Poll: Conservative and Liberal Gamers

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Note: This kind of thread has been attempted before, but I believe that I have created a more comprehensive and appropriate usage of the words "Conservative" and "Liberal" when applied to Gaming.

Lately I've had this idea running around in my head, that when it comes Video Games, those we might call "Hardcore Gamers" (which make up the majority of gaming forum users), are notably Conservative in the gaming sense.

What do I mean by that exactly? I'll explain, but first take two definitions from Dictionary.com

1. Conservative: disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.

2. Liberal: favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.

These two definitions are usually compared as opposites, and are not only applicable to politics, but to the Gaming Industry as well.

A Conservative gamer is either a PC or Console gamer, one who prefers his standard setup, be it the WSAD+Mouse, or Game Controller with Dual Joysticks. He/She disregards any other setup as insufficient and dismisses motion controls as a "gimmick", and even sometimes harmful to gaming. They also dismiss 3D gaming (liberals may also dislike 3D, but for different reasons than the Conservative). A conservative gamer likes games that stick to formula, and prefers AAA titles to Indy games, such as Minecraft, mainly because of the prevalence of bugs and lesser Graphical quality. The Conservative Gamer also hates DRM, although individual stances on Piracy may vary. DRM is seen as a new, invasive problem that is threatening the Game industry, and the Conservative sees DRM as a bigger threat than the piracy it's supposed to be combating.

In a nutshell, the Conservative Gamer hates changes to the real-world parts of elements of gaming.

The Liberal Gamer embraces motion controls, often embraces 3D and other steps towards the virtualization of video games. The liberal gamer hopes to someday achieve a realistic Virtual Reality game system, and is willing to play with the systems that he/she hopes will serve as stepping stones along the way. A Liberal Gamer plays both Indy titles and AAA titles, and often does so out of disillusionment with the developer establishment. Liberal Gamers also do not mind DRM, and feel that the DRM is either not really that invasive, or that the developers should be allowed the right to use DRM any way they wish. After all, they willingly bought a product. Also, for Liberal Gamers, Graphics are not as much of an issue.

TLDR; Conservative: Dislikes change to gaming environment, Dislikes DRM, Dislikes Indy Games, Graphics are very important. Liberal: Embraces motion controls, 3D, Indy gaming, Does not mind DRM, Does not mind lower-res Graphics

I am not trying to fit everyone into two categories, but most Gamers that I have read in forums like this one tend to mostly fit into one of these sides, particularly the Conservative category.

So my question to you is, based upon the definitions of Conservative and Liberal that I have presented to you, which do you most identify yourself as?

Also, feel free to suggest some criticisms to my definitions.

Edit: Keep in mind that I do not expect people to match either definition 100%, but that I feel that at least with most Gamers I have encountered, they rarely are split even 50-50.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
I align more closely with the liberal gamer. I'm not really certain if/why this classification is necessary. The only part of the liberal I don't agree with is the 3D, but no one ever fully fits any classification.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
Eh, these are pretty stupid definitions in my opinion.
It's not difficult, nor rare, for someone to be open to pushing the medium further and embracing new features while being against intrusive DRM.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Something tells me this thread is going to be incredibly one sided. But whatever, I'll bite.

I guess I'm sort of mostly a Conservative gamer myself. I'm not really into motion controls myself, but I don't see why they would be harmful to the gaming industry. Just so long as it doesn't replace traditional gaming I'm fine with it.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
j0frenzy said:
I align more closely with the liberal gamer. I'm not really certain if/why this classification is necessary. The only part of the liberal I don't agree with is the 3D, but no one ever fully fits any classification.
agreed. The classification isn't really necessary, but then again it isn't necessary for politics either. This is an empirically derived classification (I noticed that people tend to have particular bunches of opinions)

But you're right, rarely does a person fit the whole classification perfectly.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Where do Libertarians fit in?

Regardless, I'd say that politically, I'm more conservative, and that as a gamer, I'm also the same. Indie titles don't bother me, I just rarely enjoy them. Minecraft is ok, but I still much prefer Mass Effect and Fallout NV to them.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I'm an artsy fartsy retro gamer who plays SNES games on a 3D TV right before going to play a shiny new 3DS then coming online to wank share my thoughts about how deep and meaningful my last playthrough of a game was and how much it ~changed my life.

Take a wild guess.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
CM156 said:

Regardless, I'd say that politically, I'm more conservative, and that as a gamer, I'm also the same.
Libertarianism is a political philosophy focused on freedom. Freedom is not really an issue in this context.

thathaloguy117

Mar 17, 2011
Conservative (politically and videogamely) Except you got one thing wrong, Conservatives change as long as it is within reason or limits of whatever worked before. Also I love Minecraft.

CM156_v1legacy

Mar 23, 2011
zehydra said:
CM156 said:

Regardless, I'd say that politically, I'm more conservative, and that as a gamer, I'm also the same.
Libertarianism is a political philosophy focused on freedom. Freedom is not really an issue in this context.
Well, you have conservatives and liberals, why can't you let us in?

If I had to say, gaming Libertarians enjoy all forms of gaming, but detest "innovation" that comes from the top without practical application.

They want gaming to be free to evolve, but without the "suits" messing things up

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
this is pretty one sided.

I'm open for positive change that moves this medium forward.

I'm conservative btw.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
CM156 said:
zehydra said:
CM156 said:

If I had to say, gaming Libertarians enjoy all forms of gaming, but detest "inovation" that comes from the top without practical application.

They want gaming to be free to evolve, but without the "suits" messing things up
My definitions come from a combinations of pre-existing definitions and people that I have observed. I get the relation of the second part of your definition, but why do Libertarian Gamers enjoy all forms of gaming?

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Burningsok said:
this is pretty one sided.

I'm open for positive change that moves this medium forward.

I'm conservative btw.
well, what would you consider moving the medium forward?

CM156_v1legacy

Mar 23, 2011
zehydra said:
CM156 said:
zehydra said:
CM156 said:

If I had to say, gaming Libertarians enjoy all forms of gaming, but detest "inovation" that comes from the top without practical application.

My definitions come from a combinations of pre-existing definitions and people that I have observed. I get the relation of the second part of your definition, but why do Libertarian Gamers enjoy all forms of gaming?

Because they are more relaxed and don't view gaming as something that needs to be all about competition. The idea is that they don't bind themsleves to one single gaming idea.

My point is that they want to see things evolve, but think that far too often, it does so in the wrong way. So they?re willing to support the correct way when it happens in order to give incentive.

Kevin7557

May 31, 2008
There is more than just conservative and liberal. An actual political graph has four areas. I would guess I'm a libertarian gamer, I play what I think is fun and I encourage development but love the classics as well.

The areas are Left (liberal), Right (Conservative), Up (Libertarian) Down (statist)

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I guess I'm more liberal, but I only really like motion controls and other "innovative" stuff so long as it's actually innovative and not just used to push crappy shovelware.

jackknife402

Aug 25, 2008
I'm an independent gamer, why don't you list that one? I play what I want, hate what I hate. My personal feelings lean more towards conservative gaming(and politics) but I take points from the liberal and add them to my baseline as well.

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
Not quite sure. I guess I'm mostly Liberal. I love change even within the same series, I wasn't one of those people throwing a fit since Dragon Age 2 was different from Origins. I also enjoy any type of games from 3D games, to Indy gaming, and many old, low-res, games. Yet while I don't have any preferred controller setup, especially since I play on multiple consoles, PC, and portables, I still hate motion controls and don't have a Wii because of that. I also hate DRM with a passion, up to and including Steam on most days.