Poll: Camping in Gaming

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
its wrong , its against reason and god, it makes you less than a person, it makes you want carnal knowledge of your own mother , its also been clearly documented it makes you put on a slinky body conscious dress, heels and pantyhose then spend most of your weekend in the last stall of a random truck stop toilet. it gives you instant permanent life long membership to the clueless fuckwit clan and makes you sterile. it is the last bastion and hope of the skill less , a celebration of being mediocre, you have the charm of that crusty sock in the bottom of a teenage boys laundry and is the scumbag tactic only ever utilised by fat, gay, virgins who still love with mommy.

TL:dr - its wrong and i'm against it!

p.s. as this is the internet i suppose i better state this is a light hearted comedic reply, but you do seriously deserve both the shotgun barrels a real man will put into the back of your head ;)

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
To me it depends on your role or the situation.

If you're a sniper, sure, sit in a vantage point all you want. If you're defending the enemy teams objective, like, a flag or something. Then sure, lock that shit down. If you're sitting in the corner of a room with your LMG pointed at the door just for kills because all you care about in life is your K/D ratio then GTFO.
This is about how I feel. I tend to play a sniper in FPS games, but I always try to do it for the team's benefit. It's not always easy to do, because random teams of people will tend to rush towards random spots on the map rather than focusing on one or few objectives, but I still try to take up a good sniping position overlooking either the position my team is or should be assaulting next or defending the one we've got. That's the whole point of the game, and as someone said above, that's how a sniper rifle is meant to be used.

But yeah I'm not a fan of sitting in a corner next to a crucial doorway with a shotgun/LMG - not unless the map is very closed off and that's sort of the only thing you can do (see: ending stage of Naval Assault or whatever it's called in BF4 - you're forced onto a ship to defend it and there's not much room to maneuver, it's just about holding down the fort as long as you can). When I'm playing an assault class (which tends to be everyone except the sniper), I prefer actually playing the objective and moving towards it as much as I can - hopefully with a teammate or two near me.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
It's not at all wrong. It's cheap as fuck, but it isn't cheating. It is a sign of bad level design though.

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
i voted no....BUT!

i am not voting no against the FPS game camping.using your sniper to do their job isnt camping, its providing support and even laying down supressive fire (lol)and camping your teams base if you are a good defensive player is also fine

i am voting no against the corpse camping, graveyard camping and general ganking aspect of the camping that goes on in MMO type games.
(which is for another thread)

also, camping in laser tag type games is fun, if you cant run about as much as the rest of the team. its one of my faveorite strategies to find a nice spot and hit everyone once or twice at least as they run past (especialy as running is often against the rules in laser games lol)

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
NoX 9 said:
My issue with 'camping' isn't it's stationary nature though, it is more that 'win' part. Some players have no awareness of how the game is evolving, and will remain in the very same spot no matter what. See this quite a bit in Warthunder GF, where map control is extremely important for a win. They will occupy a tiny flake of land, letting their enemy manouver as they see fit on the rest of it.

The 'rush and die' guys are equally annoying though, and often the same ones to cry "noob camper team" in chat when they die.
I agree. People that JUST camp are just scared they might get shot instead, imo. And the ones that rush in are stupid as hell. Though in the types of games I play, rushing in solo can actually be a good thing in certain situations. xD

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I wouldn't say that it's wrong, but it is kind of boring. In C.S. for example everyone meets up though one way or another and then theres one guy sitting on the roof in his camp waiting for half dead leftovers wasting eveyones time.

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
I thought this was going to be about camping in video games. Like, setting up a tent. A campfire. Lightly roasting marshmallows on twigs. In co-op especially. I wish more games had that.

As for camping in FPS games, yes, it's legitimate. It's a strategy. If you don't like campers, out-smart them. Show you're better through superior tactics and improvised thinking, rather than playing the way you're used to.

Or is thinking not what these games are supposed to be about...

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
If you're camping in a way that helps your team achieve their goal, it's legitimate.

Sometimes, certain games like Counter-Strike become snorefests, as only campers are left and everyone is camping for extended periods of time. That's not the players' fault but a game design issue.

