Poll: Chivalry

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
TL;DR: [HEADING=1]Chivalry: DO WE NEED IT?![/HEADING]

There seems to be a recurring theme around these parts and the internet as a whole regarding chivalry in which some love-lorn guy will say, with a heavy sigh and a shake of the head, "why do women not love me? I hold doors open for them, listen to them whine about their boyfriends and always remain polite in front of them!"

However, rather than deal with chivalry as a meta-concept within the many romance threads that are endemic of the Off-Topic Discussion forum, I thought that it might be better to debate chivalry itself right here. So throw in your arguments and let's try and work this one out, is chivalry good or bad?

Here's my view: Chivalry is an outdated concept from a pre-equality society. It is often tempting to romanticise the past and gloss over the realities, but it must be faced that Chivalry was not a lifestyle choice, but an essential part of male courtship. In the times from which the concept hails, women were not capable of doing anything for themselves so chivalry wasn't simply a way of 'being nice to women', it was a way of showing women all the things that their suitor could offer them and, of course, holding open a door etc was hardly forbidden for women, but all the small acts of 'kindness' were symbolic of the easier lifestyle that would accompany the woman accepting her suitor's wooing.

Secondly, chivalry is sexist. One should not be especially nice to any particular gender or race, but should instead make being nice a general rule in dealing with all people (unless, of course, their behaviour should warrant another reaction). If you wish to show preference of politeness to one particular gender you must show what it is about yourself, or about that gender, that warrants this behaviour. I firmly believe that any person who is preferentially polite to one particular gender is making an underlying assumption that said gender is not equal to his/her own (said gender is either superior, thus their superiority warrants additional respect, or inferior, hence their inferiority affords them less rights (the right to honesty, to mutual respect etc)). Please, chivalry advocates, show how chivalry avoids the superiority/inferiority predication.

Lastly, please explain the purpose of chivalry. It is oft claimed by chivalrous men who've lost out to 'those arseholes' that 'all women love' that they're not being chivalrous to get into women's pants. So why are you being chivalrous? As it is, chivalry seems like little more than mere flattery with exactly that intention.

Here I should point out that replies along the lines of "because it's the right thing to do" are not arguments, they're axiomatic postulations leading to ultimately circular logic (it's right because it's right because it's right). Have a think about why you do or don't think chivalry is positive. Oh, and just to clear up any misconceptions, I'm Male, 20, and in favour of treating all people as they deserve to be treated.

PinkAngelKitty

Jan 24, 2010
Some people say chivalry is sexist. I say it depends. If it doesn't get the point where the fellow won't let me do anything so I "don't have to lift a delicate finger" but he still opens doors for me or pops that jacket off his back when I'm cold, then I think it's great. It's always nice to be treated like a lady. I used to be able to expect that kind of behaviour from my boyfriend by now he has a pretty solid "do it yourself, wench" attitude. That's what happens when you date someone for a really long time, kids. v__v

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
I've never been a big fan of being chivalrous. Being a polite, decent person is just as good, almost indistinguishable to the naked eye and, most importantly, unisex.

A mild misandrist once told me I was a real gentleman because I was polite to her. I told her no, I'm not a gentleman, I'm simply not a jerk.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
PinkAngelKitty said:
Some people say chivalry is sexist. I say it depends. If it doesn't get the point where the fellow won't let me do anything so I "don't have to lift a delicate finger" but he still opens doors for me or pops that jacket off his back when I'm cold, then I think it's great. It's always nice to be treated like a lady. I used to be able to expect that kind of behaviour from my boyfriend by now he has a pretty solid "do it yourself, wench" attitude. That's what happens when you date someone for a really long time, kids. v__v
But, wouldn't you agree that 'being treated like a lady' is just the same thing as being flattered? Obviously you like having a pseudo slave who'll do things for you and make you feel special, who wouldn't? But this really doesn't justify chivalry.

More to the point this should be covered by the rule of reciprocity: if you treat your boyfriend in this way then he too should treat you in this way, but if you don't treat him in this manner then how do you justify expecting it of him?

