Poll: Can you understand me speaking english?

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Yeah, you've definitely got an accent but it isn't an obstacle. I've had University lecturers worse than that.
This. I've had lecturers who were much worse than the OP at speaking English. Overall you were very clear - you were perfectly understandable.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I can understand you just fine. You do indeed have a noticeable accent, but it was a fair bit more clear than many actual English accents I've heard, and this is from someone who has lived in the UK their entire life.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I think you have an accent but totally comprehensible.

i think many native english speakers have a much horrible accent.

gazumped

Dec 1, 2010
Yuuki said:
But then again, I sometimes have trouble understanding people with really strong British accents because some of them speak so freaking fast that all their vowels/consonants mush into each other lol. The later Harry Potter movies especially, half the shit the Weasley brothers say makes me go "bwuh?".
That's a good point, actually, I'm British and I have a hard time understanding some British accents. I'm from London so I'm used to various strong accents from Asia, Africa and the Caribbean and can usually understand them. But sometimes I listen to people from the midlands in England speak and I haven't got a clue what they're going on about. Partly the problem there is that it's not just the accent that's different but the use of slang and other terminology. But yeah, the accents of English people from the North sound as foreign to my Southern English ears as the OP's does.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Tenmar said:
No problems here understanding here. Just do what other people have said before. Take your time and speak slowly. People are always more understanding when you are speaking a language that is not native to you. So don't be afraid to mention that if you are having trouble communicating. Also remember sometimes asking the question if you don't know how to say a word is better than just guessing.
Ho boy, I've made that mistake before. Let's just say I'm glad that the people I was speaking to were able to have a good laugh about it while they told me what I said. Thank goodness the Japanese are such an understanding bunch.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
Very good.

I deal with foreign students at work quite often, and believe me, your English is just fine. The biggest problem when dealing with foreign students is that when people are insecure about their language ability, they tend to mumble, which makes them hard to understand, which makes them even more insecure. :/

You do have an accent, but it's clear and well enunciated. :)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I would not have thought English was your first language, but perfectly comprehensible. English is my second language too and I think I would place myself at about your level when I am not trying hard to imitate a specific accent.

NWJ94 said:
You got an accident, but no where near enough to actually interfere with communication, understood you perfectly.
Not sure accident is the word you're looking for here...

SkullKing84

Feb 10, 2011
More understandable then some people I know who can ONLY speak English. As others have already said, slow and clear is the way to go.

Verticals

Apr 11, 2013
I could understand you perfectly. Your speaking was clear, and also had a pleasant tone. You should be very proud, especially if you are mostly self-taught. Keep practicing and your skill will be quite admirable. =)

NWJ94

Feb 21, 2013
Yopaz said:
I would not have thought English was your first language, but perfectly comprehensible. English is my second language too and I think I would place myself at about your level when I am not trying hard to imitate a specific accent.

NWJ94 said:
You got an accident, but no where near enough to actually interfere with communication, understood you perfectly.
Hehe, probably shouldn't try and post while tired, I need to do a better job double checking the spell checker. Point in fact OP even a native speaker can butcher the language with ease.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
NWJ94 said:
Yopaz said:

NWJ94 said:
Hehe, probably shouldn't try and post while tired, I need to do a better job double checking the spell checker. Point in fact OP even a native speaker can butcher the language with ease.
Spell check can prove to be double edged so many times. I often make similar mistakes myself in both of the languages I speak. Now for a fun fact on this.

The prime minister of Norway I think was supposed to meet with an American ambassador but he got the flu (which is influensa in Norwegian) and a spokesperson announced the following: The prime minister can't speak today because he's got a bad influence.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I struggle to understand my Indian manager who has a total comprehension of the entire English language (and about 4 others) where as you were clear as day besides the accent.

Ioanin

Mar 14, 2013
Yopaz said:
NWJ94 said:
Yopaz said:

NWJ94 said:
Spell check can prove to be double edged so many times. I often make similar mistakes myself in both of the languages I speak. Now for a fun fact on this.

The prime minister of Norway I think was supposed to meet with an American ambassador but he got the flu (which is influensa in Norwegian) and a spokesperson announced the following: The prime minister can't speak today because he's got a bad influence.
There was a funny incident in romania where Bush came visiting, and at some point he said something like "We will be working together shoulder to shoulder" which is an expression, but in romanian shoulder is very similar to the word that means hip, so the translator said "working together hip to hip". Not as good as yours, but still :)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Alekks said:
Yopaz said:
NWJ94 said:
Yopaz said:

NWJ94 said:

There was a funny incident in romania where Bush came visiting, and at some point he said something like "We will be working together shoulder to shoulder" which is an expression, but in romanian shoulder is very similar to the word that means hip, so the translator said "working together hip to hip". Not as good as yours, but still :)
Well isn't that nice to hear? Language errors can certainly be hilarious at times. I've got 3 books of them somewhere with examples like the one I mentioned earlier.

Little2Raph

Aug 27, 2011
Your English is fine. And I wouldn't worry about the accent - I'm Australian but I used to tell my international student friends that no Australian speaks correct English anyway; the main thing is whether or not you are understandable. And I can understand you just fine.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Yuuki said:
As others have said you are fine, but you need to work on getting that "th" sound through more clearly because it is sounding identical to your "f" sound. So when you say "thought" it's sounding like "faught". Don't worry, you are not the only person because I've met TONS of people who can't make the "th" sound because their native language simply doesn't have that sound.
As an Englishman I know a lot of Brits who don't make the "th" sound. For years, my little brother couldn't even tell the difference.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'm absolutely TERRIBLE with accents.

TERRIBLE.

As in, if you speak with a hint of an ENGLISH accent, it makes me miss words you're saying...

...and you were perfectly easy to understand. Very much so.

It's a Romanian thing, I think. I know a few Romanians (including my math teacher), and I find their accents all perfectly manageable.