Poll: Black Ops 4 will not have a single-player campaign

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Sad how COD is now chasing trends instead of being the ones setting them.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I wasn't going to get it anyway, but now I have even more reason not to do so.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Lufia Erim said:
Now after all the kneejerk reactions. You guys need to realise something. What happens if this game sells just as well as or better than previous entries?

Hell they won't even need to sell as well as previous games, because ( depending on the sales/profit) of the money they'll have saved from removing singleplayer.

Think about that. Other publishers/ Devs may just think " Fuck it" why make a singleplayer game when multiplayer is where the money is?
Lufia Erim said:
Now after all the kneejerk reactions. You guys need to realise something. What happens if this game sells just as well as or better than previous entries?

Hell they won't even need to sell as well as previous games, because ( depending on the sales/profit) of the money they'll have saved from removing singleplayer.

Think about that. Other publishers/ Devs may just think " Fuck it" why make a singleplayer game when multiplayer is where the money is?

This is the Perfect way to test this! Take a franchise that had both singleplayer and multiplayer, Remove one component ( in this case singleplayer) and compare the sales/profit made between the two!

This could set a very dangerous precedent!

But of course, why have actual discussion when " HURR DURR COD SUXOR" is way more popular.
I hate to tell you this but we've long since reached that point. Games like the Division, Sea of Thieves, Fortnight, PUBG, Destiny, Overwatch are all pretty much Multiplayer centered or multiplayer only.

And yet, Single player games still exist and some damn good ones come out each year. I'm not worried. As long as people want single player games, they will be made.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
So this is the end of Call of Duty's influence on the FPS market then? I'd imagine so, by walking away from what made Cod 4 such a huge hit, and completely ravishing their market's trust and interest, this will likely mark the point of time when their poor quality catches up and they star seeing less and less results.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Dalisclock said:
Lufia Erim said:

Lufia Erim said:

This is the Perfect way to test this! Take a franchise that had both singleplayer and multiplayer, Remove one component ( in this case singleplayer) and compare the sales/profit made between the two!

This could set a very dangerous precedent!

But of course, why have actual discussion when " HURR DURR COD SUXOR" is way more popular.
I hate to tell you this but we've long since reached that point. Games like the Division, Sea of Thieves, Fortnight, PUBG, Destiny, Overwatch are all pretty much Multiplayer centered or multiplayer only.

And yet, Single player games still exist and some damn good ones come out each year. I'm not worried. As long as people want single player games, they will be made.
You missed my point. I mean actively, taking out singleplayer, from an established franchise that had both.

Singleplayer gsmes always existed. Multiplayer only games always existed. Then the industry tacked on Multiplayer to existing singleplayer games. Now they are removing the singleplayer. If this move is More beneficial, then single player will die.

People weren't worried about microtransactions when Horse armor became a thing. Look where we are at now. We need to be Proactive rather than reactive.

As For "As long as people want single player games, they will be made."

i don't believe this is true. As far as current trends go, people don't want singleplayer games. Wait let me rephrase that. Not as many people want singleplayer games as those who want multiplayer games.

Singleplayer games also cost more to make than Multiplayer games. So we have a situation where, Singleplayer games not only cost more but sell less than multiplayer games. What incentive does anyone have to make a singleplayer game?

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Will it have Zombies?

Because while I dont care for the CoD series, my understanding of its selling points to the core audience are : MP and Zombies mode. Im not 100% sure they even know the SP exists. The people who care about the SP are people who also wont buy it because its a MP focused game, and use the SP to talk more shit about how awful the games are.

So, I dont see the problem. Core audience is probably fine with it, stop being a bunching bag for people who were never going to buy your game anyway, win/win.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
So supposedly Black Ops 4 doesn't have a campaign, and the supposed Modern Warfare 2 remaster doesn't have a multiplayer. I can take a guess, then, that MW2 will just be bundled with BO4 like the MW remaster was.

Okay, sure thing.

I mean, I haven't bought a CoD game since OG MW2, and this is certainly not going to change that.

To be fair, though, I wonder what percentage of players actually bother with the campaign. I know that there are those who buy CoD solely for the campaign, but the majority of players - i'd estimate - just buy the game for the multiplayer suite, and on that front, if scrapping the campaign means more multiplayer content, that is a net positive for a lot of players.

Frankly, im amazed that they didn't ditch the campaign sooner, given the success of multiplayer only games like Rainbow Six Siege and Overwatch, and the general luke-warm reception to the series' recent story outings.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Lufia Erim said:
You missed my point. I mean actively, taking out singleplayer, from an established franchise that had both.

Singleplayer gsmes always existed. Multiplayer only games always existed. Then the industry tacked on Multiplayer to existing singleplayer games. Now they are removing the singleplayer. If this move is More beneficial, then single player will die.

People weren't worried about microtransactions when Horse armor became a thing. Look where we are at now. We need to be Proactive rather than reactive.

As For "As long as people want single player games, they will be made."

i don't believe this is true. As far as current trends go, people don't want singleplayer games. Wait let me rephrase that. Not as many people want singleplayer games as those who want multiplayer games.

Singleplayer games also cost more to make than Multiplayer games. So we have a situation where, Singleplayer games not only cost more but sell less than multiplayer games. What incentive does anyone have to make a singleplayer game?
People will still want to tell stories and people will always want to be part of stories. That concept will only die when humanity dies.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Lufia Erim said:
Simple. People still want single-player games and people still want to make them. It's as simple as that. Not every developer subscribes to the "We must make all the money" philosophy of companies like EA. They make the kind of games they want to see made, not the ones that will make a million billion dollars.