Graustein said:
I've never been a big fan of being chivalrous. Being a polite, decent person is just as good, almost indistinguishable to the naked eye and, most importantly, unisex.
Amen.

mrbones228

Dec 13, 2009
Graustein said:

A mild misandrist once told me I was a real gentleman because I was polite to her. I told her no, I'm not a gentleman, I'm simply not a jerk.
pretty much that.

brainfreeze215

Feb 5, 2009
BGH122 said:
Secondly, chivalry is sexist. One should not be especially nice to any particular gender or race, but should instead make being nice a general rule in dealing with all people (unless, of course, their behaviour should warrant another reaction). If you wish to show preference of politeness to one particular gender you must show what it is about yourself, or about that gender, that warrants this behaviour. I firmly believe that any person who is preferentially polite to one particular gender is making an underlying assumption that said gender is not equal to his/her own (said gender is either superior, thus their superiority warrants additional respect, or inferior, hence their inferiority affords them less rights (the right to honesty, to mutual respect etc)). Please, chivalry advocates, show how chivalry avoids the superiority/inferiority predication.
I completely agree. I've been putting up this argument in every chivalry thread I've come across. One good opinion I've heard about it is to think of sexism as a birdcage. Chivalry by itself is one small wire, incapable of restricting any birds, but it is still a part of the cage that holds equality back. Being a nice person should be enough. And let's be honest: is a chivalrous man more likely to hold the door open for an attractive woman or a plain-looking woman? Just how much of your chivalrous intention is designed to make yourself look better for a woman?

djpuppylove789

Jan 22, 2009
this expresses my sentiments best:
Bro Code Article 37: A Bro is under no obligation to open a door for anyone. If women insist on having their own professional basketball league, then they can open their own doors. Honestly, they're not that heavy.

brainfreeze215

Feb 5, 2009
PinkAngelKitty said:
But here's something to consider: If someone were still doing those actions to make you feel admired rather than to make you feel like a lady, would that be any worse? Intention can be the subtle shift from kindness to unintentional sexism.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Hmm, I like it, but it's old. If we're using the old "door opening" standard, I do that for anyone regardless of gender or attractiveness, it's just common courtesy. Common courtesy, itself seems to be dead, considering how many times I've had the door closed on me.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
brainfreeze215 said:
BGH122 said:
I completely agree. I've been putting up this argument in every chivalry thread I've come across. One good opinion I've heard about it is to think of sexism as a birdcage. Chivalry by itself is one small wire, incapable of restricting any birds, but it is still a part of the cage that holds equality back. Being a nice person should be enough. And let's be honest: is a chivalrous man more likely to hold the door open for an attractive woman or a plain-looking woman? Just how much of your chivalrous intention is designed to make yourself look better for a woman?
Very nice analogy, I'll keep that in mind.

RatRace123 said:
Hmm, I like it, but it's old. If we're using the old "door opening" standard, I do that for anyone regardless of gender or attractiveness, it's just common courtesy. Common courtesy, itself seems to be dead, considering how many times I've had the door closed on me.
For sure, it's a shame, but attitudes like chivalry reinforce a lack of basic human politeness: chivalry is (I've yet to see this disproved) instrumental kindness, kindness to get some direct reward rather than for the sake of kindness.

IrishBerserker

Oct 6, 2009
PinkAngelKitty said:
...opens doors for me or pops that jacket off his back when I'm cold, then I think it's great. It's always nice to be treated like a lady...
Thats pretty much what I count and practice as Chivalry. I open doors because as a child I was thought it was a good/nice thing to do, as such I do it for every one, gender non-specific. As for the coat thing, if one of my female friends is cold I'll give them my jacket because it is a nice thing to do and because I don't mind the cold and will sacrifice my own comfort for a friend.

BGH122 said:
Here's my view: Chivalry is an outdated concept from a pre-equality society...

...If you wish to show preference of politeness to one particular gender you must show what it is about yourself, or about that gender, that warrants this behaviour. I firmly believe that any person who is preferentially polite to one particular gender is making an underlying assumption that said gender is not equal to his/her own (said gender is either superior, thus their superiority warrants additional respect, or inferior, hence their inferiority affords them less rights (the right to honesty, to mutual respect etc)). Please, chivalry advocates, show how chivalry avoids the superiority/inferiority predication....
Your "pre-equality" statement isn't technically accurate, both the pre-christian Vikings and Irish practiced a form of chivalry, and both those societies viewed women as, if not superior then, at least, equal to men.

