Poll: Chad Knaus said the F word on National TV. Should Someone Be Fined?

Lightning Delight

Apr 21, 2011
Do these people know that if they just stopped making such a big deal about swearing, there wouldn't be any point to it anymore? When it isn't a big deal, it may as well not be a swear word. Then nobody would care who says what! Isn't it amazing?

I would probably have reacted the exact same way if my engine exploded. What did the sound crew expect? And by the way, Fuck.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Guess what an F bomb was dropped at the Oscars to MILLIONS upon millions of people. Swearing really has.... just become common use to use around. It's not like it's the 50's guys, where only sailors swear. Everybody's doin' it join in.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Okay: No one bats an eye at racial slurs on national TV. But the moment someone says "fuck," people get the vapors. I find that a bit screwy.

JezebelinHell

Dec 9, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
The people who decided they should air live commentary from an over stressed team that just lost a race without crossing the finish line should be fined.

Seriously, what did he EXPECT they would say?
Exactly. I can understand NASCAR wanting to fine someone because they are "family" entertainment and do not want to offend their audience. The fine should be against the sports casters for not thinking. Yea, I know the conversations are not private and you can listen to any of them with a scanner, been to a few races myself, but that is not really public broadcast. Those guys shouldn't have to filter their language for the general public.

Also, I am confused as to why you ask "Should the Sound Producer lose his job?" in the poll but the topic is asking if Chad Knauss should be fined? Wording the poll question to follow the topic title is probably a good idea. Not like there is general attention to detail around here and I am betting a number of your results are in response to the topic question directly. Since I am not sure who you are referring to by Sound Producer and why he would lose his job rather than be fined I am abstaining.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
JezebelinHell said:
Also, I am confused as to why you ask "Should the Sound Producer lose his job?" in the poll but the topic is asking if Chad Knauss should be fined? Wording the poll question to follow the topic title is probably a good idea. Not like there is general attention to detail around here and I am betting a number of your results are in response to the topic question directly. Since I am not sure who you are referring to by Sound Producer and why he would lose his job rather than be fined I am abstaining.
It is an "If, Then" statement. If Chad Knaus should be fined (Which I guarantee he will, because NASCAR has fined drivers for swearing on the Radio before) should the sound board operator, who had to have known that SOMETHING dramatic would be said, why else would he put the radio chatter up, be fined as well?

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Society needs to put their big girl panties on. The concept of "bad words" is total crap.

The only reason people think those words are bad is because they were taught so by the parentals. And the only reason THEY thought so is because that's what they were taught.

Words are sounds used to get across ideas because humans lack the ability to read each others' minds. Stop getting offended at the sounds people use and get offended by the ideas they're communicating. Think about it...Would you be any less offended if I called your sister a whore than if I called her an easy, friendly lady? (No offense meant to anyones' sisters, it was just an example.)

Also, I get a real kick out of people who use the "Oooh, you swear! You must have such a small intellect!" line. Anything to jack yourself off, huh?

Anyway, no. Nobody should be fined. Who cares what word the guy used? Grow up already.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
I think you should be fucking fined for caring.

In other news, NASCAR is not a sport. OH YES I DID.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I was surprised the fine in question wasn't one levied by the FCC. (At least not yet.) So I guess my rant about them will have to wait for another day.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Fuck that fucked up shit!

In other fucking words.. fuck no!

I fucking stand by my fucking words.

This message, brought to you by the proud speakers of the word "fuck".

deckpunk

Apr 5, 2011
If you're not grown up enough to handle swear words then you shouldn't have guns...

Just an honest observation from THE REST OF THE WORLD.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
He shouldn't be fined, it is the fault of the people that allowed it to be put on air. It wasn't like he knew he was talking for a television audience, that stuff usually isn't aired, unless selected, and then certain things aren't aired because of such "fucking" things.

Bon_Clay said:
I very much doubt any NASCAR fans were so shocked by hearing the word fuck they dropped their monocle into their champagne glass. Its just a damn word, and if you can't handle that then you aren't grown up enough to be watching NASCAR anyway. People getting into serious crashes and dieing is more shocking than a word most 4th graders use all day when at school.
Awesome quip.

