Poll: Can I please say that I like the 3D Sonic games without being flamed?

richard99th

Apr 6, 2009
NO YOU CANNOT SAY THAT BBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUURRRRRNNNNNNNNNN. no seriously now if u like them fine i dont like sonic at all so it doesnt matter.

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
I liked Sonic Adventure, particularly the multiple perspectives and overlapping story sequences. It was truly one of a kind in the Sonic series, with nothing like it 'fore nor since.

After that, I could really take or leave it. Sonic Adventure 2 was a better 'game' (the graphics had more polish, the frame rate was higher, controls were slightly tweaked), but it was completely without the heart and soul of the first game. I also wasn't a big fan of Shadow; the whole 'evil twin' angle just felt like a white flag waved unceremoniously at Nintendo (Wario, anyone?).

Sonic Heroes was buggy and frenetic. I wish I had a nickel for every death caused simply falling off the level instead of at the hands of an enemy. Cheap deaths does not a great game make. Also, Sonic Adventure 2 may have had only a slightly interesting story (the origin of Shadow and his involvement with the military), but this is practically non-existent, as evidenced by the shoehorning of an expanded cast into the fray.

The current-gen console outings have only just proven that Sonic's gameplay doesn't really lend itself to 3D environments; exploration and speed don't really go hand in hand. If it's just speed, then the 3D is pointless, and when there's exploration the controls are insubstantial, equal to skiing on gravel or kayaking in sand.

And what the hell is with Amy not being in Sonic Unleashed? Sonic turns into a beast, but there's no beauty? The cutscene practically writes itself. Between King Kong and The Wolfman, there's plenty of source material to parody/homage.

I'm simply disappointed in Sonic. Sonic Adventure was ambitious and, in many ways, ahead of the curve when it came out. It absolutely shamed Mario 64 with its single playable character, by-the-numbers storyline, and truly pitiful audio. Blame technological shortcomings all you like, but count the years that elapsed between Sonic Adventure and Super Mario Sunshine. Yes, it took Nintendo THAT LONG to come up with a comparable game. Now though, I've just lost faith in the little blue blur.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Fruitloops89 said:
Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 were fun, just gotta mute the t.v. sometimes and wait for the cutscene to end.
^

This, this, this, yes, this. The dialogue is so terrible, so incredibly terrible, but it doesn't matter because the game feels alright. And many games have this predicament, so...It's alright.

And I actually sorta liked Sonic 3D blast when I was kid (Because that was back when a new game was "A NEW GAME OMG YOU GUYS YOU GUYS CHECK THIS OUT IT'S AWESOME EVEN THOUGH IT'S QUITE LACKLUSTER BUT I DIDN'T REALIZE THIS AT THE TIME"

cartooner2008

Dec 18, 2008
matsugawa said:
\And what the hell is with Amy not being in Sonic Unleashed?
Amy actually is in Unleashed.

Despite all of my defenses for 3D Sonic, I do think he should be put to rest.

cartooner2008

Dec 18, 2008
The last hing that I would like to say about Sonic is that to me, the reason why the Sonic isn't that good anymore isn't because of his jump to 3D, the new voices, etc., it's because Sega and Sonic Team don't seem to care that much anymore.

I will admit that they have been improving lately, but it's going to take Sega a long time to become as good as they used to be.

Nova Tendril

Apr 1, 2009
itsmeyouidiot said:
I seriously would just like people to stop saying that they hate the recent Sonic games so much. We can all agree that Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06 sucked, but just let me talk about the games that I like without any backlash, okay?

Plenty of other series have jumped the shark. Go complain about them, alright? Maybe stop complaining at all.

What do you say? Can we just agree to disagree?
None of the modern 3D sonic games have been good.

Sonic Unleashed sucked. Sonic 2006 sucked. Shadow the Hedgehog sucked. See the pattern?

