Poll: Childhood Movies that you forgot how obscenely awesome they are

Jacco

May 1, 2011
So I'm watching the Power Rangers movie since it happens to be on television right now and I remember liking it when I was like 8-12. But watching it now, I find the acting is horrible, the dialogue is atrocious ("Let's rock his world" is said as they are fighting rock monsters right before they roll a boulder on one of the said rock monsters), the martial arts are terrible, the effects look fake, the monsters look like they are claymation, and the big monsters at the end belong in the PlayStation 2 era.

What does all that equate to? The movie being way more fucking obscenely awesome than I remember it.

So. What movies have you come across as an adult that you loved as a kid and were they as awesome as you remember? Or do you hate yourself for ever liking it?

Also, now that I am a mature adult male, I have a far greater appreciation for Kimberly than I ever did as a kid. ;)

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
I loved Robocop as a kid.
It had action, violence, gore - everything a kid loves :D
I saw it not too long ago... and it's even better than I remembered it to be.
The action, violence and gore is still fun but I also picked up the social satire and adult humor that flew over my head 20 years ago.

Gremlins is another movie that is way better when you're older.
That goes double for Gremlins 2. I liked it as a kid (although I found it weird) but as an adult, I think it's a masterpiece of comedy.

A movie that doesn't hold up? Krull.
I've seen it a bunch of times as a kid and I thought it was really good.
These days, I find it boring. It looks great (some effects were groundbreaking for it's time and the set design is beautiful in more than a few places) but it's boring, the characters are forgettable and the Glaive is a giant tease followed by a middle finger at the end.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
The sword in the stone.

I laughed my ass off at that as a kid. It was just the funniest thing in the world to me for some reason.

I assumed it was just because I was a slap happy kid, but I watched it again recently-ish and still laughed my damn ass off. It was just such a genius slapstick movie I couldn't help but smile all the way through.

A huge toothy grin too, none of that subtle bullshit.

It was at least as awesome as I remember if not better.

You should all go out and watch this objectively funny movie. Right now. Go on! Get! I'll wait.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Watership Down.
I remember being too traumatized to be able to enjoy this film. That scene where the cute bunny rabbits are buried alive while being gassed with runs chocked with bodies, tends to do that to a kid. Also I watched it on one of those old school LaserDisk(The kind the size of a LP record) So I watched the second half first.
Now that I've seen it in the correct order and have become significantly more jaded, I can see the whole thing for the political allegory and general example of artistry that it is.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.
I was born a couple of years before the berlin wall went down, so I had very little understanding of the whole cold war thing when I first saw the movie. Now I actually get it.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Small Soldiers. Joe Dante's spiritual successor to his earlier Gremlins movies. Features Tommy Lee Jones as a psychotic action figure who flies around on a toy helicopter playing Ride of the Valkyries. Plus an excellent rip on Patton.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I was almost in college when most of those came out.

I can't think of anything I've put behind me, unless I grew to outright hate it. I actually still watch the stuff I grew up on, which was not all that child-friendly to begin with. Never did like family friendly entertainment.....

Ah! But TV series..... A year or two ago I rewatched the ReBoot TV series. While season 1 had annoying sound effects & goofy humor, seasons 2 & 3 evolved beyond that; Much better than I remember. Also season 3 was surprisingly adult. There was also the Gargoyles TV series...Hard to believe Disney could make something that good. Rocko's Modern Life, Aeon Flux, Duckman, the Critic.....

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
Jacco said:
So I'm watching the Power Rangers movie since it happens to be on television right now and I remember liking it when I was like 8-12. But watching it now, I find the acting is horrible, the dialogue is atrocious ("Let's rock his world" is said as they are fighting rock monsters right before they roll a boulder on one of the said rock monsters), the martial arts are terrible, the effects look fake, the monsters look like they are claymation, and the big monsters at the end belong in the PlayStation 2 era.

What does all that equate to? The movie being way more fucking obscenely awesome than I remember it.

So. What movies have you come across as an adult that you loved as a kid and were they as awesome as you remember? Or do you hate yourself for ever liking it?

Also, now that I am a mature adult male, I have a far greater appreciation for Kimberly than I ever did as a kid. ;)
Lol my son who is 7 just discovered the Power rangers movie yesterday, he loves it. I found Titan A/E on a few days ago and DVR'd it for him to watch, its been a long time since I saw it. I didnt even remember but I had the Final Fantasy movie on DVD so I will break that out for him as well. Hopefully they are just as awesome now. A lot of the movies I watched at his age or younger are too violent and over the top for him. I guess I care about his mental health more than my family did about mine.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
The Twelve Tasks of Asterix would be one. Watched it a lot as a kid and found it on Netflix half a year ago, or so.
Still great and this time I understood a lot of the jokes went completely over my head.

