Poll: Comparing Halo 4 to Halo 1

Alhazred

May 10, 2012
I've been playing Halo 4 for a few months, and for the most part it's been good fun. The new guns are satisfying and the new enemies are fun to fight. Overall, I found it about as good as Halo Reach; 343 Industries have settled into the green armor of the Master Chief rather well.

After blasting through the campaign on Legendary and looking around for something else to do, I found a copy of Halo: Combat Evolved Aniversary (the HD remake of the original) in Game. Curious to see how far the series had progressed, I played through the campaign over the course of a weekend. So, without further ado, here are my observations.

1. Difficulty. This is the big one. While I was able to blast through Halo 4 on Legendary with only a few hiccups (fucking scattergun knights!) Halo 1 had me flinging controllers multiple times on Heroic. I think the difficulty stems from a lack of tactical options. You can't hijack or EMP covenant vehicles. The Carbine and Battle Rifle haven't been invented yet, leaving you trying to snipe with your little Magnum (no disservice meant to the pistol, it still saved my ass on multiple occasions). In Halo 4, there always seems to be a power weapon lying around to deal with challenging fights, whereas Halo shoves you into nasty fights with just you standard arsenal. Checkpoints seem to be stretched further apart in Halo 1 too.

2. Guns! As previously mentioned, the BR and Carbine are absent, so you're stuck with either the Plasma Rifle or Assault Rifle. I've always been a fan of the Plasma Rifle, and was dissapointed to see it replaced in Halo 4 with an inferior version. As for the Assault Rifle, there seems to be a shit-ton of ammo for it (massive magazine, dead marines with ammo everywhere, and then the Flood show up carrying it). Pity it takes about 10 seconds to kill anything with it. The Rocket Launcher and Sniper Rifle are pretty much the same insta-killing goodness, and ammo for them seems to be more plentiful than in Halo 4. The one gun that really surprised me was the Shotgun. From being a fairly rare weapon in later Halo games (and totally outclassed by the Scattershot and Halo 4), I ended up using it far more in the latter half of Halo 1 than the crappy Assault Rifle; mowing down Flood in one hit makes fighting them almost bearable.

3. Bad Guys! The Covenant are pretty much the same in Halo 1 and Halo 4. No Brutes, Drones or Engineers, just the trinity of Grunts, Elites and Jackals, with the ocassional Hunter pair thrown in. Pew-pew lasers and plasma 'nades, buisness as usual. The big area of contrast is between the Prometheans and Flood. After 3 games of cursing at those space zombies, are the Prometheans any better? They both epitomise different fighting styles. Whereas the flood love their Zerg-rush, and rely on weight of numbers, the Prometheans prioritise defence. Their Watchers can shield fellow Prometheans, and flee when you shoot them. The Knights can't be headshot, have shields, and teleport to escape you. When they die, they briefly leave behind a spark that can be ressurected by a Watcher Even their cannon-fodder Crawlers have decent defence, meaning they need to be headshot. The Prometheans are less single-note than the Flood (whose tactics generally boil dwon to: grab shotgun, shoot flood while moving backwards), but they can be just as frustratiing, with their habit to slip away just when you thought you had them. Ironically, the shotgun is as good for taking them out as the flood; a couple of quick shots a close range can catch a Knight before the bastard teleports away.

That's enough wall-o'-text for now; I might add some more points later. I always find comparing games in the same series to be entertaining, provided one can get past the Nostalgia Filter!

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Alhazred said:
The new guns are satisfying and the new enemies are fun to fight.
I'm going to disagree on the guns. I found them quite boring since they don't really bring anything new to the table, especially the Forerunner weapons.

The Boltshot feels like a Plasma Pistol with a less useful secondary fire. Suppressor = Assault Rifle/Storm Rifle. Scattershot = Shotgun. Light Rifle = Marksman/Carbine. Binary Rifle = Sniper Rifle. Railgun = Spartan Laser. The few exceptions are the Pulse Grenade (which I find much inferior to its counterparts), the Incineration Cannon (kinda fun, but you don't get to use it a lot in the campaign) and the pistol that fires sticky bombs (really fun, but also rarely encountered).

They're slight variations on weapons that already exist. There might be small differences in in damage, rate of fire or effective range, but they feel pretty much interchangeable with their counterparts and barring the exceptions mentioned, do not appreciably expand your array of tactical options. It all seems rather homogenized.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
chimpzy said:
Alhazred said:
The new guns are satisfying and the new enemies are fun to fight.
I'm going to disagree on the guns. I found them quite boring since they don't really bring anything new to the table, especially the Forerunner weapons.

