Poll: Bob Dylan - Talentless Hack?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
MrGalactus said:
Ah, ok, you mean stuff that you were brought up to assume were good just because they're supposed to be, you associate with the kind of people who happen to be musical elitists? I think I get it. There are people do think their tastes are "better" than other peoples just because what they listen to is widely considered classic or revolutionary or whatever.
exactly, I don;t believe all music is created eaqual...but I also don't belive alot of the "well loved stuff" (from a very mainstream point of veiw) is the be all and end all of music

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Try and find someone more influential than Bob Dylan, and then tell me what that makes all artists today if Bob Dylan is a talentless hack. Make me laugh, please.

As for his voice, at least he is original and can a hold a note. Most singers now sound like either past pop stars or a dying animal.

However, he has said some really controversial things in the past, and also changed his style drastically that put a lot of people off as well. That still doesn't change that he is easily one of the best and most iconic artists in the world.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Oh it isn't, but you should really judge the music on it's own merits, not on the attitude of the fan-base. And liking it doesn't necessarily make you one of them. (I know you're better than that)
I do....and sometimes its "eh" and sometimes its great..depending on what it is

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
The man wrote poetry and put a guitar backing to it, belting it out in his characterful voice because he wasn't going to trust anyone else to do it.

Good stuff.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Dr Jones said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I'm surprised that guy with the Bob Dylan avatar isn't here yet.
(Also, if you are thinking of some other Bob Dylan avatared fella, this is super-awkward).
No, I was meaning you. I don't think I've seen anyone else on the site with a Dylan avatar.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
I prefer his sons work
Jacob Dylan as part of the Wallflowers - one headlight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzyfcys1aLM

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
The man can ramble like a pro. Not really a fan, but you got to respect his skill for lyrics.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
I.Muir said:
I prefer his sons work
Never really did hear Jacob's work (not yet at least), but it is kinda sad that he lives in Bob's shadow. Whatever he does, there will be people comparing him to his father (also the name "Wallflower", I can't figure it out (well I haven't really tried) but isn't it a small nod to the BD song "Wallflowers"?).

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
Not a big fan of his singing but then again listening to Bob Dylan for good singing is like listening to The Ramones for complex melodies. That's not what he's about. What you should listen to Bob Dylan for is his lyrical skill.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
He's one of those artists who has released too many songs for anyone who hasn't listened to all of them to really give a good judgement on him.

But anyone who has written as many good songs as he has (no matter how many bad/boring/average songs he has) must have talent. And a hell of a lot more than most popular modern artists.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Sh1nobu said:
I had to research 60's music for a school project a while ago and happened to stumble upon a lot of negativity on Bob Dylan. All the positive stuff seemed to be rabid fans defending their favorite artist. The negative stuff was all about how "he was a talentless hack" and "had a horrible singing voice". I find him one of the most influential artists of the 60's and can't see why anyone would dislike him that much.

So I'll ask the least idiotic fellows I have happened to stumble upon in the interwebs - you.

Some of his songs, if you havn't listened to him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk3mAX5xdxo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X6MIgFtxnw
Bob Dylan wrote "All Along the Watchtower"

Q.E.D. anyone who calls him a "Talentless hack" is objectively wrong.

bandman232

Jun 27, 2010
Every time I hear a Bob Dylan song I want to rip my ears off to make it stop. That's how much I hate him.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Broax said:
He has horrible singing voice but it works well for his work. He's a great artist, musician and composer... His voice has bad pitch but on the other hand has a lot of character, kinda like Janis Joplin, Jimi hendrix, etc. They don't have great voices but make great music with them.

It's how you use the instrument (voice) that counts. And in a time without autotune I think they did an amazing work...

I think it's valid not to like them as you can't argue about taste. But his influence on music for generations is undeniable.
I thought Hendrix's voice was amazing :D. But that's just me i'm a die hard Hendrix fan

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
Jimi Hendrix actually liked Bob Dylan because he was an example of how you could make it in the music business without actually having a spectacular voice.

That said, I love The Times They Are A-Changing and All Along The Watchtower. :)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
There seems to be some opposition around here, but I'm afraid I can't hear it over this funny noise ringing in my ears. Namely, a grating and irritating sound that disrupts the senses and creates physical pain that some attribute to be the result of a man. I'm Irish, so I'm alright with bagpipes, and I'm a Weird Al fan, so accordians are okay by me, but there are some sounds that I will not stand for...to the point where I actually made it a weakness for one of my musically-talented characters. Start Bob Dylan up and he crumbles...and I am almost the same way.

Broax

May 17, 2010
DugMachine said:
I thought Hendrix's voice was amazing :D. But that's just me i'm a die hard Hendrix fan
Hendrix is my favorite all time guitarist... He's magical with a guitar and a great (giant) influence in rock and a lot of musical genres... But I find his voice lacking in quality. Which doesn't mean I don't love to listen to him sing... His voice has character.. Most of the time it's more important to have character then perfect pitch... =)

GameChanger said:
Jimi Hendrix actually liked Bob Dylan because he was an example of how you could make it in the music business without actually having a spectacular voice.

That said, I love The Times They Are A-Changing and All Along The Watchtower. :)
Indeed... I once saw a documetnary 'bout hendrix and he was quoting for saying "if that guy can sing with that voice, then so can I!" and that's when he made the leap from guitar player (sometimes backup guitar!!!) to guitarist/vocalist!

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Dr Jones said:
I.Muir said:
I prefer his sons work
Never really did hear Jacob's work (not yet at least), but it is kinda sad that he lives in Bob's shadow. Whatever he does, there will be people comparing him to his father (also the name "Wallflower", I can't figure it out (well I haven't really tried) but isn't it a small nod to the BD song "Wallflowers"?).
Haven't got a clue but it's a distinct possibility

theguitarhero6

Nov 21, 2009
I voted overrated, but then again this is coming from someone who lives in Hibbing, MN (His childhood home, I also live walking distance from his old house.)We never hear enough about ol' Robert, since we have a museum and galleries and even a whole day and street named after him and his legacy. And also this is coming from a die-hard heavy metal fan.:/ But idk, he's obviously inspired a lot of folks, and his genre defines pretty much how he sings, so I can't rag on him too bad, but it just sorta literally hits home when he gets all this praise and my town (which booed him offstage earlier in his career, mind you) picks up and dedicates shit to him, prying tourists' attention by ridin on his fame.