Poll: Capital City of Earth

Goro

Oct 15, 2009
Country
Australia
Take an established, un-developed and relatively poor country, and turn it into the Earth capital. Like Tuvalu, or Trinidad and Tobago. If it's not underwater by then.

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
I would say London because I'm British, but speaking objectively I'd go for New York. I'm not sure why, it just seems right.

AtheistAndProud

Apr 25, 2010
Ankh-Morpork.
No matter which city we pick, SOME nation's going to be rather peeved about it, so why not pick a completely fictional city, so everybody gets a piece of the anger pie.

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
1) Why must there be a capital?
2) Who would make the decision? Everyone is bias!
3) The capital should represent the unity. Seeming as every city listed is extremely different from one another and has many different cultures, this kind of defeats the purpose.
4) The capital should be a new city. If this ever happens it will be in the far future, meaning that we could raise an island in the middle of the ocean and build a city on it.

Atticus89

Nov 8, 2010
I've thought about it and the way I've figured, the de facto capital building where the legislature of the government was to take place should be in a major city that is not serving as the capital of a nation, state/province, and should be a culturally, economically, and perhaps even spiritually diverse area. To my knowledge, the only city upon that list that qualifies would be New York since all of the other cities listed already serve as the capitals of their respective nations. Also, the UN is headquartered in New York City and it saves the time of constructing a new building.

However, I put "de facto" capital because it would be unwise and rather insane to have the entire government of a planet located in one area. Other international organizations would be converted to serve the needs of a planetary nation and would be headquartered in other major cities across the globe to better serve the needs of the global administration.

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
fat tony said:
Take an established, un-developed and relatively poor country, and turn it into the Earth capital. Like Tuvalu, or Trinidad and Tobago. If it's not underwater by then.
Pretty much this. I would probably have to say establishing a capital city/state/country somewhere in Africa would be pretty smart, as it would help development and stability of the continent, and sidestep the issue of nationalism with where it is located. As an American I would feel much more skeptical and a bit bitter if the capital was in Europe/Asia/Middle East, just like I'm sure the residents of those regions would feel if it was located in America. Africa would provide a nice middle ground, both figuratively and literally as it is located basically in the middle of the world, which might make it better than South America.

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
Dragon_of_red said:
I'll assume we get an entire country set up for the capital city. Like What Australia did for Canberra or Italy did for the Vatican. Make a country filled with pretty much the U.N. That's what they should do, its not what they will, its what they should though...
Yeah this is a good idea. Where do you think they would put it though? I'm thinking maybe in between Europe and Asia, as that's sort of "central", in a way.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
New York is the headquarters of the UN so if it is a peaceful merging it will probably be there.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
Hmm interesting. I assume it would be somewhere in UN territory. Maybe New York, considering the UN base is currently there.

Dragon_of_red said:
I'll assume we get an entire country set up for the capital city. Like What Australia did for Canberra
Sorry, what?

Canberra is not an entire country. It's the capital city of Australia and it's own territory (state), but it is by all means part of Australia. It's no different to Washington DC.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Tsaba said:
First thing that comes to mind on this is the UN HQ in NY, I mean shoot, why not start there since we already get everyone to come there, but, I hear Paris is nice this time of year.
My first thought was that the UN was already headquartered in New York as well.

But, knowing my Russo-obsession, I can see Russia conquering the world and the capital being Moscow.

Cat Cloud

Aug 12, 2010
If it should be anywhere, it should be in Whyoming. A place that well over half the planet can't point out on a map. But seriosly, I agree with a previous poster; the government and the officials should be hosted by various countries, with any country that can afford it to build a "world capitol" building for the members of the world gv't to meet at.

The bigger question would be what kind of government? Would we have a Parliment? Republic, or Democratic Republic or Dictatorship or other? Communist, Capitalist, Don't-Give-a-Rat's-Ass-ist? We would see world war seven before this all was decided.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
New Zealand :D but then we have even more Australians coming over here D:

No offence to any australian members of the escapist

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia! I think it could work well, what with us being out of the way. Plus we could use the tourists.