I'm not much for watching racing. I really only watch one race a year, the Indy 500, because I live in Indiana(My family has a draw out a random driver betting pool each year).

But I have a friend that is big into all types of racing, especially NASCAR. The next time he talks about watching a NASCAR race, I should ask if I can come over and watch.

I'll show up wearing a monocle and bring a glass of champagne. Though, I will also add a wearing of a top-hat to the joke.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
No. That would be ridiculous, and possibly sanctioning more dangerous ways of censoring speech.

"Sensitive" (older generation) people frowning about swearwords, is a situation where one might want to choose to avoid them so as not to offend when the solution is so simple (don't swear). But once you get into actual censoring in schools, offices, and media, then you are in a very dangerous situation.

Has anyone else realized what it means when words can be censored?(illegalized, in totalitarian/fascist enough countries) WORDS!?! How can we talk about free speech when we, even on just a social level, don't allow people to use certain words?

Look, I barely swear at all. But most of the swearwords I hear have no effect on me (Religious ones mean nothing, and the toilet/sex ones might have been intriguing when I was young and didn't fully understand, but are now equally powerless in offending me). And none of the people from my generation seem bothered by them either. But they are a great way to vent frustration (now you don't have to add a fist-sized hole to the wall. yay!).

So the people who have to swear at least once every sentence are annoying, but they are only annoying in the way people who have to say "like" at least once every sentence. These words used to mean something, now they have become more of a linguistic tool to show anger, frustration, panic, etc. They can still be used to offend people, but then it's usually directed at a specific person(s), and no-one else is meant to be offended (and shouldn't feel offended).

JezebelinHell

Dec 9, 2010
Spade Lead said:
JezebelinHell said:
It is an "If, Then" statement. If Chad Knaus should be fined (Which I guarantee he will, because NASCAR has fined drivers for swearing on the Radio before) should the sound board operator, who had to have known that SOMETHING dramatic would be said, why else would he put the radio chatter up, be fined as well?
Still betting that most people are replying to the topic question and not to the poll question and since the responses seem to be about the fine and not the loss of a job...

I don't even see how the loss of a job enters into the equation since really it isn't the Sound Producers fault for doing what the show host requested, that is his job and he would have lost it for not doing it. Unless you have some vendetta against Sound Producers. Meh.

I should have skipped the reading and just responded to the topic. Actually, at this point I have no idea why I responded, the responses seem to be just a reason to type out expletives.

Edit: snipped.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Spade Lead said:
I think Tom Brokaw or one of the old guard got into some trouble when interviewing an Afghan warlord for saying aloud: "This is bullshit." Now that's journalistic integrity.

For sure, the crew chief shouldn't be in any trouble. I wouldn't fine the sound producer either - it's not like it was planned like when hack musicians/dancing lip synchers Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson did it.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Farseer Lolotea said:
Okay: No one bats an eye at racial slurs on national TV. But the moment someone says "fuck," people get the vapors. I find that a bit screwy.
Huh? Where do you live?

I haven't heard "******" on national TV in nearly 2 decades, and I don't think I've ever heard the words "spic" or "******."

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Within the terms of his contract or agreement, yes.

However in my opinion I hope not.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Being fined for a swear word? That's the mentality of a parent who can't get his/her children to stop saying "Fuck you!" to each other. As for the sound producer losing his job, I don't care but I highly doubt that it will happen. A million things could have been said when the broadcast was cut to the radio, and that's just what was said. Of course, it wasn't the BEST idea ever, but a millions of things could have been said instead of "You have got to be fucking KIDDING me!".

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I believe it's the network's responsibility to censor out anything they might deem offensive and it's their own fault if they choose to take the risk of allowing live commentary and reactions. Most adults use profanity to emphasise their frustration. Drivers might be told to watch what they say, but during an "in the moment" situation, i doubt Knaus was really thinking about that after his engine just blew up. I don't think he should be punished because the network was willing to take the risk that anything could be said without censorship on live broadcast.