The Boltshot feels like a Plasma Pistol with a less useful secondary fire. Suppressor = Assault Rifle/Storm Rifle. Scattershot = Shotgun. Light Rifle = Marksman/Carbine. Binary Rifle = Sniper Rifle. Railgun = Spartan Laser. The few exceptions are the Pulse Grenade (which I find much inferior to its counterparts), the Incineration Cannon (kinda fun, but you don't get to use it a lot in the campaign) and the pistol that fires sticky bombs (really fun, but also rarely encountered).

They're slight variations on weapons that already exist. There might be small differences in in damage, rate of fire or effective range, but they feel pretty much interchangeable with their counterparts and barring the exceptions mentioned, do not appreciably expand your array of tactical options. It all seems rather homogenized.
I think it's geared more towards being like combat evolved. Start out with basic weapons and then come up with far more creative ones in future games. (This is 343's first game, cut them a break)

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Terminate421 said:
chimpzy said:
I think it's geared more towards being like combat evolved. Start out with basic weapons and then come up with far more creative ones in future games. (This is 343's first game, cut them a break)
Possibly yes, and there's probably the matter of multiplayer balance to take into account.

Still, they missed an excellent opportunity to put in some inventive weapons, especially since they did a decent job differentiating the Prometheans from the Covenant/Flood.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Having played all of the Halo games and being a fan of the franchise since the first, this is how I would rater tham from worst to best.

Halo: Wars < Halo 2 < Halo 3 = Halo 4 < Halo: Reach < Halo: CE < Halo: ODST

As you can see, Halo 4 for me rates pretty much in the middle. For the most part I think it preserved the core of the Halo experience well enough, and I approved of many of the new ideas that 343 seemed to be bringing to the table. However, in some way I thought it took steps backwards, and while I approved of the sentiment of the new ideas, they failed to capitalise on all of them.

If the campaign had been more than 6 poxy hours long, then that might have made all the difference. It would have given them the time to squeeze everything they could out of Cortana's sub-plot. It would have given them the time to give the Didact the same kind of gravitas as a villain than previous villains of the series, and it would have given them the time to flesh out supporting characters such as Palmer and Lasky a lot more (Yes, I know they already made Forward Unto Dawn for Lasky, but seem as he appears in Halo 4 as pretty much a completely different character, with the events of FUD not being mentioned even once, that kind of fell flat). Also, when compared to Halo: CE/Halo 3's epic Warthog chases, Halo 2's ball-tightening final fight against Tartarus, and Halo: ODST/Reach's do-or-die last stands, Halo 4's quick-time event, faux boss fight ending was rather underwhelming.

That said; more character focus in the games finally tying it in to the rich expanded universe? Fuck yes! Continuation of the space combat from Reach? Fuck yes! Expanding the story even further with Spartan Ops? Fuck yes!

I want to see 343 build on the good ideas that they had in Halo 4 and really stretch them to their full potential, which I don't think entirely happened in this latest installment. However, for their first outing they've definitely done enough to keep me interested in the franchise for the foreseeable future.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
"little Magnum"? The Pistol was by and far the best gun in Halo 1, the only weapon I would ever pick over it would be the shotgun

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
Halo Combat Evolved cause when I bought it I also got a copy of Halo Custom Edition. That shit was the funnest thing ever, playing Yoyo island for long periods of time, doing co op campaigns, arena maps.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
I haven't got to Halo 4 yet, but I'm in that camp of people who disliked Halo 1 immensely (The singleplayer, I played the hell out of multiplayer at LANs), so I'll probably prefer 4.

And, as Blue Rider pointed out "Little Magnum"? You mean that thing that frequently crops up as one of the most overpowered weapons of all time?

Burntpopcarn

May 29, 2011
I liked Halo 4 more, and while all the perks and killstreaks and other fancy things that are in there are despised by the "true" Halo fans, I'd say that 98% of us put up with it, because Halo 4 was pretty darn amazing. I agree that Halo 1 was pretty difficult. On a side note, the Magnum isn't that little, it's an all-powerful hand cannon. I've mowed down hordes upon hordes of bad guys with the magnum.

The Selkie

May 25, 2012
Loonyyy said:
I'm in that camp of people who disliked Halo 1 immensely
It must be a pretty small camp. I don't think I've ever spoke to a gamer who didn't enjoy combat evolved's campaign (at the time, compared to modern games it obviously feels dated).

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
The Selkie said:
Loonyyy said:
It must be a pretty small camp. I don't think I've ever spoke to a gamer who didn't enjoy combat evolved's campaign (at the time, compared to modern games it obviously feels dated).
Not that small. Shamus Young's said a few choice things about it, if I recall correctly, Penny Arcade had more than a few jibes at the expense of the repetition of linear corridors.