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
Depends on the game. Something like CoD or Counter-Strike, it's a pain in the ass because of how the maps are laid out and how the game plays. Now, Red Orchestra 2 or Battlefield? That's totally different. If the enemy team are streaming into the capture point through one route (and are too dumb to flank, smoke or use explosives), damn right I'm gonna set up with a machine gun and cut them to pieces.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
It can get annoying in super arcade-y arena shooters like CoD, CS, Halo and such. Still legitimate though. In shooters like BF or especially RO, "camping" is part of the experience since the whole point is to either attack or defend a series of objectives. Sometimes I will spend an entire round in RO2 prone in a bush covering one line of advance, because that is the purpose of a player on the defending team.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I've got nothing wrong with it. If someone is dumb enough to repeatedly walk into the crosshairs of the same camper, they're the idiot, not the camper. The camper is just capitalizing on that idiocy.

Most games offer you plenty of ways to deal with campers. Blow 'em up with rockets or grenades, blind or concuss them with special grenades, nail 'em with air support, flank them from a different direction, or just... y'know... avoid them, maybe? If there's an entrenched player who isn't moving, he's not going to be of any benefit to his team whatsoever if everyone just avoids him.

I often play as a sniper in games, and there are few things that make me smile more than the tears of crying close-range weapon users who repeatedly wander into my sights over and over again as if history weren't going to repeat itself, then complain about me camping. You're feeding me kills, dipshit. The more you do it, the less incentive I have to move. Maybe avoid places with long lines of sight? 'Cause your childish attempts to insult me aren't going to cause a lapse in judgment that makes me try to engage you at close range with my bolt-action rifle where you have an edge. No. They're just going to make me laugh at your frustration and complete lack of pattern recognition, as I drive another round into your thick skull.

I've been encountering this mentality a lot the past few weeks playing CoD:MW3 multiplayer TDM with a friend of mine from my World of WarCraft days. We both play as snipers who run more or less the same loadout:

Primary: L118A Bolt-Action /w Stability Proficiency & Heartbeat Sensor (Me) / AS50 Semi-Auto /w Attachments Proficiency, Heartbeat Senor, and Extended Magazines (Him)
Secondary: MP-9 Machine Pistol /w Extended Magazines (Me) / MP-9 Machine Pistol /w Suppressor (Him)
Lethal: Claymore Mine
Tactical: Portable Radar
Blue: Scavenger Pro
Red: Assassin Pro
Green: SitRep Pro
Death: Final Stand
Assault Package: Predator Missile / Attack Helicopter / Pavelow

With these setups we generally pick a large sector of the map (often about a third of the map) and lock it down. I'll cover one avenue of approach while he covers another, and we'll plant our Claymores to defend any additional approaches. We frequently rotate our firing positions to cover different approaches to keep the enemy team off-balance when entering our area. We use our Portable Radars, Heartbeat Sensors, and the bonus of SitRep Pro (amplifies the sound of enemy players' footsteps while muting the footsteps of allies) as early-warning systems so that we know where we're going to be attacked from in advance. We're on Vent talking to each other and relaying information about targets that we become aware of, or targets that we miss, or targets that have gotten through our defenses. If you manage to get into close range with us, we swap to the MP-9's (which are hilariously powerful at close/mid range for a sidearm) and rock'n'roll. If you manage to breach our line and kill one of us, you're probably going to be immediately sniped or jumped by the other from another direction. If you manage to actually kill both of us, we typically have alternate locations on each map that we hold down (usually they're the same fall-back locations that we move to if our original position is taking just a little bit too much heat). As we rack up the kills, we call in air support (Seriously... ALWAYS shoot down air support. We've had games where we get 20+ kills from air support alone because no one does anything about it).

Sometimes we even get a third player in on it. Typically he'll run with either an SMG or an Assault Rifle and either cover our flanks, or he'll try to bait people into entering our killzone. Either way he often runs with Sentry Turrets or IMS systems to further bolster the defenses.

We win nearly every game doing this, and nearly every one of those games ends with someone shouting "noob campers win." We laugh at these sore losers over Vent, recanting tales of killing them over and over as they attempted to run to the same spot from the same direction over and over, never once trying to counter us or avoid us.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Really does depend on the game. Fast paced arcade style games it is an annoying strategy but in a more drawn out tactical game it is usually okay, especially in a game of larger scope where you have more than just a gun to take them down. Battlefield and it's mods are a good example of this. You have vehicles and heavier firepower to take down a team camping somewhere.

