Poll: Can someone please explain why Pong is good.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
People talk about Crysis having harsh system requirements, but Pong has it beat. Let's face it - noone had a home pc capable of running that game back then.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
are you kidding!?!?! pong had fucking amazing graphics! and the story was sublime!!!

EvilestDeath

Nov 4, 2009
Glass Joe the Champ said:
Hey guys, I just saw a thread wondering why Half Life is good, and I've got a similar problem. Game webites always talk about how Pong was so "important" and "revolutionary" to gaming so I found it online to play, and it's such crap.

The graphics are pathetic, there's practically no story, it's too slow paced, the sound effects are minimal, and there's only one game mode that never changes. Can someone explain what's so great about it? Is it just me, or is Pong is a little overrated by its nostalgic fanboys?

[/totally not doing a straw-man argument here]

Series Pong
Platform(s) Arcade
Release date(s) 1972
Pong was the first game developed by Atari Inc., founded in June 1972 by Nolan Bushnell and Ted Dabney
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pong

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Glass Joe the Champ said:
Hey guys, I just saw a thread wondering why Half Life is good, and I've got a similar problem. Game webites always talk about how Pong was so "important" and "revolutionary" to gaming so I found it online to play, and it's such crap.

The graphics are pathetic, there's practically no story, it's too slow paced, the sound effects are minimal, and there's only one game mode that never changes. Can someone explain what's so great about it? Is it just me, or is Pong is a little overrated by its nostalgic fanboys?

[/totally not doing a straw-man argument here]
This is what we call a refuge in audacity. Now, let's count the number of people who missed that so far...

thelastmccabe

Jun 23, 2011
I disagree. I really enjoyed the story in pong. Especially the big plot twist where you find out
that your little bar is actually a CLONE of the other little bar.
OH MAN!! That was like "Would you Kindly" x 10.

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
666Chaos said:
You know it would be really nice if the escapist had some better trolls as this one is just pathetic.
I know! But you know what's even worse than that? Some people on the forums don't know how sarcasm works!

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
666Chaos said:
You know it would be really nice if the escapist had some better trolls as this one is just pathetic.
Indeed. Seriously... *rolls eyes a whole bunch*

ScarBrow07

Sep 26, 2008
I love the bit in that game when you find out that your character was Revan. Your memory was just wiped by the jedi. It is so good.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
I think that Pong would be so much better if the re-made it for 360, PS3, and PC.
Think about it, Pong in HD!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
You have to read in it. Pong is a metaphor for the afterlife. The left paddle represents the devil and the right paddle represents God. The ball? A human soul. It signifies the endless cycle of sinning and repenting going back and forth between God and Satan. Can you redeem your soul by ascending into heaven, or will you be cast into the firey pits of hell?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
omega_peaches said:
I think that Pong would be so much better if the re-made it for 360, PS3, and PC.
Think about it, Pong in HD!
There was actually a new pong in 1999. Believe it or not, it was pretty good.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
This isn't trolling, this is satire. God damn, that term is almost as overused as racism. Anyway, I thought it was a good job. I'm quite sick of these kinds of threads, and besides, most are about Half-Life. If those people would just use the search bar they'd get the same responses.

SFMB

May 13, 2009
Pong is good on the same argument that The Beatles was good. Pong was the ONLY videogame on the planet that time. The Beatles was the ONLY rockband on the planet that time. If there had been something else, but similar, they wouldn't have made such impact on history.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
I totally agree with you. The game has hardly any controls, one game mode and the graphics are terrible. A few white lines and a white square. What's the big deal? E.T was a more revolutionary game than Pong.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Sober Thal said:
Where is line drawn between humor, trolling, and flame bait?

The only attempt at humor I find here was the part: 'practically no story'. I giggled there.

Other than that, I wouldn't be surprised if the post was sincere. Or at least the thoughts of an entire generation or two.
No, he reeeaaally isn't serious at all. This post is in the same tradition of the Spinal Tap documentary for a band that doesn't really exist. It looks dead serious, but it's clearly not.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Pong was awesome.

It gave you a multiplayer adrenaline rush. People talk about all this "twitch" skill bollocks fos the like of Counter Strike and Call of Duty but it was nothing compared to the reflex action you needed for pong.

There was nothing like the thrill of beating your friend at Pong and then mocking him on a toilet cubicle door (we had no internet) Those famous Pong insults found in toilets all over the UK. People writing "my pulsing stick whacked his balls away" in the manliest way possible.

Pong for multiplayer game of the century.

Joking aside.

There was a time I did used to love Pong. It shows you how much gaming has progressed you can even get Pong in colour now.