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
You are taking the first step in learning the one of the greatest lessons of the internet young padawan. The opinions of others do not matter, so long as you don't let them affect you. Agreeing to disagree is the best solution, for trying to change the opinions of a large group of stubborn people who enjoy debating the merits of games shall prove to be impossible.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
itsmeyouidiot said:
I seriously would just like people to stop saying that they hate the recent Sonic games so much. We can all agree that Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06 sucked, but just let me talk about the games that I like without any backlash, okay?
well go on then...That is to say, my response to your comments will be based on your comments, given mine will still convey that I hate the large majority of the sonic 3D games. Example: If you say the shadow the hedgehog combat was smooth and intuitive, I will counter by saying that they tried to combine guns and high speed movement, which made aiming practically impossible.
Plenty of other series have jumped the shark. Go complain about them, alright? Maybe stop complaining at all.
I have every right to complain about a game I wasted $50 on. Also, I cannot physically think of a series that has 'jumped the shark' more than sonic. Hell, even Mario puts out a good game every now and again.
We can agree to disagree when it comes to the quality of the sonic games. However, I will never stifle my tongue or text because someone else wants me to not voice the opinion that all recent sonic games have sucked terribly and that the sonic team shows no signs of changing its ways(Sonic and the Black Knight...really?). If you like something that is unpopular you are going to have to deal with people voicing their opinions regarding the subject. If you believe they haven't played the game you are arguing over, call them out on it, but don't tell them to basically, 'Just stop talking'.

Example: I like Lair, that's right, the dragon riding game on the ps3. However, everyone I know hates it. So I have to be prepared for people to tell me it sucks when I feel it necessary to say I enjoyed it. I will not simply ask them to stop speaking negatively about the game, because they have a right to an opinion(even if it isn't theirs). I will fight them over the quality of the game and will challenge them to tell me one real reason it was bad; a reason, preferably, that they found after adjusting to the game.

MercFox1

Jun 19, 2008
I was hoping Sonic Heroes wouldn't suck, but I never got past the power plant part. It just...didn't feel like a Sonic game, and I played the mess out of Sonic 3 and Knuckles (even got them for the PC!)

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
The only Sonic game that was 3D that I didn't mind was that one on the Dreamcast.

AlexTheBucket2112

Mar 26, 2009
once they started adding all the different characters it got kinda lame in my opinion (especially when half of the time I can't even play as sonic). But if you like them thats cool too. Its all just preference.

Sanaj

Mar 20, 2009
AlexTheBucket2112 said:
once they started adding all the different characters it got kinda lame in my opinion (especially when half of the time I can't even play as sonic). But if you like them thats cool too. Its all just preference.
Yeah, the inclusion of too many additional characters undermines the original concept behind Sonic games.
(Or by that time the games just weren't very good / were terrible.)

"...most people want Sonic games to be about Sonic and his ever expanding entourage of neon woodland creatures can all dive under a tractor."
Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw - Zero Punctuation: Sonic Unleashed

The Sonic games that I like are Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles.
I haven't found a 3D Sonic game that I like...the worst ones that stand out in memory are
Sonic 3D Blast(just generally terrible) and Shadow the Hedgehog. (Hitting the things you shot at was difficult and boss battles were beyond frustrating.)

itsmeyouidiot you are free to have your own opinions about your games you like and express them.
However, asking others not to say they didn't like the 3D Sonic games is unreasonable.
Everyone should be able to express their opinions about what games they like or didn't like.
These people expressing their opinions should try and remain calm and civil about it though.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
Your opinions are your own and I don't really think this thread makes any sense if you the original poster have ever posted comments opposing someone elses opinion

PS. Use your search bar next time you want to make a new thread. This exact topic has already been done.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
I liked sonic heroes and the daytime sonic missions of sonic unleashed were really fun, though I absolutely hated the werehog missions.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
itsmeyouidiot said:

Are you saying we should stop having opinions and expressing them too?
Aren't you just expressing an opinion by saying you like the games. Thus it seems a bit hypocritical for you to tell us to stop complaining and then expect us to let you proclaim your love from the rooftops while telling us to bash other (in your opinion) bad series'.

I really don't care about Sonic games, 3D or otherwise, so why wasn't that an option on the poll?
The way you have set it out our only options are:
1. Hate you openly for your opinions.
2. Adminster spite in easy to swallow mouthfulls.
3. Spite you without words (fear the wrath of the patient man).
4. Go into denial of Fanboyism by saying I only like some of the games.