One thing that does irk me is when it is an attack and defend style game, and defenders are constantly called out on camping. Yeah... We're really just gonna run around and leave the defence point totally undefended. >_>

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
How else am I supposed to get trough long dungeons in Darkest Dungeon?

DSK-

May 13, 2010
It's a legit tactic. In some games, you and your entire team are forced to camp (I'm looking at you, Shittlefield 3 TDM), because you spawn on opposite sides of the map and it's a battle of attrition. You can't charge because you'll be picked off by the enemy team, spamming grenades and 'tubes, and vice-versa. It's incredibly hard to push and and make a dent, or even switch the spawns which then starts everything all over again. Not all maps had that problem, there was one I remember which was good.

Camping is an annoying tactic, and it is largely frowned upon, but it is not "cheating" or game-breaking.

It's also worth noting that other tactics like patrolling a certain area because it has a great deal of through-traffic or is important for defending/attacking an objective, can be misconstrued by the layman as camping. Furthermore, modern FPS game map design has implemented an annoying amount of small corridor areas and pathways that need to be defended and thus camped in order to play effectively.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
DSK- said:
It's also worth noting that other tactics like patrolling a certain area because it has a great deal of through-traffic or is important for defending/attacking an objective, can be misconstrued by the layman as camping.
That is camping, it's the heart and soul of shooters. There's good camping and bad camping. The whole goal of pretty much any shooter is to get to a key point before the other team/player (or take it from them) and then camp the shit out of it; the whole game is about trying to takeover/defend already occupied area, the team that controls it can camp while the team that doesn't has to push and be aggressive to take the area; if the attacking team camps, it makes for a really boring match. And, that's what "bad" camping is basically, playing for kills and not the objective. Most players camp from the start of the match and lose because of it. Restricted spawn zones only cause more of this bad camping.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
No, its a legitimate strategy. They should be able to figure out where you are and how to get to you or avoid you if you're sticking to one area anyway. Finding a good spot and watching over an important area seems to be the point of a sniper class.
It's only a bit of an issue if you are doing it in such away that it makes your k/d ratio look good but doesn't actually help your team that much and then you brag about your score.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I don't because it's boring and dull and because going in guns blazing and then getting murdered with 5 RPGs at the same time by real campers it much funner. God, I love incompetence!

It's ok in tournaments, because let's face it, if you're in a tournament you're not in it for fun. Two players stop to play with grenades and fuck around, you be all like "stahp having fun guys play the game how it should be played ner ner" or something. But in public games, everyone's just there to have fun and kill each other with grenades and trying to knife them in the air anyway - kind of like Montreal, or a sports bar.

So either way, it's fine. Doesn't make it any less boring or competent, though.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Phoenixmgs said:
DSK- said:
It's also worth noting that other tactics like patrolling a certain area because it has a great deal of through-traffic or is important for defending/attacking an objective, can be misconstrued by the layman as camping.
That is camping, it's the heart and soul of shooters. There's good camping and bad camping. The whole goal of pretty much any shooter is to get to a key point before the other team/player (or take it from them) and then camp the shit out of it; the whole game is about trying to takeover/defend already occupied area, the team that controls it can camp while the team that doesn't has to push and be aggressive to take the area; if the attacking team camps, it makes for a really boring match. And, that's what "bad" camping is basically, playing for kills and not the objective. Most players camp from the start of the match and lose because of it. Restricted spawn zones only cause more of this bad camping.
I said patrol, as in moving more or less constantly in a certain area, let's say an entire side of a map. It is utterly stupid to charge around blindly, and far more effective and safe to do this with a defensive mindset and positionally, making other players do the work for you (because they are charging around, guns blazing).

In my case, I've always focused on having a positive net whilst playing the objective

But I digress. If you think that is the very definition of camping then that's fine, and admittedly it'd be better if I could give a video demonstration of what I'm talking about but I don't have one.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
It's a perfectly legitimate strategy in certain circumstances. That said, I haven't played an FPS in a competitive online environment since the days of Delta Force 2. There were quite a few times where I'd manage to get the sniper rifle, found a good vantage point, and just started attempting to kill every enemy that popped into my line of sight. There were also occasions where I would crawl around in the long grass on a map and stab anyone who happened to run through the grass and didn't see me.

I have so many good memories of that game.