Poll: Borderlands 2, balance issues.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
KarmaTheAlligator said:
What is that Shift key generator you speak of?
Sorry, shift codes. You know, to get keys to open the chest next to the travel station in Sanctuary.

I think there were codes given out to people who preordered the game, but I only recently heard about them because...well I didn't start playing Borderlands 2 until this month. I just went to the Gearbox site to register. Didn't have to 'like' them on Facebook (thank God). Not that I don't like Gearbox, I just think pledging any level of allegiance to a corporation is--I just won't do it on principal alone. Plus I fucking hate Facebook.

Thankfully they're still generating codes but I wonder just how long they'll keep it up.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Festus Moonbear said:
FizzyIzze said:
I hate to ask this, but has anyone here taken advantage of the Shift key generator via Gearbox online? Or is that considered, I dunno, lame?
Not lame at all, most BL2 fans use Shift codes. They can really help you out of a tight spot sometimes when you can't find a good gun for your level. One of my best-loved guns in the game, cherished and passed from character to character, came out of the golden chest.
Yeah, I was kinda surprised as I got five keys and I think I kept maybe one gun out of the six or so I received. I have to admit, it's a great incentive to keep playing the game. Very clever those Gearbox folks.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
From my experience, Salvador is probably the best all-round, while Krieg works better in some situations and worse in others.

Gaige has some fantastic abilities that exploit some of the best equipment, but her action skill doesn't work on some bosses I've noticed, and she doesn't have the survivability of the previous two as far as I'm aware.

Maya isn't fantastic, but she is very helpful regardless mostly because of Res, and personally the amount of Team Regen she can dish out is helpful too.

Zero is awful, and only gets worse with every level cap increase. I struggled to pick abilities by the time I was at level 35 or so, while the other characters all have abilities you wished you could get but couldn't reach at level 50. His action skill is almost worthless in multiplayer, serving only to help revive people really, and Res is better. IIRC, he does have an ability that works well with the infinity pistol, but it's nowhere near enough to stand up to the others. His melee tree is next to unusable even by the end of the first playthrough, even using Law & Order or any of the other good melee combos.

I have never used Axton, but I would put him below Maya myself, because although he's probably a little bit better, Res is far more useful.

But yeah. Krieg is just immortal most of the time, bypasses some enemy's damage resistances, but stuck to melee or very slow ranged attacks and at least back when I played it, he was prone to glitches with his skill... and Salvador is just broken... Stupid damage, stupid health regen, magazine regen, stupid fire rate and two guns to boot... but he can die, and sometimes he has to wait for his action skill a little.

Those are my impressions at least.

PainInTheAssInternet said:
I haven't played B2, though my roommates own it.

I can say that I found rocket launchers practically useless in B1. I was always puzzled. For context, I had corrosive, explosive and incendiary rockets using the soldier class and they all seemed to do minimal damage compared to my pistols. To the best of my recollection, the stats boasted 400 damage for one of them.

I think balance will always be an issue in games where there are so many options. I think that's why COD has such an issue with it; there are simply too many options to account for.
IIRC, you were only really supposed to use rockets on the Berserker because the ammo regenerated every time you killed something. They were good for AoE damage and somewhat for accuracy at a distance if you were focusing on shotguns, but without regenerating the ammo they were never that useful.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
FizzyIzze said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
What is that Shift key generator you speak of?
Sorry, shift codes. You know, to get keys to open the chest next to the travel station in Sanctuary.

I think there were codes given out to people who preordered the game, but I only recently heard about them because...well I didn't start playing Borderlands 2 until this month. I just went to the Gearbox site to register. Didn't have to 'like' them on Facebook (thank God). Not that I don't like Gearbox, I just think pledging any level of allegiance to a corporation is--I just won't do it on principal alone. Plus I fucking hate Facebook.

Thankfully they're still generating codes but I wonder just how long they'll keep it up.
Oh, those. Yeah, I used them for a while, and still do for my legit characters when playing with my friends, but for my solo characters, I use a save editor and profile editor, so I have as many keys as I want, and the exact gear I want.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Every character has their strengths and weaknesses and even the best character builds need the right equipment to be truly overpowered.

That said, Salvador + Sham shield + certain rampage tree skills + 2 good rocket launchers = infinite ammo; dual wielded; rocket launchers = walking apocalypse.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I wouldn't necessarily call Gaige overpowered. She may hit hard at the best of times, but her defence is as low as the rest of them. And it takes a long time and strong dedication to build up those Anarchy stacks, and even then you have terrible accuracy, so you have to throw yourself right in the thick of battle. And just because you hit harder doesn't mean you can take a hit - and going down when you have heaps of stacks guarantees death.

Axton on the other hand is aided by up to two turrets, firing slag and rockets like two extra partners. As long as they're out, he can almost never go down. I'll take strong defence and decent offence than pure offence any day.

But as for the most reliable offensive output, Salvador is probably the most overpowered.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Festus Moonbear said:
The Assassin's action skill shows its worth in playthrough 2 and onwards. In playthrough 1 I didn't use it at all, but once I got him to the higher levels I found it indispensable and really noticed its absence when playing other characters. His melee spec is also devastating, although I don't use it myself.
I imagine that happens to everyone after playing something other than their main. Going to Zero from Maya was awful because I was so accustomed to pointing at something and making it die.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
I found Krieg to be absolutely broken. I had played through the game with the other 5 before him (I started with Siren because I'm a glutton for punishment as Sirens are easily the most underpowered in the beginning stages of both borderlands games, and i ended with Salvador... everyone says he's good, but he was easily the toughest character to beat the game with...I haven't even started true vault hunter with him because I don't like playing him at all) anyways... when Krieg came out... the game felt far too easy. especially after getting his final skill down Mania where he refills his health to full at the start of blood axe rampage, gets 50% damage reduction, an additional 100% damage bonus to melee on top of the 500% he gets from blood axe rampage, and when the rampage ends you can go right back into it. once I got that skill, there was literally no stopping me. even the constructors and super badass loaders (the only enemies to give me difficulty at all) couldnt stop Kriegs roaring rampage of destruction. and I loved ever second of it.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Anthony Wells said:
I found Krieg to be absolutely broken. I had played through the game with the other 5 before him (I started with Siren because I'm a glutton for punishment as Sirens are easily the most underpowered in the beginning stages of both borderlands games, and i ended with Salvador... everyone says he's good, but he was easily the toughest character to beat the game with...I haven't even started true vault hunter with him because I don't like playing him at all) anyways... when Krieg came out... the game felt far too easy. especially after getting his final skill down Mania where he refills his health to full at the start of blood axe rampage, gets 50% damage reduction, an additional 100% damage bonus to melee on top of the 500% he gets from blood axe rampage, and when the rampage ends you can go right back into it. once I got that skill, there was literally no stopping me. even the constructors and super badass loaders (the only enemies to give me difficulty at all) couldnt stop Kriegs roaring rampage of destruction. and I loved ever second of it.
Yeah Krieg is a monster. The only thing he lacks IIRC is a natural way of applying Slag. Bloodsplosion from a Slag source being the closest he gets I think.