Poll: Catwomen: Femme Fatale.... really?

The Devils Guitar

Sep 15, 2008
So I'm watching all the new trailers to the new batman game (which looks epic) when it struck me about the new catwoman.

See, 20 years ago when the first Batman films came out Batman was a invincible action hero, the Joker was a comical creation in a fun suit and catwoman was a leather clad, big boobed woman who spoke only in sexual innuendos.

The new reboot of the franchise is now more real and psychological, batman is a tortured soul vowing to bring justice and struggling with the loss of his own personality in his creation while the joker is a genuinely psychopathic scary villain who truly deserves his name.

The same idea applies to the games. What was 20 years ago straightforward punchy action is now a game that incorporates inducing fear in enemies, tactical use of stealth and darkness, and a batman that is still a human who can be cut down quite easily. So why in the new game is catwoman a leather clad, big boobed woman who speaks only in sexual innuendos? Am I the only one that thinks this is just a bit lazy?

Ok, this can be something of a cliched question of action women being one dimensional (tomb raider, resident evil, wanted,) but every change that has been made to the batman series has improved it. So why not this?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Cause she's "Catwoman" rather than "Catman"? It's lazy, yeah, but it appeals to the audience.

Mind you, in Batman Returns, I thought she was quite good. She was OtT "sexy" because she was seriously messed up, which made sense in context...the sexual innuendo and all was just as much a symptom of that as randomly blowing things up.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Cause she's "Catwoman" rather than "Catman"? It's lazy, yeah, but it appeals to the audience.

Mind you, in Batman Returns, I thought she was quite good. She was OtT "sexy" because she was seriously messed up, which made sense in context...the sexual innuendo and all was just as much a symptom of that as randomly blowing things up.
I agree with both statements also if you read the comic thats just catwoman its not that shes two dimensional its just thats the sorta relationship she has with batman in particular

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
The Devils Guitar said:
...but every change that has been made to the batman series has improved it. So why not this?
Because a "Leather clad, big-boobed Woman who speaks only in sexual innuendos" will sell.

That and while there have been a lot of changes made to batman and his characters their basic premise is generally the same. Batman's a weirdo in a rubber suit with real emotional problems, Jokers a complete lunatic who simply wants to cause havoc and catwoman a hot chick in leather.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Well, we don't know how her character develops, but Arkham Asylum certainly didn't take the realist approach that Nolan's films have. They're dark, but they're much more comic book-y, so its probably easier to get away with. I also thought Batman was incredibly boring in Arkham Asylum (and his voice actor is crap - I don't care if he voices the cartoon, he's no good), so I didn't think he had developed much beyond all-American hero.

I see what you're getting at, but it still fits to me. Each villain/character is very much their own personality, rather than just playing it straight, so I don't see the issue.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
A lot depends on the writer of the comics at the time and what views they put into a character.

In some issues Catwoman is a self-serving pillager, in others she's just as much a hero as anyone & a welcome member of the Bat-Family.

And in Frank Miller's books she's a dominatrix.

Binerexis

Dec 11, 2009
Batman has always been near invincible, The Joker has always been hilariously fucked up and Catwoman has always been sexy. Why change a working formula?

Keldon888

Apr 25, 2009
Catwoman a kinda slutty thief who wears a leather suit. Joker is just a crazy dude with no taste in his humor. Riddler is a completely self centered psychopath. Batman is just a crazy rich little boy with murder issues.

I really don't see the problem that makes catwoman somehow not fit in.

And Woodsey, Batman is always a boring character, he's a normal dude with no powers that always wins and has a plan for everything. He's interesting because of the way his villains reflect himself and because of his interactions with them. Making you Batman really stops him from being interesting at all.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I always saw Catwoman as Errol Flynn in female form: A charming swashbuckling thief with a heart of gold.

As long as they stay with that character trait, it's fine by me.

Besides, she's "Catwoman". Having Catwoman without sensuality is like having the Joker without jokes... *looks at Heath Ledger*... Oh wait, that happend, didn't it? *sigh*

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Because it works in today's society. The old school Batman and Joker were stupid. They wouldn't last five minutes in a film today beyond nostalgia. Catwoman still fits, however.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Batman villains have always had a strong psychological element too them, catwomans schtick was always about self objectification and the experiences that might make someone like that, whilst it does give ample chance for base titilliation its also a fundamental aspect of the character- they could try and change it but theres where danger lurks.
I couldnt care less how they cater to the lowest denominator as long as she isnt just a set of boobs in a catsuit.

Stealthygamer

Apr 25, 2010
thaluikhain said:
It might not be that lazy though depending on how much of her backstory they put in

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Besides, she's "Catwoman". Having Catwoman without sensuality is like having the Joker without jokes... *looks at Heath Ledger*... Oh wait, that happend, didn't it? *sigh*
Where did that pencil go, again? :p

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
If I had catwomans figure and powers I'd act like that too.

Jodah said:
Because it works in today's society. The old school Batman and Joker were stupid. They wouldn't last five minutes in a film today beyond nostalgia. Catwoman still fits, however.
I have to agree with this man. The sexy thief thing is always gonna be cool.

Spacefrog

Apr 27, 2011
Wait, the Michelle Pfeiffer-catwoman is "big-boobed", boy you need to get out more. Sorry could not resist :p

I grew up with the movies and the 90s cartoon so catwoman never seemed all that well endowed compared to other comic heroines/villainesses.

Oh well back on topic:
Now, I have never tried the Arkham Asylum game but it seemed to me that it folloed the comics much closer than the Christopher Nolan films and the catwoman in the trailer fits the comic pretty good.

Just because the new movies did well does not mean it is the only way to do things, or even the best.

Even if we accept Christopher Nolans way as the only way, how does Catwoman not fit into this world? What maeks her Not "real and psychological"?

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Because everyone knows women are nothing more than sex objects.

of course that's sarcasm you stupid git

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
You realise that Arkham Asylum isn't an original take on Batman yeah?

You also realise that the joker has been like that in the comics for quite some time (although perphas not consistently).

Also, you do know that Lara Croft is an intelligent, well spoken, independantly wealthy, somewhat fearless, and yes large bosomed character yes?

Maybe she's not the one dementional character you think; maybe your own preconceptions are filtering what you perceive her to be.

EDIT: these two posts are congruent with my points.

Binerexis said:
Batman has always been near invincible, The Joker has always been hilariously fucked up and Catwoman has always been sexy. Why change a working formula?
&
Susan Arendt said:
When you say that Lara Croft is "one dimensional," do you mean in movies or in games?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I don't know...she seemed perfectly normal to me. In the trailer, she was never in any real danger because she freed herself with ease. And what, exactly, is wrong with a woman who looks good and knows it? Poison Ivy uses that as a weapon, so why can't Catwoman? Granted, she might want to zip up the front of her outfit a bit (easier to spot in darkness if she's showing that much skin) but who is she facing? Thugs who haven't seen a woman in probably years--or at least a sane woman. So of course she's going to act a little flirty. The men are going to be tripping over themselves and not see the literal knock-out coming.

And Lara being one dimensional? Um...not in my book. Maybe if you just looked at her and knew nothing about her, but then that says something more about your views on attractive women than anything.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
It might just be me, but I always figured Catwoman's penchant for double entendre bordering on single was a kind of defense mechanism, and a way to disarm the Bat. Dude does have some serious intimacy issues, after all.