Poll: College Research Paper Survery - Nuclear Power

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Indifferent. I mean, it's not dangerous but it produces toxic waste that we can't easily get rid of. So until I learn more I'll be on the fence.

May 28, 2009
Kollega said:
- Chernobyl reactor was outrageously badly designed. Normal reactors don't go "BOOM" all of sudden.
Yup, it was obsolete before they'd even finished building it.

OT: I support nuclear power.

I also remember that there does exist the process of producing waste-free, 100%-efficient nuclear energy - we just haven't found it yet.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Shadow of The East said:
No.

Simply because we'll run out of places to dump all the waste eventually.
We don't dump nuclear waste where it is I'm not sure, but if i had a guess it is still at the plants being stored and consdiering how long all of those plants have running they still aren't having a problem so not that much of it.

We built a big hole in the ground to put all of it in however no one wants the stuff transported through their town no matter how little the risk so they have closed down that hole in the ground because it is completely useless.

However if more plants are built we might start doing what France does which is recycle the waste to make more Uranium. It doesn't get rid of all of the waste but a decent amount and Uranium is depleatable. Then we still have the problem of citizens afraid of a waste getting transported from place to place.

starfox444 said:
I support nuclear power, but it's part of my belief that we need to transition between our sources of energy. For now we're stuck with fossil fuels while we learn to utilise renewable sources, nuclear power can help us when the fossil fuels are starting to run low.
Fossil Fuels are running low, I read in a textbook that we have about 50 years worth of oil if we continue growing in demand. China and most of the world are still continuing to add just as many fossil fueled... things(cars, power plants, homes, etc).

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
KillerMidget said:
Kollega said:
- Chernobyl reactor was outrageously badly designed. Normal reactors don't go "BOOM" all of sudden.
Yup, it was obsolete before they'd even finished building it.

OT: I support nuclear power.

I also remember that there does exist the process of producing waste-free, 100%-efficient nuclear energy - we just haven't found it yet.
Its called fusion, the Hadrian collider is partially working on that.

junkmanuk

Apr 7, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Why do people keep coming here for statistical sampling? It will always give you horribly inaccurate results...not to mention completely skews the entire sampling process...you must be a freshman...learn to do real statistics. I dont know any undergrad mentor who would accept this garbage.

As for your question. Yes.
I don't give a shit, I just need some sort of survey. I don't really care how accurate or inaccurate it is. If I go on the street and ask random people I'll get horribly inaccurate results... It is for an english class and I'm a CIS major, plus my teacher can barely figure out how to turn on a damn computer...
If you have no interest in the integrity of the results then you obviously don't intend to analyse or draw any meaningful conclusions from them, thus you could just as easily make up a load of numbers and submit them instead...

Also, in actual fact your results would probably be more accurate if you asked random people on the street because you would not be surveying a technology biased demographic that this site no doubt comprises.

Oh, and yes - nuclear power is good.

The_Decoy

Nov 22, 2009
Yes, so long as waste disposal is managed more effectively. It is cleaner than fossil fuels and can't be used for much else (unlike oil, which is necessary for the creation of plastics and polymers and so on).

It is not a final solution, but a useful stepping stone between current and renewable technologies.

Maquette

Robot Oeuf
Sep 10, 2009
I don't support nuclear power, I believe that green energy sources should be explored.

Moonmover

Feb 12, 2009
This is an awful place to take a technology-related poll, since we're all video gamers and therefore obviously pro-technology.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Hopeless Bastard said:
Shadow of The East said:
No.

Simply because we'll run out of places to dump all the waste eventually.
This is actually the one valid argument against nuclear power. But its also completely fucking moot. Nuclear waste is recyclable! We're running around digging holes under death valley and storing it in tanks when it could be (theoretically) endlessly recycled back into fuel grade material. Except recycling nuclear waste is banned under the nuclear proliferation treaty, as the same process can create weapon's grade material.

A piece of fucking paper is stopping us from having endlessly renewable energy.
France actually recycles all of its nuclear waste, i think the recycling thats prohibited is weapons grade uranium. It is also not completely recyclable but any amount of reduction of waste and an increase in supply would be better then waiting for it to half life in several thousands of years. We also don't store it under death valley we were supposed to but thats not gonna happen... politics.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
The_Decoy said:
Yes, so long as waste disposal is managed more effectively. It is cleaner than fossil fuels and can't be used for much else (unlike oil, which is necessary for the creation of plastics and polymers and so on).

It is not a final solution, but a useful stepping stone between current and renewable technologies.
Well we can't go fallout and make nuke powered cars but once its made into electricity we could power electric cars and anything else that runs on electricity.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Fission power is the best way to power the near future. Generation 3 and 4 powerstations are on the way, Generation 4 being able to produce power without waste. Our society can power its self without fossil fuels with nuclear power. We should save our oil for manufacturing plastics.

Wintio

Jul 29, 2009
I agree with what seems to be a majority of people here that nuclear power is a good idea, particularly if used as a solution to tide us over while we develop more sustainable power.