Also saw Asterix and the Big Fight at the same time(English titles sure are dull), which was also as awesome as I remembered - except for a song which I used to watch the entire movie just to hear. As an adult it just felt dull.

Found the song on Youtube!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Small Soldiers. Joe Dante's spiritual successor to his earlier Gremlins movies. Features Tommy Lee Jones as a psychotic action figure who flies around on a toy helicopter playing Ride of the Valkyries. Plus an excellent rip on Patton.
I remember that, there is about half a dozen 'war' speeches both real and fictional rolled into that little speech.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Atlantis: The Lost Empire fucking rocks! The action is intense, the characters are colorful, the mythology and lore is fascinating and it's really funny.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
OMFG. How could I have forgotten about Small Soldiers?! The part where they are fighting off killer Barbies is one of my favorite movie moment of all time. lol

Jacco

May 1, 2011
Ekit said:
Atlantis: The Lost Empire fucking rocks! The action is intense, the characters are colorful, the mythology and lore is fascinating and it's really funny.
That movie was surprisingly violent for an animated Disney movie. Which was why it was great.

And dat submarine. Mmmmm.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Prince of Egypt.

I have misremembred it as just another "Bible cartoon, LOL", but having recently rewatched it, it is incredibly epic, with an obscenely stylish use of symbolism and foreshadowing, an agreeable portrayal of the theology behind it (such as the problem of Free Will in hardening the Pharaoh's heart, or seamlessly integrating the vengeful thunder-god implied by a textual reading of the story, with the idea of the Everlasting Adonai), and high quality animation (especially on character body language).

Also, this ************:

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I'm... I'm too old for any of those on the list! D= I was on my way out of my teens when most of those first aired.

I can't really think of any childhood films I recently watched that made me go "It's STILL effing awesome!", but I have a few I still love. Two of them are Swedish films based on Astrid Lindgren books: Ronja the Robber's Daughter and The Brothers Lionheart are the English titles. There are bits in them I don't like - I really dislike one of the actors who plays in both films (As Borka and Orvar respectively) for some reason - but I just love them anyway.

[small]Since physical humour translates best over language lines, fart jokes it is! =P[/small]

In English.... Um... The Life of Brian and The Quest of the Holy Grail I suppose? Do they count? They're not really kids' movies but I loved them as kid; used to watch them all the time, especially LoB as we had it recorded on VHS[footnote]Ask your parents, kids.[/footnote]. And still love them! Other than that, I can't think of any... I'll get back to you if I ever get hold of any of the kids shows from Australia and New Zealand that I used to watch like Round the Twist and The Girl From Tomorrow.

A film I loved as a kid, but now cringe through most of as an adult, is an animated feature from the States based on a Dutch book called Gnomes. I've only watched it in Swedish and some of the bits still make me laugh - albeit sometimes for different reasons now - but most of it... *shudder* I can't say I hate it though because nostalgia. Would still love to get hold of the books though; loved them too as kid.

Now I will sit in a corner and weep as no one recognises the awesomeness of Skalle-Per.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
I was 20 when the oldest film on your list came out, I feel old. What I will say once you are passed you early 30s you stop trying to be cool and actually watch what you like. So Bedknobs and Broomsticks and the Jungle book are brilliant disney films. I, as 40 year old, watch them on my own, without the excuse of children, just for the sheer enjoyment.

Ivailo Todorov

Sep 24, 2013
I think it was called Emperor's New Groove back in 2000.Kuzco was freaking awesome.Kronk and Izma were the funniest stuff to me as a child,I recently rewatched the series of it,it was nice and funny :)

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
I'd have to go with Cats Don't Dance.

I'd opt for a Disney film, but everyone knows that classic Disney is obscenely awesome, and I'm regularly reminded of their existence so I don't really have time to forget about them.

Cats Don't Dance was a super cute musical about a cat with dreams of being a big Hollywood star.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Does anyone remember The Road to El Dorado? The animated film? I rewatched it recently and my god has that movie aged well. Everyone should be watching it. The humour is still spot on (mostly because it contains a fair bit of adult humour) and its beautifully done. It's got a very Prince of Egypt vibe like someone in this thread has already mentioned.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Voulan said:
Does anyone remember The Road to El Dorado? The animated film? I rewatched it recently and my god has that movie aged well. Everyone should be watching it. The humour is still spot on (mostly because it contains a fair bit of adult humour) and its beautifully done. It's got a very Prince of Egypt vibe like someone in this thread has already mentioned.
Funny story about that one, it would've apparently been the first in a series had it made enough back in the day.