Poll: Chaos or Tyranny?

Saxm13

Feb 22, 2010
Interesting question posed on twitter.

Which do you think is worse?

Personally freedom is more important to me, but then again...chaos means, well, chaos.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Chaos. With chaos there is no order, no predictability. Humans crave predictability, even if that means giving in to tyranny. That's why so many nations allow a tyrannical leader to take over a country that is in chaos, because people want some kind of order, no matter what it is.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
On the basis that both would be equally bad, I went with tyranny because I would still be able to get services and stuff (and tyranny is a cool word).

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I would take chaos, I would get a chance to fight for my survival and freedom.

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
I think Chaos would be worse. At least with Tyranny you could learn to follow and adapt to the rules. While with Chaos you are liable to be shot and killed because someone didn't like your tie...

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Chaos, because humanity always self-organises & forms communities that are capable of great things. Everyone here on the escapist is here as a result of chaos, not tyranny, and that's true of pretty much every community I can think of, although there are probably some exceptions. Tyranny just destroys communities & doesn't let the crowd reach their full potential.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
You mean permanent chaos? Because there will usually be some leader to fill the void in cases of moments of chaos.

I'd prefer permanent tyranny over permanent chaos, as long as the government in question doesn't have a specific prejudice against my specific ethnicity, religion, etc. I get to mostly live my life as I want, as long as I don't go against the state or have overzealous neighbors who report me to the secret police for "suspected dissent."

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
I'm going to go with Chaos, simply because my faith in humanity gives me hope that the terrible things people do simply because it will have no repercussions will be kept to a minimum.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Chaos. Mankind has shown time and again that it can accomplish great feats even when it seems the world has gone mad. It won't be easy, but neither is tyranny.

In Chaos you can change your circumstances to better your position. In a tyranny, whatever the dictator says goes and it doesn't matter if you lose your livelihood or your life; there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Redlin5 said:
BURN ALL THE THINGS!

It would be fun for the few moments before the biker gangs got me.
Or the plastic surgeons that want your face.

Chaos you never know it might me fun.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
In the world I seeyou're stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Chaos FTW

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Ah shit. I voted for the one I wanted, not the one I thought was worse.

You should like... actually put the question in the poll. Instead of like, way later in the OP.

Chaos is better than Tyranny cause at least you have a chance.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
tendaji said:
I think Chaos would be worse. At least with Tyranny you could learn to follow and adapt to the rules. While with Chaos you are liable to be shot and killed because someone didn't like your tie...
Under trinity you will be shot in killed my myself (or or other revolutionaries) for supporting tyrants.

Tyranny is not safety. The Hunger games, China's hideous human right violations, Nazi Germany. That is tyranny it breeds chaos which in context is ironic but none the less true. Chaos is a zombie film or Left 4 Dead it somewhat less ironically breeds cooperation (possibly tyranny) or total extermination both of which I prefer over tyranny

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Uszi said:

You should like... actually put the question in the poll. Instead of like, way later in the OP.

Don't worry, so did I.

OT: I think Tyranny is worse. Having someone tell me exactly what I'm going to do and when i'm going to do it does not sit well with me. It's likely to happen during chaos too, but at least then that person isn't likely to have an entire government behind him, slightly better odds. And he'd likely have other enemies too.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
JaceArveduin said:
Uszi said:

Don't worry, so did I.

OT: I think Tyranny is worse. Having someone tell me exactly what I'm going to do and when i'm going to do it does not sit well with me. It's likely to happen during chaos too, but at least then that person isn't likely to have an entire government behind him, slightly better odds. And he'd likely have other enemies too.
Same here, on both accounts. You give me a job to do and leave me alone to do it, I'll get it done. You give me a job to do and tell me step-by-step how to do it every time, I'll have to resist the urge to punch you in the face.