Poll: Black and White Metagame/Competitive Talk

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
For the exclusive metagames, Black has Black City and White has White Forest. Black City has trainer battles and item shops, based on NPCs. White Forest has lots of wild Pokemon from past gens and a few items on the ground, again based on NPCs.

I've only played White, so if my information about Black City is off, correct me.

Battle Subway is the meat of the metagame, but still just seems to pale in comparison to the Frontier from Emerald and Platinum.

Oh, I caught a Modest Magic Guard Solosis and Adamant Mold Breaker Axew. So, any tips or ideas for EV training? I think a Quiet Solosis would be better, to take advantage of Trick Room further, but don't feel like going through the hell of getting a good nature and good ability simultaneously. I went through HELL trying for the Adamant Mold Breaker Axew. Since Rivalry is ass.

I'm going Speed/Attack for Axew, but would like to find a good grinding spot for those EVs, anyone got one?

Feel free to share/discuss your team, strategies, etc.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
I already beat Black and currerently starting White with Johto starters.

I can't really say much, But I found HeartGold\SoulSilver much more entertaining.

in this after you officially beat the League, Find the 5 Sages and beat Catherin (Sp? The chick from previous games that I'm guessing was a gym leader back then, Not sure of the name) After all that there isn't much left to do.

Compared to HG\SS where there was 16Badges and the Epic showdown with Red, This game just lacks for me.

I just wish I could re-battle N somewhere... Someplace on his Island I'm guessing.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
VincentX3 said:

I can't really say much, But I found HeartGold\SoulSilver much more entertaining.

in this after you beat the League, Find the 5 Sages and beat Catherin (Sp? The chick from previous games that I'm guessing was a gym leader back then, Not sure of the name) After all that there isn't much left to do.

Compared to HG\SS where there was 16Badges and the Epic showdown with Red, This game just lacks for me.

I just wish I could re-battle N somewhere... Someplace on his Island I'm guessing.
I found the late/meta-game for HG/SS horrid.

Victory Road was a terrible grinding spot for the Elite Four, as it was really low level. And Kanto felt...hollow. And most of Kanto was low-level.

Since I couldn't get Ice Beam via TM anymore, without playing the stupid Voltorb Flip game for hours and hours...Lance and his Dragons were a pain. And trainers NEVER wanted to rebattle. EVER.

I had to raise a Dewgong from a Seel, really slowly in Victory Road. Took me 5 fucking hours to get to 47 and learn Ice Beam.

It's meatier, certainly. But hardly better.

Kanto felt shallow and tacked on. Like it did in G/S/C, now that I think about it.

Piction Froject

Nov 11, 2010
OK before i say a damn thing about anything I am in no way shape or form a competitive battler but I am getting into it, OK there i said it.
Darmanitan-Zen Mode
Scrafty
Conkledurr
Galvantula
Rotom-All
Scizor
Reuniclus
Tyranitar
Umbreon
Emboar
Swampert
Infernape
Haxorus
hydreigon
Now this is a short list of the Pokemon I'm gonna train and want No i don't know the natures i want for them or the abilities but I have smogon and serebii for those parts. Please critique this list if you must.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Piction Froject said:
OK before i say a damn thing about anything I am in no way shape or form a competitive battler but I am getting into it, OK there i said it.
Darmanitan-Zen Mode
Scrafty
Conkledurr
Galvantula
Rotom-All
Scizor
Reuniclus
Tyranitar
Umbreon
Emboar
Swampert
Infernape
Haxorus
hydreigon
Now this is a short list of the Pokemon I'm gonna train and want No i don't know the natures i want for them or the abilities but I have smogon and serebii for those parts. Please critique this list if you must.
Everything sounds good, Conkledurr, Emboar, and Scrafty being the only thing I mights find remotely worth scratching off the list.

Infernape is just a better attacker than Emboar...Emboar is too damn slow to kick as much ass as Infernape. Or even Blaziken.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
VincentX3 said:

in this after you beat the League, Find the 5 Sages and beat Catherin (Sp? The chick from previous games that I'm guessing was a gym leader back then, Not sure of the name) After all that there isn't much left to do.

Victory Road was a terrible grinding spot for the Elite Four, as it was really low level. And Kanto felt...hollow. And most of Kanto was low-level.

