Poll: Can you attack yourself?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Here is the hypothetical scenario:
You are tasked with saving the world[footnote]or destroying it, if that's more how you roll. Or if neither - you're on an Important Mission? of some other description that suits you[/footnote] by...something. The trouble is you don't remember much what happened - there were some lights, the talk about your mission, a cow (for whatever reason) and the words "Go now! Hurry!" The things you know are that your mission is very important, that the journey took its toll (seeing how you don't remember everything) and that you need money. You need money, like really fast, otherwise the whole world is doomed (or saved...or whatever fails your mission).

You appear in a dark alley near where you usually live/commute/study/work/hang around[footnote]no dark alleys around where you live? Well, TOUGH LUCK, you don't get to avoid the scenario - you, for some reason, jump from a roof, or crawl out of the sewers, or failing that, you arrive riding a bear, jump off and the bear speeds off into the distance leaving you in mild confusion to where the bear came from or why[/footnote] and...you walks by. Oh right - you...something something - you can't quite recall but there was maybe timetravel involved? Or alternative dimensions? Or aliens? At any rate - you know that's you. Somehow. You know you have money (well, not you as you need them not but your other you that's in front). So you realize you have only one course of action - try to mug yourself. Also, you get a weird sense of déjà vu

You jump in front of yourself and say "Come on, give me the money, or things will get messy!". This gives them a pause and you can visually confirm it - it's yourself. You (he? she? ...it?) wears the same clothes and otherwise both of you look quite similar. As far as you can tell, they also act the same way (body language, posture, etc). Although, the other you seems to have less of a beard (yes, have a bit more for some reason even if you're a girl!). It's like you've already done this

The guy girl person? yourself isn't armed. Unless you normally carry a weapon, in which case, you and your other yourself have that weapon (hopefully not brandishing it openly while just walking down the street). You are a bit nervous but utter "Give. Me. The. Money!" one more time with low but stern tone. The other person there doesn't move but you know the time is ticking...and there isn't anybody else you can get money from in a reasonable time.

Apparently they won't cooperate (or are just too shocked to do so) - desperate times call for desperate measures - maybe you'll actually need to attack...yourself. For the money. You start going but still have to cross a bit of space, though, and one final thought occurs to you - "Wait, can I attack myself?" Or defeat myself...ya know

Well? Feel free to elaborate how things will go down.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
I think I already did. I'm not sure. Having been mugged by a future version of myself sure would explain my current poverty and general disarray.

Knowing that I'm a reasonable guy, I tell myself 'I'm you from the future, no time to explain, you need to give me your money or something terrible will happen!'. Then after he gives it to me, shrugs and walks off, I realise that something must have happened to make my memory so hazy, so I clock him on the back of the head. It's the only way to prevent a paradox.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
I was mugged twice in my life and I sure as hell not going to let that happen again, even if I'm mugger myself. I'll try to talk to myself and explain things, but if it'll come to the fight... It won't be pleasant a bit.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Thread of the day.

I'd say "YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE I'M ME, AND I NEED YOUR MONEY!" I'd give it to me.

If I didn't give it to me for whatever reason, I'd go for the money manually. I wouldn't have to beat me up, I'd be too confused by me taking my money to properly retaliate against me.

So no... I couldn't attack me. Thankfully, I wouldn't have to.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Technically can I just talked my doppelganger into given in the money since the real me who never attack first therefore I would not make the first move to mugged my doppelganger (especially when I am more willing to hand over my money)?

Before you say I don't have the time to explain, I WILL make time to explain. Also no I am NOT that desperate to mugged/ attack unless I was in a unstable mental state of mind.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Well, since I know how myself fight, And myself knows how I fight. This is gonna take a while.

yea imma go with the thinking confuses me option. No, not the one in the poll. Literally, this confuses me a bit.

Can't i just ask nicely? "Oi me, its future you, i need some cash. Quick!"

