Poll: Chemistry. Hard?

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
Labyrinth said:
black lincon said:
Wait, your a year and a bit older than me and your in a uni? now my knowledge of the Australian education system my be sketchy, okay I have none, but for you to say that based on experience you would have to be two grades ahead of me(once again I could be very wrong as I'm going off the American system)! that seems like a few two many for a year and a bit. unless, are you by any chance super smart and skipped a grade.
No, I'm not at Uni, but the family background mentioned includes a parent who lectures 1st year chem.
ah, maybe next time I'll remember what ethanol is, and why drinking it is bad.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
black lincon said:
Ethanol is the alcohol in wine, spirits and such. It's highly toxic when in concentrated form, but not as dangerous as huge amounts of Dihydrogen Monoxide. You really need to keep an eye out for that stuff, as it's been involved in every poisoning since the beginning of time. It's even found in household cleaning products. Might be worth starting a local petition to have it removed from things like food. Oh yes, it's in your FOOD.

lostclause

Mar 31, 2009
Labyrinth said:
black lincon said:
Ethanol is the alcohol in wine, spirits and such. It's highly toxic when in concentrated form, but not as dangerous as huge amounts of Dihydrogen Monoxide. You really need to keep an eye out for that stuff, as it's been involved in every poisoning since the beginning of time. It's even found in household cleaning products. Might be worth starting a local petition to have it removed from things like food. Oh yes, it's in your FOOD.
I'm calling you out on that one :)
The embaressing thing about this is not only did I manage to pull this one on a friend (who was doing chemistry) but also one of our politicians raised this in parliament. That tells you a lot about NZ politic. Also someone made up a drug, calling it 'yellow cake', which the government spent a long time talking very seriously about.

Crystal Cuckoo

Jan 6, 2009
I find physics to be easier than chemistry because it requires less work (you have to understand the content).
That being said, it really depends on your teacher. Really. I have a great teacher for physics, so it's a breeze for me, but I have a lousy one for Chem, so I have to put in a great deal of effort just to stay afloat in my class (who, annoyingly, are all privately tutored >.>)
If the science teachers at your school are decent enough, then take it. It's actually quite interesting.

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
Labyrinth said:
black lincon said:
Di-hydrogen. MONO oxide... Isn't that h2O?
I am thoroughly confused. WHAT IS THIS DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE YOU SPEAK OF?!

Labyrinth

Oct 14, 2007
nekolux said:
You're so close to a win. So very close. Now, add 100ml of 5mol satire and 50mL 2mol nerd humour and you should have a solution to the problem.

And a few grams of Pun.

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
Labyrinth said:
nekolux said:
You're so close to a win. So very close. Now, add 100ml of 5mol satire and 50mL 2mol nerd humour and you should have a solution to the problem.

And a few grams of Pun.
I dont have any 0.05mol/cm^3 concentration of satire around. Is it ok to use the undiluted version of 0.8mol/cm^3 while reducing the volume to 4ml to compensate? =P

I did a google search. That is absolute genius. I just realized how every chemical name can potentially sound extremely dangerous as long as you structure it the right way.

Fancy a bit of hexacarbon-dodecahydrogen-hexaoxide? Tells you how important it is to name stuff right. Like the hedge funds of those capitalists =P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzJmTCYmo9g

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
I found chemistry to be stupidly easy at high school - as long as you pay attention (as has been said already) and make sure you understand what's going on, it's a breeze.
That said, my mind works in a vaguely sciencey way so getting in the right mindset wasn't a problem for me.

I recently read about a chemical compound named "arsole". It's a ring structure.

Labyrinth

Oct 14, 2007
nekolux said:
I dont have any 0.05mol/cm^3 concentration of satire around. Is it ok to use the undiluted version of 0.8mol/cm^3 while reducing the volume to 4ml to compensate? =P

I did a google search. That is absolute genius. I just realized how every chemical name can potentially sound extremely dangerous as long as you structure it the right way.