I actually liked the game for a good length, especially the beach landing, which is a brilliant scene, but the linear corridors when you get locked in the forerunner ruins over, and over again? No fun, lazy assed design. Padded's the word.

Halo 2 managed it much better. There were still a fair whack of ruins, but they felt interesting and unique, rather than copypasted.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Loonyyy said:
The Selkie said:
Loonyyy said:
Not that small. Shamus Young's said a few choice things about it, if I recall correctly, Penny Arcade had more than a few jibes at the expense of the repetition of linear corridors.

I actually liked the game for a good length, especially the beach landing, which is a brilliant scene, but the linear corridors when you get locked in the forerunner ruins over, and over again? No fun, lazy assed design. Padded's the word.

Halo 2 managed it much better. There were still a fair whack of ruins, but they felt interesting and unique, rather than copypasted.
I remember it as the first shooter I ever played that wasn't just an endless succession of corridors. I remember playing that second level in the hills where you're looking for other survivors and being like 'holy shit, I can just explore all of this?' Flank round the enemy and what have you...

So yeah, some levels were corridory, but overall the game was leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else at the time.

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
Halo CE.
Marty makes the best music.
The level variety (in terms of environment) was great, despite certain design choices being questionable.
The story was simple on the surface, yet complex if you scoured for details.
The development was hectic, adventurous, desperate and fun (was an RTS, a TPS and had dinosaurs at one point).

To me, all it's missing is a battle-rifle (though, doesn't the pistol double as that anyway?) and the vehicle stopping ability of the plasma pistol. For it's time, the game was amazing and by today's standards it's still pretty great. Think of if a small dev team was able to put out something like Halo CE today (albeit with better graphics due to the advent of more advanced technology).

I'm one of those people that think that the main arc should have concluded with Halo 3 (Reach still being released, of course). I played through Halo 4 feeling as though something was really "off", and in retrospect I think it might be the fact that it exists in the first place (ignoring some of the mechanics and the wonky story). At it's core, it's a shameless cash-in. A safe financial investment that encompasses very few risks when compared to the original. Halo 3 ended quite nicely, as though Bungie knew when enough was enough and a goodbye was appropriate (though the actual goodbye came with Reach).

That's more or less my assessment of the two.
Not even really touching upon the multiplayer aspect, which took a bit of a nosedive in Reach/4.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Honestly CE has a different feel than any other Halo game. Even in the original trilogy the Halo 2 and Halo 3 have far more in common with each other than they do with CE. It makes them hard to compare.

CE was far closer to your average arena shooter at the time. The way you moved, the way the sandbox was balanced, how the multiplayer was setup, they all had a different feel from future titles.

In terms of campaign weaponry, CE was probably the most balanced in the series. Just about every weapon in the game had a use. It was really the multiplayer aspect that probably had a big effect on the future sandbox. By default you started with a Plasma Pistol(which was not to shabby back then) and you were supposed to pick up other weapons on the map to suit your playstyle: Close range AR, mid-range Plasma Rifle, Long range Pistol, etc. After picking up these more common weapons you fought over the more rare and powerful tools like the shotgun, Rockets, and sniper.

However the last minute code change that doubled the pistols power to a 3 shot. So originally it was intended to be a longer range weapon that is less effective up close. However the change to the pistol changed how the game played. Rather than spawn players with a more limited weapon and go from their, players chose to spawn with a very versatile weapon and picked up other weapons to complement the abilities of the pistol rather as primary weapons in their own right.

Fast-Forward to Halo 2 and now you had a weapon designed to be all purpose(the battle rifle), and the other weapons were relegated to secondary roles of "cleaning up" or shield breaking. This ended up applying to both the multiplayer and campaign. The flow of each subsequent was changed fairly drastically compared to CE.

Despite sharing the same lineage, the following Halo games were all quite different from CE. So as much as I really love the CE campaign(though it has plenty of flaws as well) and can't really say it is better than any of the others, just different.

Halo 4 is probably one of my favorite campaigns of the series. Not that I had any big problems with the others, but I have already gone back and played through the single-player multiple times on Heroic simply because I enjoyed it so much.

Elemental

Apr 4, 2009
Halo 1 is by far the better game, and it also had it's crosshair in the fucking center instead of the bottom of the damn screen.

katana-409

Apr 28, 2010
Certain aspects of Halo 4 feel broken, but I've enjoyed Halo 4 more than CE. Still not better than 3 though.