Poll: Chrono Trigger: Version differences.

Ryu890

May 28, 2011
Hello all! Looking to purchase a downloadable Chrono Trigger in the near future, and my options are between the PSN version, and the Virtual Console version. (I've long since lost my DS version, which to my understanding is the superior.) I plan on recording this playthrough...and currently, can only record gameplay footage from my TV.

Anyways, can anyone help me out? I've heard that the PSN one includes a bunch of animated cutscenes, but that the load times are horrendous. (15 seconds just to open the menu?), but the Virtual Console lacks these, dispite the rather incredible impact they had on the DS version.

Thoughts?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I have played the PS1 version on my PS1, and the SNES version on an SNES emulator. The PS1 version (which I assume is the same as the PSN version) has very small delays when activating the menu, or entering.exiting combat, which didn't weren't as severe as you mentioned (I don't recall waiting 15 seconds for a menu).

If you don't want to take a chance on it, you can always just buy the VC version and watch the cutscenes on YouTube later.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Do NOT buy the PSN version. The load time when entering the menus is such a nuisance that it becomes detrimental to the overall gaming experience. It's the same with the old FF titles that are out on the PS1/PSN; they all have horrible load times when entering battles and menus. Seeing that RPG's obviously have a lot of grinding and customisation, this is a real issue. I re-bought FFVI on VC to get rid of the load times, so take my word for it, only buy Playstation versions if no other option is available to you.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Um the best version is the DS version due to all the added content. If that isn't a selling point, and you have the money/hardware for it then the SNES version is the best version.

You DO NOT, I repeat DOOOOOO NOOOOOOT want to play the PS1 version. You will literally feel the moments in your life leaving your body irretrievably in the eternity that exists while it loads, and loads, and loads.

Its not like its rendering anything sophisticated, its probably only a tiny bit of data per battle or within the menus but it takes an average of 20 seconds each time. You hit the menu button on accident, you will want to kick yourself. Assuming you did it on purpose you may well forget why you even wanted to look at the menu to begin with. I found myself not even wanting to look at new equipment because I knew I'd have to take 5 minutes to equip it.

Somehow I managed to finish it one time on the PS1 version because I wanted to see the newly added anime cutscenes. They were pretty cool but I went right back to the SNES version until the DS one was released if I ever got the urge to play it again.

There was no damn way I had the patience to get all 18 or so endings on that PS1 version.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
haha, yeah the PS1/PSN versions are really, really bad. I remember I was so excited when I was able to secure my Final Fantasy Chronicles/Anthology collections on Playstation back in the day (I didn't own my own copies on the SNES), only to find out that the emulation was marred by the horrible loading times. I thought maybe theses issues were fixed on the PSN releases, so I purchased FFVI to test, but sadly it's just as bad as the disc version. Sloppy work if you ask me, surely they could have fixed this on the digital releases. That would be awesome actually, to have all the FF games gathered on one console. But as it is now, the old FF games and Chrono Trigger is almost unplayable on the Playstation releases.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
You might want to go ahead and add the DS version. It has all the extra content the PS1 version does but with no loading times, which seemed to be the main problem with that.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Do you still have your DS? Then go ahead and get another copy of the DS version.

Otherwise, I heard about how the PS1 version has really long loading times, so I guess the SNES version is probably your best bet at that point.

Ryu890

May 28, 2011
Gracias for the help. Unfortunately, for my purposes, the DS version won't cut it. (Like I said, I'm recording this playthrough, and I only have a Dazzle.) But when it comes to anime cutscenes vs decent load times, I think I can do without the former. ^^;