Fancy a bit of hexacarbon-dodecahydrogen-hexaoxide? Tells you how important it is to name stuff right. Like the hedge funds of those capitalists =P
A 0.05mol solution of Satire is 2fold weaker than the one you should use. I said 5mol.

I'm going to presume you meant glucose, which has 12 hydrogen atoms, not 20. C[sub]6[/sub]H[sub]12[/sub]O[sub]6[/sub]

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
Labyrinth said:
nekolux said:

A 0.05mol solution of Satire is 2fold weaker than the one you should use. I said 5mol.

I'm going to presume you meant glucose, which has 12 hydrogen atoms, not 20.
Ahh i misunderstood what you said. ( I assumed 100ml of 5mol satire = 5mol of satire in a 100ml satire solution. ) Dodeca is 12 though isn't it?

Labyrinth

Oct 14, 2007
nekolux said:
Ahh i misunderstood what you said. ( I assumed 100ml of 5mol satire = 5mol of satire in a 100ml satire solution. ) Dodeca is 12 though isn't it?
A 5mol solution is 5mol whether it's 100mL or 6L. And Dodeca is 20, double - deca.

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
Labyrinth said:
nekolux said:
A 5mol solution is 5mol whether it's 100mL or 6L. And Dodeca is 20, double - deca.
Concentration is different though. If you have 5mols of satire diluted to become a 100ml solution. The concentration is 0.05mols/ml and concentration affects the speed of reaction!
Also wiktionary is telling me it's 12 0.o http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dodeca-
( I get what you mean do-double, deca = 10^1. I thought i confused myself but a wiki searched turned that up )

virko

Mar 17, 2009
I find Organic Chemistry is easy, (my Dad is an organic research chemist) and that Electro Chemistry is pretty hard (redox, potential difference etc.) However, to have a chance at being good at either of them, you need a solid grounding in Stoichiometry, or the mathematical side of chemistry. Other areas like Spectroscopy and Human Biochemistry I found quite approachable because of links to Organic.

Good Luck!

- Cam

Labyrinth

Oct 14, 2007
nekolux said:
Concentration is different though. If you have 5mols of satire diluted to become a 100ml solution. The concentration is 0.05mols/ml and concentration affects the speed of reaction!
( I get what you mean do-double, deca = 10^1. I thought i confused myself but a wiki searched turned that up )
But to say it's a 5mol solution usually means that the concentration is 5mol/L, with the volume being how much of that you have. I probably should have written it as 5M as that's a more common notation. And hmm, my bad.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
I was never a huge fan of chemistry. However, it's actually really simple once you get the hang of it. Most things can be solved by plugging the values into a formula. Trick is just knowing what goes where and they should teach you that in class (if not, the book is your best friend).
I say go for it, anything is better than physics *has nightmares of thermodynamic equations.*

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
Labyrinth said:
nekolux said:
But to say it's a 5mol solution usually means that the concentration is 5mol/L, with the volume being how much of that you have. I probably should have written it as 5M as that's a more common notation. And hmm, my bad.
Haha nah i was the one who misunderstood what you said. However i think something that becomes apparent here is the important of terminology. Future chem students. This is your worst enemy. Not even kidding, i'm not sure about the american marking system but for the UK marking system. Specific terms must be used to describe your results. A real pain to learn because you're already used to the way you normally describe things.

Crowser

Feb 13, 2009
Meh took both Physics and Chem last year (junior year in high) and I found Physics to be A LOT more interesting. Chem was just memorizing bullshit, decently easy but thats not learning, thats repetition. Physics actually taught me things that are relevant to everything else in the universe and you had to apply concepts not just restate facts. If your school has just a straight Physics class I would take that.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Labyrinth said:
nekolux said:
dodeca-is 12. icosa- is 20.

OT: i had to take regular chem. in high school. i sat in the back of class, did the experiments and whatever work was handed back to me. i completely ignored the rest of the class and read an AP review book. I ended up getting a 4/5 on the AP test, which most colleges in the U.S. will accept as a credit.

so yeah, i found chemistry really easy. then again, everything in high school was much, much too easy.