Poll: Bioshock Infinite: The Cage or the Bird? [SPOILERS]

kevo5687

Jun 11, 2011
I chose the Cage because...

No seriously it was because of Elizabeth's reaction. "The Cage is somber, but there is really something special about it".

Rickin10

Mar 16, 2013
I chose the cage. My initial reaction was, of course, I choose the bird!' But after some thought, the cage seemed more appropriate. It represents her life and everything she is. It also serves as a constant motivation to escape Columbia when she can cast it aside to show she is truly free.

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
I am very disappointed to learn that there it makes little to no difference what you choose. I chose the bird on my playthrough, for all the reasons already suggested (Freedom, Something to Fight For etc.) I was going to rent again to see the alternate out comes but I guess I won't need to now.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
x EvilErmine x said:
Having played through the game twice now and making the opposite decisions, I can reveal that they are all cosmetic or effect the game in almost no real way.

Throw ball at couple/Throw ball at Fink

- Throwing the ball at the couple causes no change to the following scene.

- Throwing the ball at Fink also causes no change to the following scene. However later in Battleship bay, as you are on your way to the arcade the couple are standing by the Black/Irish bathrooms, they thank you for not being a dick and offer to help by giving you a box containing gear.

Since all gear drops are randomised then this only provided the chance to get one more piece of gear, you will not miss anything special if you throw the ball at them. But I'll think you are a massive **** for doing it though.

Bird/Cage broach choice:

Cosmetic, alters the twins dialog slightly

- Choosing the cage causes Robert to comment that he thought Booker would chose the bird,

- Choosing the bird causes Robert to comment about being right about guessing Bookers choice.

Draw gun/Demand service:

This choice causes a change to the animation and slightly alters the dialog in the skycar.

- If you chose the option to draw your gun then the guy quickly pulls the shutter down and you get attacked. In the skycar Elizabeth wipes blood from your face and Booker says "If there's one thing I have learnt then it's that if you don't draw first then you don't get to draw at all."

- Demanding Service causes the guy to stab you through the hand as you go to ring the bell, then you get attacked. In the sky car Elizabeth puts a bandage around your hand which is persistent for the remainder of the game and Booker says "I promise you this, that's the last time anyone will ever get the drop on me."

Spare/Kill Swain:

- Sparing Swain causes Elizabeth to make a comment about having mercy. Booker says it was no mercy as not Comstocks men would get him. Later in the Good Time club then you find Swain in a cell, it's obvious he has been badly tortured, Elizabeth says that you were right, sparing him was no kindness.

- Killing him cause Elizabeth to comment that she supposes that's what he wanted and it was better than what he would get if Comstock's men got to him. Later in the Good Time club the cell he would have been in is empty.

EDIT

I just remembered, there will be DLC coming latter, so maybe there is more to the choices you make. However as of now that's all the difference they make to the game.
Just adding, that I chose to spare Swain, but then when I saw him later in the game I shot him in the head. There was some dialogue then, but I forget what exactly it was.

mbarker

Nov 12, 2008
I chose cage because everyone seems to choose bird. I also picked it because she said there was something about it. It wasn`t till later in the game I realised the cage held a deeper significance than the bird did. I was also thinking you have to know your past to be able to choose your future, wisdom and lessons learned and such.

She also was holding it with her four fingered hand and the thimble on her pinky drew my attention.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Well the first thing I thought of was this

But yeah, I picked Bird because I wanted her to be free.

Then as the game progressed, I realised I was wrong.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
I chose the bird, because Elizabeth had been locked up her whole life and it didn't seem fair to choose the cage. Not that it makes any difference.

Terrara

Jul 1, 2011
toasteey13 said:
Just curious, when Booker chose to hit which button?
Every void damned elevator.

Booker, there is a non-metaphorical hole in your hand. Stahp.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
Well the first thing I thought of was this

But yeah, I picked Bird because I wanted her to be free.

Then as the game progressed, I realised I was wrong.
Those are the same images that are on the key which unlocks her tower on Monument Island.
Also a strikingly fitting metaphor for the theme of the game, where she both is and isn't in the cage at the same time.
Brilliant metaphor. :)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I think it's mostly just a test to see if people were paying attention and to spark questions just like this. Also quite probably something they intended to figure more into the storyline later but never developed, but left the choice in. It's also possible it will in some way influance DLC. Basically the instinct in such cases is to go with "Bird" because of what it normally symbolizes, when every clue, NPC hint, etc... points you in the counter-intuitive direction.

I'd also point out another side of this that a lot of people don't seem to bother to think through. Is freedom for Elizabeth REALLY a good idea? If she was to ever get free of what constrains her and managed to still retain control of her powers she could represent a threat to the fundemental fabric of reality, a thousand times greater than someone like Comstock ever conceived of being. I've oftentimes wondered if the symbolism with the cage fits into that possibility, and if some of the DLC might deal with the concept of what she might turn into (like Booker into Comstock) if ever given free reign to pretty much do whatever the hell she wanted with that power.

The thing is that by making Elizabeth a cute girl and likable, we're sympathetic, we view her as a person can can easily take the whole "everyone deserves a chance to be free" arguement. On the other hand if you were dealing with some Lovecraftian horror with the abillity to travel between and overlap worlds saying "hey, I'd like to be free, I'm really a nice guy despite all these tentecles and a tendency for people to go insane just looking at me" we'd doubtlessly go "no.. just no... you stay locked up". Another more contemporary example of where I'm going with this would be say the twist in "The Ring" where it turns out that Samara, the girl your lead to sympathize with as an "avenging spirit" was basically some equivilent to The Antichrist and she was trapped in a well and left to die for good reason.

One big question in fantasy has always been between the whole X-men school of thought with "It's wrong to persecute or try and control something just for being powerful", vs. the whole "nobody should have power like that" school of thought where good guys always have to give it up or inevitably wind up becoming evil when they are free to do with it what they want over a prolonged period of time. Not to mention the whole Lovecraftian thing where from a certain moral perspective leaving them imprisoned could be considered wrong because it is their world, and human existance as we know it WAS a mistake (lol) which is the whole cosmic horror of the entire thing.

That's going beyond my point here, which is basically that I suspect your intended to stop and think this one through, and especially if your someone with a civilized western perspective (US, UK, etc...) have to start contemplating a point that goes contrary to what your being taught.

mbarker

Nov 12, 2008
I kinda' hoped there would have been more cage vs. bird moments in the game to help biuld your in-game relationship with Elizabeth.

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
I thought the Bird one looked better on a visual basis.
What, being asymmetrical and all. Thus, I picked that one.
I also thought it would have no bearing on the plot progression.

Lo and behold, I was correct!

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I'd like to say:

<youtube=a1vjdEfxjX8>

BURD!

Yeah, same reasoning and general train of thought everyone's been mentioning. I'm just so very clever and original. Go me.

I couldn't take Slate seriously, however, as I kept hearing his voice actor with his horrible Fake Australian accent as male Dunmer in Skyrim.