Poll: Civ 4-My Darkest Hour, please advise?

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
I've never played Civilization before, but I can't understand how a game got so popular if it has such stupid balancing. Tech advantage doesn't effect combat? The fuck is that?

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Omikron009 said:
I've never played Civilization before, but I can't understand how a game got so popular if it has such stupid balancing. Tech advantage doesn't effect combat? The fuck is that?
No it does. It's just that a bunch of other factors also effect combat. Also it would be pretty unbalanced if a player with even a slight tech advantage was capable of obliterating the enemy completely.

Though it still feels ridiculous when a solider with a longbow can take down a (albeit weakened) helicopter.

Kstreitenfeld said:
Wow I've never played a Civ game before but this thread has me enthralled.
It's an interesting game. This thread reminded how much fun I had with it, even if I do suck. In fact I just finished playing a game right now.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
If this kind of thing comes up again just bring all forces to one city, preferably the major manufacturing city, and hold out until you have about 10 to 1 outnumbering them or a nuke. I may not be the best at that game, but I know how to win a war.

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
Lots of low level defensive units in and around your cities. Cities defense bonus, plus a veteran defensive unit (think archer) bonus, can add up considerably and your archer may be able to fend off up to three attacks per turn.

If you have the money bribe them off your back for a while, but avoid large conflicts with more than one computer. Don't fuck around with allies. There are way too many contributing factors to them actually being helpful.

Spiner909

Dec 3, 2009
Well...damn. I survived the war, but I didn't win...with around 30 turns left to finish the game, I launched my spaceship, with the Romans launching one 2 turns after me. 1 turn from victory, I kid you not...Africa wins a cultural victory. Oh, the irony.

Even worse, I got the worse ranking possible! Screw that! I did great!