Poll: Can You Still Enjoy Classic Games Despite The Advancements Of Modern Games?

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
...Advances? Modern advances? As in, more than just graphics? Well, okay, I suppose there has been a (very hit-or-miss) general improvement in sound quality, and no one who tried online gaming in the 80's or 90's would dispute improvements in netcode. And modding is probably a lot easier now. But other than that...
System Shock 2 vs Bioshock?
Alpha Centauri vs Beyond Earth?
Fallout 2 vs Fallout 3?
Thief: The Dark Project vs Thief: SCC?
Civ 4 vs Civ 5?
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think stripping out a game's depth and complexity and prettying it up constitute "advances".

Let's look at a more recent example: X-Com vs XCOM. Only a dyed-in-the-wool hardliner who followed Enemy Unknown's development (and played the game) would claim it was a cynical cash-in on the name. It was, very clearly, a labor of love from someone who deeply enjoyed the original game and wanted to bring it to modern audiences. But the update cost us the tactical depth afforded by time units, twice the number of stats, actual ammo management (including relay tossing ammo to your one rocketeer), different types of ammunition for the same weapon, a sufficiently wide range of weapon and armor values that you could send in low psi-strength troops, confident that your autocannons couldn't hurt their friends in flying suits even if they got mind-controlled, different armor strengths at different locations (a grenade rolled at someone's feet isn't going to damage their head, after all), armor ablation (focus enough laser rifle fire on a chryssalid, and that front armor WILL evaporate), and general equipment management (I once had to defend a base with nothing but boatloads of ammunition, smoke grenades and stun rods). And that doesn't apply only to your side, either- it's darned hard to be scared of a chyrssalid that can only kill one member of your squad per turn.

This is not to say that UFO Defense was perfect; the interface could've done with an update, to be certain, the bugs (though easily enough avoidable) were a constant nuisance until you learned them, the 80-item limit (what, you think I left a base undefended save for smoke grenades and stun rods on purpose?) was long out-of-date, and much of the balance was hilariously bad (did anyone ever make much use of heavy lasers?). But as far as I (and many others) am concerned, too many babies were thrown out with the bathwater.

In summary: given that much of modern design seems to stem from the idea that a game that requires reading a manual to play isn't worth making, I'm closer to saying that modern games are no longer enjoyable.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The fact that Mario games keep selling like hotcakes despite the overall design being nearly identical to its 20+ year old predecessors should be all the proof you need, honestly. What makes an enjoyable game is purely subjective and I don't know why age would really be much of factor. If you can't handle older graphics (assuming it doesn't look like pixel vomit) then I don't know what to tell you. You're missing out on a lot of amazing games.

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
Just personally, I've always felt like there was a period between maybe (this is just a rough guess) 1998 and 2006, the PS1 era maybe, where those games were technically advanced enough to try a lot of new things but just not able to really capture it, and I find it really hard to go back. I'd much rather play an early PC or SNES game than a lot of the middle period stuff you saw on PS1 and early PS2/Xbox.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Yes. Plenty of the games I spend the most time on nowadays are pretty old. The only one that time really ruined for me was Morrowind.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
I cannot reply to this poll - good older games are not dated, often their graphics and sometimes controls are.

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
Just because a game is older doesn't mean it's dated, this poll has some serious bullshit going on.

Also yes, "older" games are better because new games are terrible

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Go play Homeworld: Cataclysm again and tell me that "At least the Beast doesn't pretend to be righteous!" has no effect on you. Years marching on that game is still brilliant.

Medieval Total War 2 is a way of looking at the recent Total War games and thinking "This was the Golden Age, guys. Give us more of this with modern polish, not this piecemeal DLC, bloated engine rubbish."

What happened to the Unreal Tournaments and Quake IIIs? They used to dominate the scene... now we're stuck with this frigging MOBA monsoon. Where the meta is so vast and the roster is so large it's alienating.

There are some games where a remake is well overdue - the Ultima Underworld series now has one and we really need to scratch that itch again. Sure, there are all the survival games out there but none with that linear-yet-open feel to them.

There is a lot we can learn from old games and bring to the table once more. There are things that old games did that modern games don't. Sure, modern games remove the grind often and give the player far better control and fidelity, but the content feels watered down so often - mostly due to the whole porting issue.

Moving away from graphics and focusing on more open mechanics, that's the ticket. Graphics can only be pushed so far and the wow factor only lasts the first playthrough.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
For the most part I enjoy older games. Super Metroid is a game I have no nostalgia for and I rank it among my favourite games of all time. Some games have issues due to technical/hardware limitations, but usually only thing that will stop me playing an old game is a bad control scheme.

I guess how old also is a factor. Most pre-NES games I've played are way too simplistic to hold my attention for very long.

But as I've always said: you can't argue with good game design. Actually I've never said that. But I'm saying it now.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Yes.
It can be hard graphically sometimes, especially on a HD screen, but if I can enjoy it, it's fine. I played the original Prince of Persia recently on my computer monitor, which is a 42" 1080p screen and I was happy. Then again, I had to use DOSBOX and ran it in a window.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Lol, I'll take it one step further. Older games are several times BETTER than modern games.