Since I couldn't get Ice Beam via TM anymore, without playing the stupid Voltorb Flip game for hours and hours...Lance and his Dragons were a pain. And trainers NEVER wanted to rebattle. EVER.

I had to raise a Dewgong from a Seel, really slowly in Victory Road. Took me 5 fucking hours to get to 47 and learn Ice Beam.

Kanto felt shallow and tacked on. Like it did in G/S/C, now that I think about it.

And Kanto felt...hollow. And most of Kanto was low-level.
Kanto wild Pokemon were already lv50+ by the time you get there, How can that be low? It's been a while since I played HG\SS but I'm pretty sure there was lv60 Wilds too.

Kanto felt different, way overpowered but it's normal since it would be just... boring if everyone had the default town levels. B

But still going to Kanto, talking to everyone again and seeing what you're Pokemon has to say (I loved the Nostalgic air part in pallet Town) Then it's just more awesome when you get access to Mount Silver and find Red... Just standing there over the edge and challenges you to a wordless but Epic battle.

After there was still plenty to do, Legendary's where everywhere, Event's where awesome (But I'm guessing Black and White still has plenty of Event's to come) Sidequests as when Oak gives you the Sphere for capturing Groudon\Kyorgre.

Sorry but Black just didn't meet up with all that. It was good, just not as good as I expected.

I mean did they really have to get rid of Pokemon being able to follow you? T__T I dought space was the problem.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
VincentX3 said:
Kanto wild Pokemon were already lv50+ by the time you get there, How can that be low? It's been a while since I played HG\SS but I'm pretty sure there was lv60 Wilds too.
No...the levels were still quite low.

For example...

Digletts...in Diglett's Cave.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/location/050.shtml#hg

Level 13-19...

Piction Froject

Nov 11, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Piction Froject said:
Darmanitan-Zen Mode
Scrafty
Conkledurr
Galvantula
Rotom-All
Scizor
Reuniclus
Tyranitar
Umbreon
Emboar
Swampert
Infernape
Haxorus
hydreigon
Everything sounds good, Conkledurr, Emboar, and Scrafty being the only thing I mights find remotely worth scratching off the list.

Infernape is just a better attacker than Emboar...Emboar is too damn slow to kick as much ass as Infernape. Or even Blaziken.
Why Scrafty and Conkeldurr, One is a Fight\Dark type which is pretty handy and Conkeldurr may, and don't kill me for this but, may replace Machamp.

The Rookie Gamer

Mar 15, 2010
Ehh, for my team, I'm thinking about one focused around Kyurem, most likely a hail team. If I'm not mistaken, it's OU for some crazy reason.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
VincentX3 said:
No...the levels were still quite low.

For example...

Digletts...in Diglett's Cave.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/location/050.shtml#hg

Level 13-19...
Hmm Maybe it was just the trainers then that were Overpowered, Like I said it's been ages since I played HG\SS But I know something in Kanto was OP.

The Rookie Gamer

Mar 15, 2010
Piction Froject said:
Darmanitan-Zen Mode
Scrafty
Conkledurr
Galvantula
Rotom-All
Scizor
Reuniclus
Tyranitar
Umbreon
Emboar
Swampert
Infernape
Haxorus
hydreigon
I don't know about the Rotoms, as they lost some of their most useful ability of being spin blockers, as their Ghost type got removed. I would replace Emboar with Infernape, or Blaziken with the speed boost ability when it comes out. Ditch Haxorus for Grachomp, with superior speed at 102, outspeeding base 100's, bulk similar to swampert, and typing, which gives it access to STAB Earthquake and immunity to electric attacks, and thunder wave.

Nostalgia

Mar 8, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

Yep. Yepyepyepyep.

What a lot of people fail to realize is how terrible GSC post-game really is. Just because it had the additional Kanto gym leaders to it, making it seem like you're getting two games in one and therefor more, didn't make it the best.
Johto had a terrible leveling layout. Minus Mt. Silver, Johto's highest level Pokemon were in their mid 20's. Mid-fucking-20's. This was never fixed in HGSS. To make it worse, they give you trainers that hardly ever call you to battle and require that you're playing throughout that day to receive challenges, if you're lucky.
Then after beating the E4, you're greeted by level 4 Pidgey's and trainers that have mid-30 Pokemon. Um, what? At least they changed the trainers in the remakes.

