Poll: Circle borders or Square nudes?

Gauche

Aug 16, 2016
Lots of web designs these days use border-radius to "crop" user avatars into circles as oppose to regular ol' squares

Which do you prefer?

Avatars are such a key component in how one is perceived on the net. To alter them for design purposes is just rude in my book. Its not like they are converting the image into a circular file image. No data is being saved as the whole square image loads in. Why not let the User choose their preferred border frame of choice? I suppose the site wouldn't look uniformed though...

Circles change the focus of the image to the center. In the above gif two whole rings are cut off by the "cropping". For shame!

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
That's easy, provide space enough for the square and let the USER decide which they prefer.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Depends entirely on what is within the avatar borders.

My first avatar on here was designed from the get-go as a circle, depicting a representation of my ..you know.. Avatar. With a capital A.

My second avatar image is a galaxy, which would look stupid in any other format then a rectangle.

So..context matters?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Personally, from your example, the ending close up doesn't work in the circle for me at all but the rest of it looks good. So I'd agree, context matters, including the animation

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Holy cow- I was convinced this would be a wild west thread. But you're serious?

If the important elements are visible, it doesn't matter. At all. Personally I'd go for circle because it's used less often, and therefore stands out more. It really does not matter. Even if nubbed corners are overused to death, you can even get away with using those if you really want to.

Apr 17, 2009
In the example given, the square works best, but I'm fairly sure you could switch that round an find one where the circle works better. Personally I'd go for Gauche's nubbed corner suggestion

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
you can fit the equivalent circle inside a square.
you can edit your square avatar slot to be a circle without issue.
the square you can fit inside a circular avatar slot is smaller than the equivalent square.
you can edit your circular avatar to be a square at a loss of resolution.

square avatar slots secure objectively superior versatility.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
It really depends on the avatar itself.
With my current one, I don't mind it if it's a circle, actually doesn't look the best in a square as the background isn't transparent.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Square please. I can make the edges rounded off if I want to, I don't see why it has to be forced like some websites.

Gauche

Aug 16, 2016
Silentpony said:
Pfft! Scrubs, the lot of ya'! All true Avatar havers use Octagons and Mobius Strips.

gigastar said:
Why are people afraid of crisp, clean corners?
It all makes sense now

Poetic Nova said:
It really depends on the avatar itself.
With my current one, I don't mind it if it's a circle, actually doesn't look the best in a square as the background isn't transparent.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Depends on how well the shape fits within the surrounding design.

I personally have no preference and don't care about corners being cut in a circular avatar, if my picture doesn't fit well in a circular form then I'll look for one that does fit.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
It really depends on the image being used. I don't think mine would look very good if it was put into a circle. In your example however, I don't think anything is really lost since the main focus is on Sonic.