Poll: Cel-Shading is ugly

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah no, Cel shading is not ugly (quite an unpopular opinion you got there especially when looking at the poll).
By all mean I don't want every single games to be cel shaded but none the less most cel shaded games look good (I don't like fps cel shaded game XIII for some reason).

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Uhh, what? I've been getting into more and more games that have gone cel-shaded or just more cartooney looking simply for the fact they don't look as nasty as the muted colors of a lot of games nowadays. Real life doesn't look that drab, why are you making your game like that?!? Also figure on giving a shout out to Valkyria Chronicles since I haven't seen that one mentioned yet.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Headsprouter said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
I like cel-shading in the case of Borderlands, TF2, Wind waker and Pokemon X and Y, but to me, Okami looks hideous. In that image, especially. Just ew. And also...probably just me.
Yeah, I've never really understood the love for Okami either. It just looks really cluttered to me, with no helpful way for your eye to pick out the foreground from the background.

But - as I think this entire thread highlights - different people like different visual styles.

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
i love cel shading in games, it makes it so much more colourful, more alive and brighter.
realistic graphics are always grey, more dull organically and doesnt really captivate the imagination. a realistic graphic'd cheerry tree is almost as beautiful as a real cherry tree, but a cel shaded cherry tree is more magical and brighter.

Sly Cooper 2 for the Ps2 vs Sky Cooper 3 for the PS3 they look the same! its amazing how cel shading ages so well!

also that picture of Okami in HD holy shit it looks beautiful! if only i could play it like that * dreamy sigh *

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
minimacker said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Also, due to the lighting techniques employed, Team Fortress 2 is technically cel-shaded:
If we're going to start using technicalities, we can just stop right here. If someone says cel-shading, you know what they mean. TF2 is not what they mean.
Well TF2 is one of the more explicit uses of cel-shading techniques without being directly outlined. Observe! (The bit about rim terms - the idea that the characters are always highlighted whether near a light source or not - specifically serves a cel-shaded style.)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I think it can be an awesome art style for a game or story. My personal favorite being The Mark of Kri. One of the most unsung games on the PS 2, had a Disney-esque look with cell shading, and it was awesome.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
i've always seen cell shading as an attempt to make a more artsy game, it looks to me like a heavily pastel colored image so personally i consider it the artist's rendition of the game there's nothing wrong with that it's just it will never win any awards for having the best graphics, which is fair as it's a simple process.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Souplex said:
Cel-shading not only looks nice, but it still looks nice ten years after each use.
"Realistic" graphics age terribly, and often don't look good in the first place.
Couldn't have said it any better myself.
I love cel-shaded games like Wind Waker, Okami, and Sly Cooper as it really still manages to look good even after the game has been out for years. Realistic graphics age very poorly when compared to cel-shaded games.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I really don't mind cel-shading when it's stylistically appropriate. It works for the Borderlands series because, honestly, any pretense of realism in that universe would be utterly preposterous. It's kind of hard to imagine the game having a gritty and realistic edge to it when you consider that one of its joke weapons does this:

<youtube=Vvuq9kmre8Q>

So, yeah. Realism? Non, merci.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I, uh - what? UGLY?

Don't tell me that doesn't look freaking gorgeous. I can practically smell that cherry blossom.

purplecactus

Jun 25, 2012
I quite like it, it's different to what I usually see, and I have to say I do think it's a pretty awesome way of going about the whole graphical element.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I consider cel-shading to be the best type of graphical artstyle used in the gaming industry.
By its very nature the look remains timeless and beautiful while easily portraying character emotion.

I certainly wouldn't want all games to be cel-shaded but I do feel that the style is underutilized.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Nope I don't think so.

The main game that comes to mind when I think cel shaded is LoZ: Wind Waker.

It is my favorite Zelda game by far and I highly doubt it would have been as good or memorable if they had gone with a standard Zelda graphical representation.

Edit: The one sided outcome of the poll, has made me laugh and made my day.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Zone of the Enders 2
Valkyria Chronicles
Bastion
Catherine
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Okami
Dragon Quest 8
Eternal Sonata
Gravity Rush
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1&2

All dem games beg to differ... just because you don't like the look of Borderlands doesn't mean the graphical technique has no value...

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Well, there's no accounting for taste, OP... it's apparent that you're in a very, very small minority in this one. Most people see cel-shaded games and think they look like a beautiful painting that's been animated.

thefascistpig

May 21, 2013
personally i prefer it to realistic graphics becuase it
A: allows the game to have a distinct look
B: Doesn't make hurl when i go back to play it years later
that's the reason i love ultimate spiderman and mad world alot

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
At the time of this post 95% of people disagree with you.
I'm going to agree with them as there has been MANY games that are cel-shaded and suit me just fine, several of which have already been posted, like Tales of Symphonia and The Walking Dead.
Also Wind Waker.