Nuclear waste is recyclable! We're running around digging holes under death valley and storing it in tanks when it could be (theoretically) endlessly recycled back into fuel grade material. Except recycling nuclear waste is banned under the nuclear proliferation treaty, as the same process can create weapon's grade material.

A piece of fucking paper is stopping us from having endlessly renewable energy.
I hadn't heard that before, if true it certainly makes you wonder if it could be our renewable energy, but i digress. I think nuclear power should be our power source of choice over the next 50-100 years as we look into increasing the efficiency of solar, wind, geothermal, possibly even tidal. At the very least it's preferable to coal (cheaper too =D).

juraigamer

Sep 3, 2008
Nuclear power is current the best option for us, in terms of powering areas without other non-fossil fuel powering sources. It's the cleanest, safest, and oddly enough the cheapest.

The main thing keeping it from happening is all the ignorant people who are scared it would explode, which with the current power plant model is actually completely impossible. Even a leak would be 100% contained.

Other sources of power, like fusion, should be focused on since fusion is basically the holy grail of power sources.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
There are 2 sides to this argument: The environmentalists, and the people who oppose nuclear power. The people who oppose Nuclear power may think that they are environmentalists, but in reality they just find the bumper stickers on there car fashionable, in spite of the terrible effect it would have on our environment.

Nuclear power is the most viable green energy source available. Opposition to nuclear power means 1 of 2 things: Either you want to encourage the burning of more fossil fuels, which is literally thousands of times more dangerous, or you think that it is feasible to just not use electricity, the death toll and consequences to our culture of which would be similar to nuclear war. Tidal and Fusion are certainly what we need to focus on for the long term, but nuclear gives us plenty of leeway in getting to that totally renewable end game. And actually, with recyclable waste, and uranium from sea water, if tidal power and fusion wern't viable for soem reason, Nuclear would be a pretty good green power source, almost indefinately. The real advantage of Fusion and Tidal is not so much safty or renewability, its that keeping them going would require so little upkeep. So yes, I support nuclear power. If you don't, your quite simply more concerned with membership in a cultural movement then you are with the enviornment. Or working for an oil company.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
People always talk about Oil Companies sabotaging attempts at alternative power and whatnot.

That's yer nuclear power right there. Everyone's shit terrified of it, there's a massive amount of misinformation spread by countless mediums about so called "dangers" of nuclear power. Whenever anyone tries to build a reactor it's instantly met with mass opposition from huge numbers of people.

Because of what? Chernobyl? It would not surprise me if the combined effects of every nuclear disaster in history, including the use of atomic weaponry, pales in comparison to the ecological damage done by fossil fuels.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Speaking as a chem major, I simply cannot understand why anybody would be opposed to nuclear power. There isn't much waste generated, a reactor cannot explode like a nuke, and no CO2 is released. It is the best way to produce electricity (after solar, wind, and water), and by far the most efficient (in terms of fuel needed, safety, environmental impact, price, cooldown and startup time, possible locations, etc)

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
junkmanuk said:
Also, in actual fact your results would probably be more accurate if you asked random people on the street because you would not be surveying a technology biased demographic that this site no doubt comprises.
My take on that is biased. Either way, you get biased results due to people around. Here the majority of people are gamers. Where I live is the buckle of the bible belt. Lets say I was going to poll on something, say abortion, I would most likely get different results due to the type of people around. On the internet seemed to be more diverse than locally. Plus I've seen multiple people mention Chernobyl, and most people around here don't even know what it was...

But, yeah, you are right, I could just make up numbers. We do need to print stuff or something, so was thinking of just screen shotting the poll and printing that.

xmetatr0nx said:
Hence why i said learn to do real stats...and its good to know youre doing a thoroughly grade A paper here.
The guide lines the teacher gave us for writing the paper... well... gathering this "information" is more research than what most the topics involve. It is more like an opinion paper than a research paper, but she does really care I guess. Most the information I've got for the paper was from websites (not wikipedia) and books, but like I said, I needed a poll. And it really is just a general question, not some rocket science stuff.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
thethingthatlurks said:
It is the best way to produce electricity (after solar, wind, and water)
And with those three, you have problems.
Solar - Would figure it would only work during the day and effectiveness would be dependent on the weather.
Wind - Not always there.
Water - Location must be near a large enough current.

Right?

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Assassin Xaero said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Solar - Would figure it would only work during the day and effectiveness would be dependent on the weather.
Wind - Not always there.

Right?
Best in terms on environmental impact. Sorry, should have said so...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Kollega said:
More like a dude who was in charge screwed up. Nowadays everything is 99.99999999999999999% bulletproof. With tons of fail-checks, security, back-up plans.

Assassin Xaero said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Wind - Not always there.

Right?
Solar - true, also works best only close to the equator. Countries north of Germany/Poland can't really hope for the solar power.
Wind - ...actually, that's pretty popular here. My dad even was in charge of transporting one of those giant mindmills to the North, where there is always wind in the plains.
Water - we have 2 of them. The best would be a waterfall... hey, we can always makes some artificial ones.