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I would tell him I'm from the future and make up some excuse for the money. If he says the same, I will assume he's joking. Then I will suggest we look for two other mes and make a real life Four Swords crew.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
This wouldn't really apply to me because I don't have money to hand over in the first place. xP

Fine. Pretty sure I'd aim for knocking myself out. Wouldn't be easy though but that cow was convincing!

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Well I am confident I can defeat myself but considering that I tend to resort to headbutting when I fight there is a chance we may knock each other out, alternatively I'll grab a pipe and hit other me with it, I know from experience that knocks me out as for the pain, though that probably means other me only has money because he mugged me and I'm stuck in a time paradox that I keep forgetting due to the concussion.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I suppose my other self would look perplexed at the bear I rode in on (most plausible scenario for where I live- seriously), and say "You should know I never carry hard currency, if you're me. You can have my debit card, though... you should know the PIN, but you also know I'm just going to cancel it."

...guess I'd fail the mission. No chance for success in the first place.

Most other objectives and we'd wind up shooting each other (ourselves?) with identical subcompact .45s.

Koshok

Jan 22, 2011
I could definitely take me in a fight. See, I have the advantage in that I have never been in a fight. So, I don't know how I fight, so I wouldn't know what to expect when fighting me. Therefore, I would win the fight for sure. Also, I have a weapon. Then again, I also sometimes carry a knife. I think I could beat me.

DeadRise17

Feb 23, 2013
I'm pretty sure past/present/future Me would give myself their money because I have difficulties remembering what I look like. Past/Present/Future Me would think they're being mugged by a short, fat, white guy.

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
At first I was expecting to come into this thread and be horrified by tasteless suicide jokes. Maybe I'm just pessimistic.
"Wait, does me attacking...myself count as assault or self-harm?"
Well I wasn't entirely off was I? Do I get a point for that?

OT: Erm, I dunno honestly. I'd try probably, but I don't think it'd go anywhere quick. Both of us would end up cowering in fear at each other. Quite comical if you ask me.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
I'd never get in a fight with myself because I'm too much of a pussy and I know I'd lose. But I know I'd give myself money if I needed it so I'd just ask myself nicely.

Thread of the day.
Oh, and this.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I will not hesitate to sexually assault myself and initiate some sexy action on the streets. They will be talking for years about our erotic battle. Fuck!!! THE MISSION!

That's right, fuck the mission.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
I would know better than to attempt to fight myself - once I start attacking my other self, then they're engaged in self-defence, with a clear motivation (instinctive self-defence). They will be much more efficient at combat than my displaced self, who will have a murky motivation (getting money from my some-sort-of-other self, for no clear reason, via a FAILED MUGGING of all things - not diplomacy, or theft, or a sneak attack, any of which might well succeed.) My alternate self would go into no-holds-barred mode and win quickly.

At that point, fighting myself is monumentally stupid, both from the practical points as detailed above, and because despite the apparent thoughts and motivations I'll have, they make so little sense that for me to take confused, rash, violent, unilateral action is more than likely a mistake.

So yeah, no fighting for me.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i am one of the worlds biggest cowards so i/she would leg it as soon as she/i jumps out at me/her though i am a bit unpredictable and have jumped at and attacked surprises before so its a toss up between the mark running away and me getting surprised by my own actions and being defeated by a preemptive counter attack
and since i trust no one not even myself and i have no idea who this second me is i would not be handing over any cash even if i/she asked nicely
so in the end the world is going to be saved/lost and the important mission failed

but damn this was a confusing thread i think i got it all straight

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I'm a fucking weakling so whichever way it goes it's not going to be at all impressive. I'm hoping that I'd be able to use the element of surprise to my advantage, however.

I might try the "Gimme the money!" "No." "Oh, ok then. Goodbye. You've doomed us all, though." route; then, when the other me is wondering off all perplexed-like and not realising I'm following me rather than have left me alone, jump me.