Poll: Boil Down to Warrior, Mage, or Scout.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
To apply it to overall gaming rather than just MMOs, I generally end up as the Scout/Rogue/Sniper type for my team/group. Its not that I don't like playing other roles, but more often than not that seems to be where I fit in on the team.

I tend to either be ranged support or the more independent flanker so I would say much of my gameplay habits fit into the 'Scout' archtype.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I used to always play Warriors, but over the last few years I've moved towards playing Stealthy/Assassin type of characters. I dunno, I think "Mark of the Ninja" made me want to be whatever character is most closely related to a Ninja.

On that note, Ninjas rule.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
for mmo's it's really tank, dps, cc, and healer. i voted mage, but i really play healer.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
I prefer the "warrior" type classes.

Tanking is so much fun, I can't really see myself doing anything else.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Hmm well I have played them all in different games I found the Warrior the easiest but most boring with the Rogue (scout?) or Mage type being the most fun depending on the game (Warlock in WoW and Witch Elf in War), however any kind of lag destroys Rogues especially.

My favourite of all was playing the Witch Elf in Warhammer Online even though she was my secondary I managed to pull of some crazy shit with her like killing 5 enemy team members 4 of whom were higher level successively to give our team the win in the closing of the match ah so many disarms and crits it was beautiful.

I tend to dislike heavy cool downs though which is why I was never a huge fan of Rogues or Mages in Wow depite maining a Rogue (first time) and also why I ended up liking the Warlock because I could Dot all day long and it was much easier and faster than going into slow mode(sneak mode) and then getting behind a target before ambushing them and hoping you dont miss, seriously how do you miss when you have a stationary target that cant see you?

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
It comes down to

"most money spent on dlc"
"most money spent on subscription"
"best internet connection (usually USA due to locality of servers)

schtingah

Jun 1, 2011
In MMO's I will always pick the healer class because in instances and stuff it's the role I enjoy the most. In tabletop/single-player RPG's I like to get a Mobile/Agile character, sp I voted scout on this one.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
I'd normally think Scout is replaced with Rogue. Never seen scout in a game [Outside TF2], but Rogue has been in pretty much all I've played.

Jandau said:
Actually, it comes down to Tank, Damage and Healer. And of those three I'm usually the Tank.
Even this is a bit specific. More DPS, tank, and support. In a lot of games there is more support than just healing, I.E: Requiring a rogue so that you can unlock doors to advance, or treasure chests for healing items and such. Healing is just one type of support, though it is the most used in the MMO holy trinity.

Out of the lot I play the rogue most. In most games it gets a decent DPS build, has a bunch of support skills for getting me more loot, and is more focused around not being attacked whilst still attacking, as opposed to the warrior's run in and keep attacking and getting attacked, which IMO makes it more interesting to play, needing to manage agro and such better than just maxing it out.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
In the majority of the games I played where I get to choose classes I always seem to go towards the Warrior archetype in DPS role of course.

I sometimes try the rogue when finishing with the warrior. I rarely choose the mage, because I'd rather have good sustained damage than be a glass cannon.

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
Doom972 said:
Jandau said:
Actually, it comes down to Tank, Damage and Healer. And of those three I'm usually the Tank.
Damage is usually split to two different classes: DPS and AOE.

There's the Tank (Warrior), DPS (Rogue), AOE (Mage), and Healer (Cleric). Basically the classic D&D classes put into more generic terms.
agreed, it does seem to always come down to 'glass-cannon' Nuker (Mage DPS), sniper (rougish/arrow-wielding DPS), Tanker, and healer...

me personally, i hate this 'limitation', i like doing my own thing so i get good at doing all of them or have a kind of balance, but if i have to part i much prefer a Tanker, as the 'job' is very simple, piss everything off so it attacks you... the only thing i need then is a competent healer (usually my brother) and some DPS not stupid enough to over-aggro themselves and kill all the adds so we can off the boss... its the later two reason i don't 'group' much, as i usually end up with that Healer that doesn't want to HEAL and DPS guys that are over-attacking and i can't aggro cause they already pissed the monsters off too much...

so yea... Hybrid for me... i'm tired of these 'confining' classes anyway...

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Ikasury said:
Doom972 said:
Jandau said:
Damage is usually split to two different classes: DPS and AOE.

There's the Tank (Warrior), DPS (Rogue), AOE (Mage), and Healer (Cleric). Basically the classic D&D classes put into more generic terms.
agreed, it does seem to always come down to 'glass-cannon' Nuker (Mage DPS), sniper (rougish/arrow-wielding DPS), Tanker, and healer...

me personally, i hate this 'limitation', i like doing my own thing so i get good at doing all of them or have a kind of balance, but if i have to part i much prefer a Tanker, as the 'job' is very simple, piss everything off so it attacks you... the only thing i need then is a competent healer (usually my brother) and some DPS not stupid enough to over-aggro themselves and kill all the adds so we can off the boss... its the later two reason i don't 'group' much, as i usually end up with that Healer that doesn't want to HEAL and DPS guys that are over-attacking and i can't aggro cause they already pissed the monsters off too much...

so yea... Hybrid for me... i'm tired of these 'confining' classes anyway...
I know exactly what you mean. I think that classes are unnecessary in modern RPGs. My favorite RPG system is SPECIAL (as it was in the classic Fallout games), as it allows a lot of freedom at character creation and level-ups while still maintaining the feel of having a specialization.

I guess that MMORPGs still cling to the traditional classes because otherwise people would have less incentive to work together.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I usually play something along the lines of a Mage-Knight.
Failing that, a warrior.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
In MMOs, I tend to play a warrior-mage, usually with a healer or buffing bent. So, a paladin, basically.

That or a mage of some kind.

I tend to avoid rogues, as they tend towards ranged combat, which feels less heroic to me.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
As you can see, there's a lot of disagreement over what 'it' boils down to, but of those three I'd go warrior. Where practical, I tend to go for a tanky melee class, and if available, with healing on the side.

Xaidor

Feb 15, 2014
Scout for sure.
Any class that can move fast, hit and run, flank, attack from behind, be stealthy and generally hit hard in a few hits while knowing you are fragile yourself is a class for me.
High-rewards for patience and good timing is what I really want.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
Ok, so a rouge would be the scout. I like the hybrid combination of warrior and scout. My warrior can't be like a tank though.