Poll: Contraception

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
This may be an uncomfortable question and a strange place to ask it but, inspired by the How many people have you slept with? thread, I was just wondering what The Escapist's preferred method of contraception is. Alternatively, if you're not sexually active, what method you think you would prefer to use and why.

I suppose I should get the ball rolling. Personally, I prefer using the pill as I'm in a long-term relationship. If the sex is outside of a relationship with a person I completely trust or I miss a pill I'll obviously use condoms but I'm not a huge fan. I would consider the implant but I would be a little paranoid about it, I find it reassuring that I can take the pill everyday and know it's working and that I know exactly when to take precautions if I miss one.

Dec 14, 2009
Preferably the implant.

I used to use condoms as my sole method of contraception, but damn, it's not nearly as good as 'bare back'.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
The pill because I don't like using condoms.
I have been a bit silly with it recently though. Need to start getting into a rhythm again.
I wouldn't ever go to a club and fuck someone, but if I did I'd make sure he had a condom. God knows what someone you don't know has going on down there.

I went with my friend when she had the implant fitted (Anyone who doesn't know: the implant is a little band thing that is injected into your arm and releases the same hormones that the pill does to stop the babies from happening) I kid you not, the needle was about the size of my arm :| the syringe was about the same size as a straw.
I think I actually yelled, "Oh my fucking God, look at the size of that thing!!" and she started flailing and kicking out xD probably shouldn't have brought me along.

When I spoke to my doctors about it, he said there was a chance it could make my periods heavier and because my pill had already done a fabulous job of that, I didn't want to risk it ._.
They can make them lighter but knowing my luck it wouldn't.

Also my sister had a bad turn when she got the implant. Made her go funny or something, she had to have it taken out.

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
EeveeElectro said:
Also my sister had a bad turn when she got the implant. Made her go funny or something, she had to have it taken out.
I got that with one brand of the pill. I actually went crazy, it properly messed me up and almost ruined my relationship with my boyfriend.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I use condoms but I'm not a big fan of them. It's like taking a shower with a raincoat on.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
I'd use condoms but first I'll have to find a suitable mate. One of my friends used the withdrawal method, left a nice stain in the middle of another friends carpet.

If I was just into casual banging with no view of ever having children I'd have a vasectomy.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Condoms, usually. It's much easier to just wrap it up than to have my poor partner swallow weird hormones and whatnot. I feel that I can't really dictate what someone else should put down the hatch. It does feel rather weird, and it'd be better without, but it works.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Colour-Scientist said:
EeveeElectro said:
I got that with one brand of the pill. I actually went crazy, it properly messed me up and almost ruined my relationship with my boyfriend.
Mine sent me a bit loopy for the first few days. My whole body ached and I kept throwing up and going dizzy for three days straight. I started screaming and arguing with my boyfriend at the time for "making me do it for him" then eventually passed out at 9pm until 2am.
I was fine after that. Certainly not going to do that again any time soon >.<

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
I?m not sexually active, but I?d probably use a condom when the time comes. You know, I?ve never actually owned a condom, not even to masturbate with for practice. Some of my sexually inactive friends have got them and I believe they sell them free at this clinic/counselling place, but I just never felt the need to get one. *shrugs*

The withdrawal method just sounds so frustrating, though. Isn?t sex meant to be relaxing experience, rather than you panicking at the end because you have to pull out real fast and spunk on her stomach, ruining the moment?

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
it's not nearly as good as 'bare back'.
The worst bit is the awkward stopping and fumbling. Nothing kills the mood more.
EeveeElectro said:
Mine sent me a bit loopy for the first few days. My whole body ached and I kept throwing up and going dizzy for three days straight. I started screaming and arguing with my boyfriend at the time for "making me do it for him" then eventually passed out at 9pm until 2am.
I was fine after that. Certainly not going to do that again any time soon >.<
That sounds horrible, I never had any physical effects.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I use a method of contraception known as virginity.

It's 100% effective in preventing pregnancy. :D

purplecactus

Jun 25, 2012
Well, I'm on the pill, but that's because my hormones are making the rest of my body go kinda crazy. My preferred method of contraception (er, for that far off future date when I actually have sex with someone other than myself) is homosexuality. Told my doctor that when he tried to explain how the pill works as a contraceptive, he said congratulations, then looked really confused.

I've got a couple of friends who had the implant. One seems to be handling it fine, and the other had an almost insane change in temperament. She was a great laugh beforehand, now she's bitchy, grouchy, complains all the time, doesn't think twice about saying personal stuff that she knows is going to hurt... Yeah, pretty much treats everyone like crap now.

Going by what I've read here so far, I'm hoping it'll clear up and she'll get back to normal soon...

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Relish in Chaos said:
The withdrawal method just sounds so frustrating, though. Isn?t sex meant to be relaxing experience, rather than you panicking at the end because you have to pull out real fast and spunk on her stomach, ruining the moment?
Not to mention that fact that it, you know, isn't in any way reliable.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Ljs1121 said:

But I heard that if one consumes too much alcohol, the virginity contraceptive may fail.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
I've had real issues with condoms in the past. my girlfriends have tended to use hormonal treatments akin to the pill; injections every 3 or 4 months but I can't remember the name of the chemical. Curious that they both used the same method, come to think of it.

I always wondered why they never used IUDs. No hormonal problems and it's effective. If I was a girl I reckon I'd go for that.

If there was a pill for men I would take it.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Oh, this reminds me of something Jo brand said which I found funny because it happened to me.

'The contraceptive I tried was The Pill. Well it certainly worked because it made me put on a stone [14lbs] and nobody wanted to fuck me!'

XD

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
The Pill.
It was a bit of an irritation, I tried one pill that made me kind of depressed, and then I had to change it anyway because I'm always getting sick and I need antibiotics. So then I was on the injection and I got some nasty side effects from that, so now I'm on a different pill.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Ljs1121 said:

Not true , look at mary she was a virgin according to some religions! Not to turn this to a religious thread , just saying.

OT: my girlfriend uses the ring that she puts in her ... Thinggy .