Poll: Call of Duty requires Skill... or not?

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
I think that Call of Duty requires far less skill then other shooters like Halo. I find that Call of Duty leans too much on perk combinations. Granted, with the removal of broken perks like Stopping Power skill can now factor back into CoD, but the main reason that I die and someone else lives is because they have perks that I don't.

It irritates me to the point where I don't want to keep playing. I'll switch to Halo where all the balance is in the gun and every weapon has a counter (except for maybe the DMR, which can only be countered with another DMR).

Perks are the one single reason I stopped playing Modern Warfare 2 - that and 1500 kills with the M4AI was a f***ing chore. Put the right perk on the right weapon and you become unstoppable unless someone has the exact same weapon you do.

And the whole thing about some weapons requiring perks like Stopping Power to function properly (I'm talking to YOU, Beretta .50 cal sniper rifle...).

gg4u2

Dec 7, 2010
Its all about being in the right place at the right time, if you see your enemy first theres about a 90% chance you will win that encounter

crazypsyko666

I AM A GOD
Apr 8, 2010
Any game where you can kill someone across the map with a knife but not a shotgun does not require any kind of real skill. Persistence and good control is all that's really required to be good at COD, it's been that way since good old number one.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Is it possible to suck at Call of Duty? Yes? Then yes, it does.

I'm not a huge fan of the series, but to say something like this takes no skill is simply stupid. If there is any action the player can take that will decide the outcome of the game, there is skill involved. Those little kid games where we spun the wheel to see how many cherries we got; those took no skill. Slot machines, those take no skill. A game where your movements, actions, and attacks determine whether you gain a point for your team or for the opposition very obviously take skill. That's all there is to it.

LiftYourSkinnyFists

Aug 15, 2009
Every game from COD to that penguin batting flash game requires a small few grams of skill at least depending on how good you want to be.

Archereus

Aug 18, 2008
All game require skill, most gamers see even the most basic functions as easy. If you put a remote control in the hands of someone who never played an FPS before they will have a lot of trouble even aiming. Most of us have gotten so good that the basic parts of the game are easy and its the small parts we focus on.

Call of Duty like all games require skill, but like all games, there are ways of making it where you can do well with little amounts of skill, like the nuke tube in modern warfare 2.

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
Just a little bit.

the majority of Call of Duty is luck, at least in softcore.

When 2 people are spraying at each other, the game becomes a gamble.

Both shooters are waiting for the random bullet patterns to kill their opponent. It's up to the game who wins in those situations.

Because of the spawn generation, turning corners is also a gamble. There may be a person sprinting around the same corner with his knife ready, there might be a person on the OTHER corner.

There's also the issue of lag and interpolation and "hitching".

That's why everyone I know who's "good" at Call of Duty sometimes get 28 and 3 (me included) and sometimes 3 and 14.

Then again, I'm speaking in terms of the PC versions.

EDIT: these are only a few examples of luck based mechanics in CoD as there are a lot more.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Yeah it's really hard. So hard I've gotten nuke with just my knife.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
depends on the platform i'd say. on consoles autoaim and different connection speeds due to the lack of servers crush every trace of skillbased competition. on pc / in general: of course one needs "skill", otherwise there would be neither good nor bad players.

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
Of course it needs skill. Does it help develop skills that are useful in the realworld? Not really. Games that promote resource management, teamwork, or coordinating several items at once promote real-world skills, but not much in CoD is applicable in the rest of your life.

But the fact that somebody who has played before will beat somebody who hasn't played indicates that at least some level of "skill" is necessary (you can argue about how to define skill, I'm not in the mood). Things like prediction of an enemies movement, analyzing the map layout to find the best locations to attack from, as well as quick reactions to respond to the unexpected all count as some sort of "skill" to me.

But now that I think about it, a reeeaaaaly good player shouldn't have to have quick reflexes at all. A good player will know his opponents move before his opponent does, and he will be able to make them move around the battlefield like a conductor controls the orchestra. But that can apply to all games, not just CoD, so whatever.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Of course, aiming is a skill, enemy movement extrapolation is a skill, team coordination is a skill.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Tankichi said:
Gxas said:
A little. Not too much. I mean, getting into it and strategizing with your team takes some skill (making your team listen to you in the first place is just luck).

But come on, if I can pick up a controller and go +3K/D on my first match ever, then there isn't much involved here.
Exactly. I got a 27-14 with only knifing so it can't be that hard. And i almost never FPS game online.
Then the other team must have been terrible.

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
Going to respond as if this was a mostly reasonable debate and not just a chance for all the people who decide they hate anything mainstream to belittle the people they view as sheep for also being 'skillless' (sorry to anybody who is genuinely contributing)

The number of people who do not consider twitch reflexes and aiming ability to be skills confuses me, those are things you can be more skilled at doing than another person..
Reflexes and twitch decisions are a major part of any sport, something athletes will train for hours. Why is it some kind of delusion that it's not part of some arbitrary 'skill' value? I'm just going to pretend like all those are votes for yes.

Another thing..saying "I got x K/D on my first game" is about as useless an argument as they come, 1: it's anecdotal at best, 2: your enemies being less skilled than you does not automatically remove skill from the eqaution..that's like playing football with your 4 year old son and then deciding you are automatically good enough to beat anybody :/. Anybody who says that should start playing with and against organised teams and not just the random people who squat in the dregs of every server >_>

I'm not even a CoD player, last time I played was CoD4 was singleplayer on my xbox with no live. But I have played plenty of FPS games and even though 1 vs 1 may seem unbalanced..the actual skill involved in tactics and positioning and aiming and reflexes makes a massive difference and certain people always come out on top to show this.