Some people actually do it for the art, not pure profit. And again, I point out the fact that despite Mutiplayer games making tons of money, there are still lauded and profitable single player games coming out every year. Some years are leaner then others but there's still good stuff to find. Sometimes you just have to look a little further out and try something new.

As for CoD, I started with the first CoD like a decade ago and slowly stopped caring because it was evident they stopped caring about the quality of their campaigns. The last one I really liked was Advanced Warfare(Infinite Warfare was okay but heavily flawed). The transformation of CoD into a soulless cash machine has happening for years now. They just dropped the pretense with this. I accepted CoD stopped being what I wanted a while back so this doesn't surprise me any.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Laggyteabag said:
Frankly, im amazed that they didn't ditch the campaign sooner, given the success of multiplayer only games like Rainbow Six Siege and Overwatch, and the general luke-warm reception to the series' recent story outings.
Thing is though, Siege and Overwatch are based around a single core product that's added to over time. CoD has an annual release cycle. So, say CoD became multiplayer only, but still had the annual release cycles. Say if Black Ops 4 is multiplayer only, then Black Ops 5 is released three years later is also multiplayer only. So, how does that work? And on another note, where's the "call of duty" in participating in a last man standing scenario?

Not saying that this can't happen, but it seems that CoD is potentially shooting itself in the foot, unless the annual release cycle is stopped.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Meh, this just means I won't even rent it from my Redbox now. I haven't played COD's multiplayer since MW2 (last one I paid full price for), and the last COD game I bought was Black Ops II and that was for $30 on a steam sale. Every COD single player campaign since Black OPs II is at best worth $10 to me and there is usually something better that I can get for $10.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
MC1980 said:
Dalisclock said:
Simple. People still want single-player games and people still want to make them. It's as simple as that. Not every developer subscribes to the "We must make all the money" philosophy of companies like EA. They make the kind of games they want to see made, not the ones that will make a million billion dollars.

Some people actually do it for the art, not pure profit. And again, I point out the fact that despite Mutiplayer games making tons of money, there are still lauded and profitable single player games coming out every year. Some years are leaner then others but there's still good stuff to find. Sometimes you just have to look a little further out and try something new.
Only CoD is making CoD quality campaigns. If CoD stops making them, nobody will pick up the slack. Battlefield got praised for their atrociously designed SP in BF1, and they'll double down on that. That's runner up. Nobody comes close after that. That's it, an entire style is just gone. Nobody picks up the slack for that. No other AAA in the running.

Indies are even worse for this, creating a complex campaign is like garlic for vampires there. 70% of new FPS have the revolutionary idea of being MP only. I guess they were ahead of the curve.
I'm sorry, I was under the impression we were talking about Single Player games in general, not just FPSs. If we're only talking about FPS, I'll concede that CoD has been the only series to consistently have a decent SP campaign(though the last couple years haven't been particularly good).

Though Bethsha and Ubisoft(Far Cry) is picking up the slack somewhat on the FPS front for SP. If CoD bows out of the SP game completely, it's only a matter of time before someone else steps in to fill that void. There'll always be a demand and eventually someone will supply it.

These things run in cycles. I remember when Medal of Honor was the go to for FPS and then CoD stepped in and ate their lunch. It's only a matter of time before the same thing happens to CoD. It just might be a lean couple of years for shooters before it happens.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Interesting that you mention Unreal Tournament as a good game Shadowrun tried to become- as UT doesn't have a campaign story either.

Let's be real here- we all saw this coming. Everyone craps on COD campaigns so much it was only a matter of time before they decided to ditch it entirely.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I remember when Call of Duty was the innovation. Now it sounds like they're trying to play catch up with a stale formula against competition who are willing to improvise.

Overwatch continues to blow other FPS games out of the water and provides a steady stream of revenue for Blizzard. It has no single player and none was expected from it.

As many hours people spend playing the multiplayer over the single-player aspect of CoD games, it's the single player that sets the tone and allows the multi-player to be engaging. Otherwise it's just shooting dudes with guns again. And there are already games that do that, they're called Call of Duty.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I am dissapointed because this is Treyarch's next Call of Duty and those guys made the best COD campaigns imo.

I guess Black Ops 3 really ruined thier image of campaigns.

captainsavvy

Jan 5, 2009
I too am one of those unicorns that only played CoD for the single player campaigns.
All this has done has make it incredibly easy for me to decide whether or not to buy BLOPS4, and save myself a chunk of money that I can spend on another game.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
captainsavvy said:
I too am one of those unicorns that only played CoD for the single player campaigns.
All this has done has make it incredibly easy for me to decide whether or not to buy BLOPS4, and save myself a chunk of money that I can spend on another game.
Yeah, I know exactly how you feel. Then again, the last game in the series I actually thought was good was Advanced Warfare(me and like 3 other people). I really wanted to like Infinite warfare but the fact Jon Snow(Sorry, can't remember his in-game name) was a shitty, forgettable villain and the "Heros" were madly clutching the idiot ball the entire time made it really hard to care. Talking about Sacrifice works a lot better when it isn't your rampant incompetence that is causing said sacrifices.

I didn't bother with BLOPS3, Ghosts or WW2 because they sounded like they weren't worth the time/money. Between all of those, I've made my peace with the fact that the CoD I liked is gone and has been for a long time. Kinda like when Lucasarts closed down, they'd stopped making games I cared about long before that and I'd long since accepted they were gone.