Most of my favorite games are old, their flagship being Megaman X (1993), the greatest game ever made.

It's pixel graphics are beautiful to this day, it has the tightest controls ever designed, and its longer than the average fps campaign.

It was an upgrade to the original series in every way, unlike modern sequels, where developers just take things out (I'm looking at you Battlefrontfield)

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Pfffffft! Every time I hear about how games now have advanced in every possible way it makes me sick, and pushes gaming back a notch. It was even hard answering this poll.

What the hell is dated anyway? I prefer playing a lot more older games because the design is far more interesting, more well thought out, and suits the game play even more while taking more advantage of the mechanics. Even realistic games now start to become boring to look while the original simplistic styles with better colour arrangements are visually more appealing.

Even in the times of little space and lack of colour choices, Super Metroid managed to be one of the most stylish games ever, getting that perfect mix of lively coloured scenery while keeping a cold dark feel to it all. It adds so much more to the atmosphere than any of these so called advanced games graphics ever has.

Half Life might look dated, but the fact that almost every new room provides a different challenge and different view is far more advanced than any level design I've seen in any other game. These old classics also knew how to capture the lighting and mood a lot better than any new games as well, and do I even need to mention the soundtracks?

Can those people understand that simpler doesn't mean crappier? More detailed or realistic doesn't automatically become interesting, and what about the subject itself? Sometimes I see paintings that are amazingly well done but look boring because it's just of something basic, while other times I'll see unfinished work that I absolutely love since the subject is something unique.

Then you have the story nuts saying it has improved greatly from the SNES times because now we have more choice or the story's have become more serious. They usually bring up Mass Effect, who's game play and design is truly average, and even it's main focuses like the characters feel monotone. Or The Walking Dead, which neither was challenging or even has likable characters, and it looks butt ugly.

Frankly, I'm more amazed just how bland so many new award winning games are. Also any game that throws in QTE's is automatically backwards in my book.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
Games like Zelda: Ocarina of Time, however, are harder ones to keep playing - Its still a fantastic game, but the controls don't hold up, and that holds it back.
Yeah, a lot of people say that, but I don't know what they mean other than the faster rolling.

I played it recently, and not only did it take me a few minutes to adjust to, but it gave many strategic possibilities while nothing hindered me.

If you don't mind, what do you find dated about it?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I can rarely bring myself to play older games. Anything before, ohhh... 2004 may as well not exist to me.

They look like shit, they often control like shit, their interfaces are shit and if they even have a story then it's usually shit.

Yes, there's a few classics that are still fun, games that were the best on offer back in their day. But they're few and far between and often in genres that don't interest me.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
I grew up with the Gamecube. While I still like a lot of Gamecube games, there are a lot of GCN games that look dated and annoying to play, and I just can't find interest in anything older than the Gamecube.

As Zhukov said, most of them are visually unappealing to me and control terribly. To put it bluntly, I have no nostalgia for the console generations older than the one i grew up with.

As a fan of Let's Players, i can't even stand to watch NES/SNES games most of the time because they just look so boring. N64 games at least had some visual creativity to them with a new 3D world to mess with, but gameplay is still lacking comparatively to modern games.

Salsajoe

Dec 18, 2012
Poll is opposite of title.

on topic, I still play Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge at times, it had this awesome feeling to it which newer strategy games don't quite capture. The AI could use some ramping up of difficulty I guess.
Even though it isn't difficult it actualy simulates having an economy, and will sell buildings if you hit their miners hard enough, unlike in Total War where the enemy can sustain any amount of troops regardless of their supposed realistic income.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
I love the original DOOM to death and I was born the same year. While the controls can be an issue (for instance, I always reconfigure the controls in old FPS games so they are more modern and intuitive), mechanics don't bother me much, graphics even less so (though I do prefer to give them a boost wherever I can).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It depend on your viewpoint-

Example= My bro is pretty much a graphic whore as he couldn't played KOTOR cos of how "outdated" the graphie are and admit he only bought FF13 cos of how pretty the graphic are.

As for me, I can still get into it but I can still be put off from it but it is usually not the game flaw. Example I asked my bro to get me Chrono Trigger on the DS years ago and while I did progress into the game but I eventually gave up on it. I wouldn't say it was obsulate but I can get why it was praised during that time (the time travels affect the outcome of the game and earlier discussion impact the game too).

I will admit that I have been spoiled by the advantage of modern games cos I know for a fact I no longer have the paitence for the olds game due to lack of a save point and playing the game whole from start to finish in a single day.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I play old games, I play new games. Doesn't matter to me. A good game is a good game, regardless of release date.

Didn't vote though, 'cause both options are kinda insulting to older games; the first one's just more overt about it.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I play mostly old games now. Heck, I am playing Baldur's game 2 and Final Fantasy IX now. Guess my answer.

Although, as someone said before, it depends on a mechanical aspect of a game. I love older RPG's and FPS'es, but when I tried playing Alpha Centauri I got turned off by how unintuitive the UI was.