Poll: can you upgrade the graphics on a laptop?

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
Hi guys,

I'm in the UK and I need to buy a new laptop. I have just shy of £500 and I want to ensure that I can get one which can play Total War games. I've given up on looking for one which can run Rome 2, but the latest Fall of the Samurai game looks workable.

As such I've selected this laptop:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/asus-x550ca-xx229h-156-hd-led-glare-i5-3337u-shared-6g-750gb-dvd-dl-win-8-64b/576-1893.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=576-1893

Here's the question: Can I pull this laptop apart and install a new graphics card like you might do in a desktop? Or would that be too difficult/impossible?

I'm reasonably techno-competent, but I've never built/disassembled a pc or laptop before and I'm a bit nervous.

Absolutely any help would be greatly appreciated,

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I'm not an expert, but looking at that system I would say "no".

It doesn't have a discreet GPU, so you'd need to add one at a later date, and in premade laptops I wouldn't count on that being doable.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
Generally the GPU is part of the board and can't be replaced. There are exceptions but they are very few. If you're buying a laptop don't expect to be able to replace any more than the RAM and storage drive, if that.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
HotFezz8 said:
Here's the question: Can I pull this laptop apart and install a new graphics card like you might do in a desktop? Or would that be too difficult/impossible?
That model you linked doesn't have a graphics card, all it has is the on-die GPU that's part of the CPU... and despite Intel's claims, the HD4000 still isn't what you'd call a gaming GPU. You'll probably have to run most modern games at low-to-mid settings (at best) or you'll have a slide show instead of a game.

As the Snowy One said, laptops with upgradable GPU cards aren't common... Mostly Asus ROG G series, MSI Dragon GT series and the boutique rebadged Clevos. Not to mention that discrete GPU cards for laptops are priced at a premium and hard to get ahold of if you're not in the right circles.