age of 10/11, in my last term just before I went to secondary school. I remember one of my good friends at the time fainting off a stool after learning about periods for the first time.
Sex Ed classes proper started around the age of 13/14, further into secondary school.

It was pretty comprehensive for me, though there was definite emphasis on how having sex can easily have unintended consequences. There were statistics examined on contraception effectiveness, and the double dutch theory explained (all with the help of some fantastically cheesy videos).
I'm not sure if this is indicative of the British system or my private education though.

All in all I am very pro comprehensive teaching, and I think anything else is a quite dangerous form of social conditioning that could lead to some very confused teenagers with babies.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
OP, your poll is difficult to understand. Does the option 'It's always been comprehensive and I support this' mean you support comprehensive or abstinence-only?

Somewhat relevant, I remember that in one African country where they began to promote abstinence over condom usage, HIV rates began to fall dramatically in comparison to before.
Googling, it looks like this was Uganda, and they kinda promoted condoms as well, but only as a last resort should Abstinence and Monogamy fail.

Nov 18, 2010
TheBobmus said:
OP, your poll is difficult to understand. Does the option 'It's always been comprehensive and I support this' mean you support comprehensive or abstinence-only?

Somewhat relevant, I remember that in one African country where they began to promote abstinence over condom usage, HIV rates began to fall dramatically in comparison to before.
Googling, it looks like this was Uganda, and they kinda promoted condoms as well, but only as a last resort should Abstinence and Monogamy fail.
I did probably make it a touch confusing by making them that long, so I apologize if it really is. I think I was trying to cram two separate questions into one. I meant for that option to mean that, as far as you know, the school system you took has been teaching comprehensive sex-ed for at least the past 30 or so years and that you support the school teaching sex-ed in that way. All the "don't support" ones are just meaning that you wish the school taught sex-ed the other way that it did/does currently.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Zaik said:
Why does religion always come up in these? You want to talk about misinformation, you shouldn't spread it!

The honest reason abstinence-only sex ed has survived as long as it has is to reduce the number of children that end up in the adoption system due to teen pregnancies. It's all about the $$$..
And yet comprehensive sex-ed reduces the numbers of teen pregnancies. No research has ever found a link between abstinence only education and abstinent behavior. Many studies have found a link between comprehensive sex-ed and a reduction in teen pregnancies. In fact abstinence only education is fairly new, contrary to what the OP stated (30 years? Really?), but it has been long enough for a trend to emerge. Kids are actually having more sex, and failing to use contraceptives at higher rates.

In my time in high school (in Texas mind you) sex-ed was comprehensive. Sure we had the scare factors, the pictures of STDs, etc. And yes every lesson could be summed up as "abstinence is the only way to be 100% sure," however we always had the added "since you are going to go out and screw around with each other anyway here is what you can do to be as safe as possible."

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
manaman said:
Zaik said:

The honest reason abstinence-only sex ed has survived as long as it has is to reduce the number of children that end up in the adoption system due to teen pregnancies. It's all about the $$$..
And yet comprehensive sex-ed reduces the numbers of teen pregnancies. No research has ever found a link between abstinence only education and abstinent behavior. Many studies have found a link between comprehensive sex-ed and a reduction in teen pregnancies. In fact abstinence only education is fairly new, contrary to what the OP stated (30 years? Really?), but it has been long enough for a trend to emerge. Kids are actually having more sex, and failing to use contraceptives at higher rates.

In my time in high school (in Texas mind you) sex-ed was comprehensive. Sure we had the scare factors, the pictures of STDs, etc. And yes every lesson could be summed up as "abstinence is the only way to be 100% sure," however we always had the added "since you are going to go out and screw around with each other anyway here is what you can do to be as safe as possible."
Heh, I never said it was in any way correct, i'd tend to agree with you and what will likely be the general e-public opinion truthfully. My issue was simply the assumption by the OP that religion was the cause. Apparently on the internet it's some sort of batman villain attempting to change the world to nothing but sunday morning 4:30 AM church sessions and no sex forever.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Zaik said:
manaman said:
Zaik said:

Heh, I never said it was in any way correct, i'd tend to agree with you and what will likely be the general e-public opinion truthfully. My issue was simply the assumption by the OP that religion was the cause. Apparently on the internet it's some sort of batman villain attempting to change the world to nothing but sunday morning 4:30 AM church sessions and no sex forever.
The view is mainly held by the far right, with few disputes on either side, mostly because right now it isn't a big issue worthy of attention. This far right has long been associated with the religious right in the US. It may not be strictly a religious view, but the roots are deep in the christian religious right's camp.

So there is your link to religion. Correct or not, it is easy to see where people can believe it's born of religious beliefs when that group is pushing the hardest for it.

Nov 18, 2010
Zaik said:
manaman said:
Zaik said:

I'm sorry if you assumed it that way, but I tried to keep religion out of my post as much as possible, only touching on it a bit because in the sex-ed I went through in high-school, the teacher kept throwing the words God, bible, immoral, etc. all over the place (in a public school for Pete's sake!). Personally, I don't think religion itself is the real issue, but stupid, narrow-minded people in government, as well as those voting them in, picking and choosing from the bible to put themselves in power because they think our political system should be a [one religion] theocracy instead of a [multi-religious] democracy. You can't really deny that the most outspoken and proactive people denouncing/raging over anything even remotely sexual (even non-sexualized nudity) will use religion in some way to attack their opposition. I may be an agnostic, but I know well enough that religion is truly supposed to be a way of finding enlightenment and spreading peace, but those types of people seem to go against those ideals.

bernardblack

Apr 24, 2012
My high school health class did the "abstinence is the only way to make sure pregnancy/STIs/etc. are 100% preventable, but you can use condoms and stuff for safe sex." I don't think they really told us what purpose condoms and birth control had, just that you could find them somewhere.

But where I live has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the state, so I think they really should work on a more comprehensive approach.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
I live in the uk and at least in the schools I went do there was no sex ed, oh they talked about puberty but nothing when it comes to sex, guess they just expect us to figure it out for ourself. Also this might be why we have the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in Europe form what I heard last.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
At my school(s) in the UK, we didn't have "abstinence-only" sex education. They just taught us normal sex education without brushing over any of the gruesome stuff. We watched graphic videos of ejaculation and childbirth. They taught us stuff about puberty, sex, condoms...the basics, really. I mean, why would they bother telling a group of horny teenagers "don't have sex, you might get STDs/pregnant", when they know that they're just going to do it anyway?

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Relish in Chaos said:
At my school(s) in the UK, we didn't have "abstinence-only" sex education. They just taught us normal sex education without brushing over any of the gruesome stuff. We watched graphic videos of ejaculation and childbirth. They taught us stuff about puberty, sex, condoms...the basics, really. I mean, why would they bother telling a group of horny teenagers "don't have sex, you might get STDs/pregnant", when they know that they're just going to do it anyway?
This. Guilt-tripping and scare-stories are powerless when put up against the teenage sex drive. If it's on the table, they're going to do it, because no matter how much they're told that it's wrong by their elders, every single hormone in their body is telling them otherwise, and the hormones shout a lot louder.

gundamrx101

Nov 19, 2010
Dammit I clicked the wrong option on that poll! DAMN YOU SLEEP DEPRIVED ME!!

OP: I was taught traditionally and learned all the basics about, and the dangers and they included the question about abstinence and treated it totally optional. Even though we were dumb horny teenagers the lessons and videos treated us like people who could make up their own minds.