As far as why I practice chivalry, its because of both my upbringing and my religion. In my religion women are considered to be sacred because they bear children and due in part to their sanctity they are superior to men.

Acier

Nov 5, 2009
Being Polite is enough. Although if engaged in some sort committed relationship then more should be done for said girl.

And why is everyone acting like holding a door opening is "chivalrous"? Hardly, that's plain polite. It's more than holding a door open guys.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
If you wish to discuss chivalry, you must discuss the new fad of sexism. I really don't want to, so I'll just say how I feel about chivalry, since that is what we intend to keep this topic about...mostly.

Chivalry is all well and good up until a certain point. I never, at any point in my life, thought that chivalry equated to a spineless goodie two shoes(or however that saying is spelt). I hold the door open for men and women alike. I say thank you and you're welcome to all people. I listen to most people's problems, regardless of gender. I would never even think of throwing my jacket down over a puddle so some woman can walk over it. Its great to be nice to women, since they will take notice of you, but man, don't be at their every beckon and call.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
IrishBerserker said:
Your "pre-equality" statement isn't technically accurate, both the pre-christian Vikings and Irish practiced a form of chivalry, and both those societies viewed women as, if not superior then, at least, equal to men.

As far as why I practice chivalry, its because of both my upbringing and my religion. In my religion women are considered to be sacred because they bear children and due in part to their sanctity they are superior to men.
Oh that'd be interesting, if true, to research and puzzle over why those cultures developed chivalry. However, I can find no proof of your claims since neither Viking chivalry nor even any clear information on Viking gender concepts returns on a Google search, if you've any proof for your claims I'd love to see it because it's quite an interesting point.

Mr.Pandah said:
If you wish to discuss chivalry, you must discuss the new fad of sexism. I really don't want to, so I'll just say how I feel about chivalry, since that is what we intend to keep this topic about...mostly.

Chivalry is all well and good up until a certain point. I never, at any point in my life, thought that chivalry equated to a spineless goodie two shoes(or however that saying is spelt). I hold the door open for men and women alike. I say thank you and you're welcome to all people. I listen to most people's problems, regardless of gender. I would never even think of throwing my jacket down over a puddle so some woman can walk over it. Its great to be nice to women, since they will take notice of you, but man, don't be at their every beckon and call.
You're welcome to derail the thread onto a discussion of modern sexism if you wish, it'd be interesting to hear about because I've no clue what you mean by that (well, obviously, sexism which is modern, but I've not experienced this).

JayDub147

Jun 13, 2009
As far as I'm concerned all people should be "chivalrous" (is that how you spell it?), in a sense. Be nice to everyone just for the sake of being nice, not because you're the guy and that's what you're supposed to do. Don't be a "man," just be kind.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Most females are big girls. They can open their doors, pull out their chairs, and slaughter their own boars for dinner. People shouldn't be expected to do this for them. Now, if a male wants to do it because he wants to do it (or he likes beheading his own swine) then fine, but if he does it because he thinks women can't THEN it is sexism. I don't think chivalry is dead and I think it has its place in our society(however small). I just don't think it should be the norm.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
I don't know why this was the first thought that came to my head, but I think I remember seeing an episode of a Disney cartoon dealing with this very issue. But for the life of me, I can't remember the title of the series.

Also, while the notion of Chivalry being sexist is more than accurate, I wouldn't mind seeing it practiced by some of the kids I work with. A boy in my classroom would probably fart in a girls face rather than entertain the thought of actually opening a door for her.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
It's an outdated concept that's just a more subtle form of showing the desire for sex and keeping women down. Anyone who does this needs to ask themselves if they do it because it's polite, or because they're hoping to get some in return later. If it's the former, then why does it only seem to apply to girlfriends and attractive women (and if it's a girlfriend then the male must find her attractive)? So doesn't being a chivilrous person make you just as much a douchebag as the people you claim to hate because all they want is sex?

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
While Chivalry is indeed archaic, I have to admit that in certain situations it's nice. I mean, don't go as far as throwing your jacket into a puddle, but holding open doors or other things that are simply considered polite nowadays is perfectly fine for some girls without venturing into the realm of "You know I can walk AROUND the puddle, right?"