Poll: CISPA is back, do you care?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Bills like theese cause a recation not unlike a human immune response on the internet.

And like an immune response, once the initial infection has been purged, a vigilant group will be left behind to sound the alarm once it comes again.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Vegosiux said:
snip for space

conclave of death eaters from Horsehead Nebula
That was really funny.

OT: I agree completely, there needs to be a system in place that allows the government to crack down on malicious internet users out there doing bad things. But the bill in question allows circumvention of illegal search and seizure. It allows the government the power to essentially spy on it's citizens without a reasonable cause. They would be able to inquire about your internet activity, and companies would have to comply and hand over your personal information without a warrant.

The actual language of the bill is linked below:
http://www.rules.house.gov/Media/file/PDF_112_2/LegislativeText/CPRT-112-HPRT-RU00-HR3523.pdf

The reason I started this thread was to drum up some opposition to the bill. Hopefully people will get active.

Apr 5, 2008
Church185 said:
KingsGambit said:
How could it potentially affect you?
It doesn't, unless I move there. In the same way that the UK RIP bill doesn't directly affect Americans. It's worrying that the so-called land of free speech and amendment this, that and the other is hoping to legally spy on and take privacy away from its citizens.

But we're used to having our personal rights taken away and abused by the govmt. here in the UK with nary a grumble nor a whimper, so it's about time another supposed bastion of democracy and freedom gets the same treatment! :)
I was really curious about if it would affect other people or not (since our country likes to think of themselves as the global police force).

I wonder if they would be able to get information from companies that aren't based in the united states? For instance, I don't think they couldn't get IP addresses of users who frequent The Pirate Bay, because that company isn't based in the US.
In a way, you are right. The way the FBI raided Megaupload in New Zealand, a country in which they do not have authority, raises many questions. Not to mention the instances of a little bullying by Corporate America to get UK (and other) citizens extradited [http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/student-who-ran-tv-website-in-extradition-battle-with-us-6266374.html] for prosecution there. But apart from these headlines, in general we're as beholden to US laws as Americans are to ours.

One interesting one to note (not that I particularly care), is last years spate of companies updating EULA's to take away your rights to bring a class action law suit against them (Sony, EA/Origin, Steam). That term is against EU law so over (Sony, EA/Origin, Steam), technically we can still do that, while Americans cannot. Another interesting one [http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2012/07/04/curia-digital-distribution/1] was set by precedent, also last year, declaring sale of second-hand digital goods legal in the EU. What this means for Steam games is anyone's guess but technically we are legally permitted to resell our digital goods, regardless of terms in any EULA.

Obviously this doesn't include breaking the law whilst visiting on holiday, but I'm sure that goes without saying.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Fact is that if this thing passed a lot of businesses would just move out of the US and there economy would just take a huge hit. They really cannot afford to let this pass it will hurt everyone more than help.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
aba1 said:
Fact is that if this thing passed a lot of businesses would just move out of the US and there economy would just take a huge hit. They really cannot afford to let this pass it will hurt everyone more than help.
I'm not so sure, a lot of companies are supporting it this time.

http://readwrite.com/2013/03/11/cispa-supporters-opponents-and-you

Sep 15, 2012
I honestly believe it's another one of the NWO matters meaning it's going to happen no matter what. People may think they have rights and a say in matters but money has power over people and some people have lots of money.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
Don't they remember what happened last time? They're just going to piss off the whole damn internet again then history will repeat itself. I swear these people are idiots.