Poll: Can you multi-task?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I was repairing a bench swing and cooking while doing part of my badge hunting. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/elshaddai/leaderboard] >.>

I don't like doing just one thing unless I have the chance to have a serene, almost spiritual moment with the task.

Sir Boss

Mar 24, 2011
Well, yesterday I was Playing New Vegas, Listening to some Tim Minchin, and watching House MD, when i should have been revising physics. How's that?

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I can't even walk and talk so no, I can't even study while listening to music and even single tasking is difficult to me since every sound annoys me when I'm trying to do something.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Jesus christ, no, I can barely fucking do one thing at a time.

The easiest way to make sure I get nothing done is to set me doing two things at once.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
Depends on what I'm doing, but assuming optimal conditions, yes I can.

And I am a man, since that apparently matters.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I suck at multitasking. I concentrate all my energy on one thing. If I try to divide my attention, one thing goes ignored while I concentrate on something else. Just how I am.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Well it depends really. I am a male and I am quite adept at technological multitasking such as juggling multiple programs and such.

It helps that I basically had a keyboard and mouse in the crib, and It pushed me into eventually falling into EMS dispatch which can be arguably the apex of multitasking.

However referencing dispatch I would note that from my experience dispatch tends to be overpopulated with females and honestly they on average seem to gravitate to it better than men.

Granted its not empirical evidence, Just an observation of experience.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
Dimitriov said:
Define multitasking. Various studies show that the human brain is not capable of true multitasking, only of performing a number of different functions in rapid succession and constantly switching back and forth between them. There is also solid evidence that this greatly reduces the quality of focus/learning/listening/work or whatever is being done.

I voted no as I believe in trying, as much as possible, to do only one thing well at a time... at least in terms of work :p

I do watch movies or tv shows while playing games and web browsing.
That sounds quite improbable. I haven't read any studies for or against what you're saying, so it's just my educated guess, but I've always thought that the main draw of artificial neural networks (as found naturally in the brain) was the ability of true multitasking instead of just multithreading. Of course people can't really multitask with things that both require the same sense organs or extremities, like reading a book while driving a car.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Don't forget to account for the fact that men aren't likely to actually admit to sucking at multi-tasking... Those that do might even honestly believe they don't.

As a man, yes I can multi-task. :p

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Hell yes I can multitask.

If I'm not having 2 conversations while typing I refer to it as a quiet day.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Nope, I definitely can't multitask.

I'm a bit too capable of blocking out anything which does not matter to the task at hand.

Halceon said:
That sounds quite improbable. I haven't read any studies for or against what you're saying, so it's just my educated guess, but I've always thought that the main draw of artificial neural networks (as found naturally in the brain) was the ability of true multitasking instead of just multithreading. Of course people can't really multitask with things that both require the same sense organs or extremities, like reading a book while driving a car.
It's quite true.

Rubinstein, Joshua S.; Meyer, David E.; Evans, Jeffrey E. (2001). Executive Control of Cognitive Processes in Task Switching. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 27(4), 763-797.

Rogers, R. & Monsell, S. (1995). The costs of a predictable switch between simple cognitive tasks. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 124, 207-231.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Yup, I can. For instance, at work near closing time I sometimes scan products with one hand, clean the packing surface with the other all while chatting with the customer.

My co-workers were also 'amazed' that I was able to listen to the radio, read something and pay attention to the conversation all at the same time.

Tibike77

Mar 20, 2008
@OP question : depends what you mean.

If you mean, "do two or more things at the same time almost as well as doing each of those individual things alone", then most likely NO.
And I doubt anybody could unless any of those things only required a fraction of the maximum possible concentration to begin with.

If you mean, "do two or more things at the same time, with a radically decreased efficiency, but still adequately", then YES.

If you mean, "do two or more things at the same time, with a radically decreased efficiency, but still adequately AND take about as much time to do everything as it would have taken to do each individually in sequence", then possibly, depending on whether any of them involved dead times or not.

Oh, by the way, people that heavily multitask get WORSE at multitasking efficiency the more they multitask.
It's probably the only thing people get less proficient at with practice.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I don't think I can, but whatever task I am doing I focus on 100% until it's completed to the best it can be.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Of course I can.

I can scratch my balls, drink a beer and watch tv ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Rawne1980 said:
Of course I can.

I can scratch my balls, drink a beer and watch tv ALL AT THE SAME TIME.
Spoken like a true football fan...(!)

OT: Yes, considering I typically run two sets of experiments, have to work at at least two computers (heaven only knows why) and need to listen to music/be on Esc to keep myself sane...