I admit that Unova has a lackluster post-story as you're basically playing hide and seek and just exploring/training for Alder, but it at least has wild 65-ish Pokemon and trainers that reset daily, rather than whenever they feel like it.
I beat SS, but I found it irritating on how annoying it was to level or do anything really in that game afterward. I think most of my gametime was dedicated to Voltorb Flip because I found it really fun. I think I have like, nearly max coins (50k) sitting there doing nothing, lol.

Nostalgia

Mar 8, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

Scrafty is amazing. He has good bulk, amazing defensive and offensive typing, access to bulk up and dragon dance and is just an all around boss.
Have to remember that Dream World isn't available and therefor, no speed boost Blaziken.

VincentX3 said:
Hmm Maybe it was just the trainers then that were Overpowered, Like I said it's been ages since I played HG\SS But I know something in Kanto was OP.
Red is the only possible "OP" thing I can think of.

VincentX3 said:
I mean did they really have to get rid of Pokemon being able to follow you? T__T I dought space was the problem.
Also, can't believe people really, really, really seem to miss this.
It was cute, and well, yeah.. that's it really? I just kinda felt silly running around placing with Nidoking fitting his way into doors and having to come out each and every time I dismounted my bike, etc.

Piction Froject

Nov 11, 2010
The Rookie Gamer said:
Piction Froject said:
Darmanitan-Zen Mode
Scrafty
Conkledurr
Galvantula
Rotom-All
Scizor
Reuniclus
Tyranitar
Umbreon
Emboar
Swampert
Infernape
Haxorus
hydreigon
I don't know about the Rotoms, as they lost some of their most useful ability of being spin blockers, as their Ghost type got removed. I would replace Emboar with Infernape, or Blaziken with the speed boost ability when it comes out. Ditch Haxorus for Grachomp, with superior speed at 102, outspeeding base 100's, bulk similar to swampert, and typing, which gives it access to STAB Earthquake and immunity to electric attacks, and thunder wave.
You blew my mind with your poketalk. also do you use smogon by any chance?

The Rookie Gamer

Mar 15, 2010
Piction Froject said:
The Rookie Gamer said:
Piction Froject said:
Darmanitan-Zen Mode
Scrafty
Conkledurr
Galvantula
Rotom-All
Scizor
Reuniclus
Tyranitar
Umbreon
Emboar
Swampert
Infernape
Haxorus
hydreigon
Used to be a competitive battler. I wasn't really notable, but I can hold my own, and planning to get back into it once I get a PC to play Pokemon Online, and a AR that works with Pokemon White to pokesav some legit, competitive ones.

Piction Froject

Nov 11, 2010
The Rookie Gamer said:
Piction Froject said:
The Rookie Gamer said:
Piction Froject said:
Darmanitan-Zen Mode
Scrafty
Conkledurr
Galvantula
Rotom-All
Scizor
Reuniclus
Tyranitar
Umbreon
Emboar
Swampert
Infernape
Haxorus
hydreigon
Used to be a competitive battler. I wasn't really notable, but I can hold my own, and planning to get back into it once I get a PC to play Pokemon Online, and a AR that works with Pokemon White to pokesav some legit, competitive ones.
Pokemon Online? What in the world is that?

The Rookie Gamer

Mar 15, 2010
Piction Froject said:
The Rookie Gamer said:
Piction Froject said:
The Rookie Gamer said:
Piction Froject said:
Darmanitan-Zen Mode
Scrafty
Conkledurr
Galvantula
Rotom-All
Scizor
Reuniclus
Tyranitar
Umbreon
Emboar
Swampert
Infernape
Haxorus
hydreigon
Pokemon Online? What in the world is that?
It's a online battle simulator, with different servers, on of which is a Smogon one. Basically, it allows you to make a team, put in all the IVs, EVs, Nature, ect, and battle against other real people with their own teams. If you have a decent PC, you could download it.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
I bred a Modest Larvesta and EV Trained it in Special Attack and Speed. That's about it really, I plan on doing everything in the game before going into EV Training and doing other crap for competitive play.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Ice Car said:
I bred a Modest Larvesta and EV Trained it in Special Attack and Speed. That's about it really, I plan on doing everything in the game before going into EV Training and doing other crap for competitive play.
Any idea for the moveset?