Poll: Coop or competative

Choukou

Jan 23, 2008
Having just read the singleplayer or multiplayer poll post, I found myself thinking, 'well...the only games that I can really play for more than an hour or so are MMORPGs, but these are specific MMORPGs, ususally pay to play.' This can really be anything. It's singleplayer, in the form of soloing, and multiplayer coop in the form of grouping and competative in the form of PvP. Now I ususally go for the whole grouping PvE thing instead of the PvP (I'm really not that competative), because it's just a hell of a lot more fun gathering together and beating the crap out of some epic boss rather than getting unbelieveably pissed off that you just got 1-shotted for the 4th time by the same guy. So this leads me to believe I'm a coop gamer, which makes sense since I'm really quite looking forward to Left4Dead and truly wish there were more online coop games out there. Go figure! So what do you say? Which do you prefer, and why?

(I've searched the forums and can't find another one of these polls, so I posted it. But it surprises me that there hasn't been, which leads me to suspect there has been one. So I apologise in advance for not spotting it, if it exists!)

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
Co-op for me but I can enjoy a good competitive as long as it's a team game and actually involves team-work. I too am very psyched by Left4Dead. A game win which I can work with others to fight the zombie menace or be a zombie predator in an urban jungle ruining the day of those succulent walking brains? How could any game ever be any closer to sex?

Mr.Expendable

Mar 26, 2008
Coop... I'm such a sore loser that if I get "Powned" I have a tendancy to break the nearest object I can find. Namely the object closest to me which in most cases is the controler I am holding at the time.
Buying endless amounts of Controlers can be f*cking expesive.

GrimRox

Feb 22, 2008
Co-op is the way forward. Like Saskwach, I only really play competitive when it's a team game. Left for Dead will be better than sex and toast combined!

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
I really enjoy co-op, although thats because I have alot of friends that I really enjoy playing games with, and most of them are online with me. There always is the right person for the right situation. I dont like working with strangers, more often than not I find them stupid, annoying or both. So I guess that by myself I'd have to go with multiplayer.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Honestly, i don't like Co-op to much, mainly because when i do play co-op I/my friend/the person i'm playing with are never actualy stratigising or planning ahead. We either shoot what's infront of us and don't actualy think or we just talk about what's going on.

I actualy like thinking ahead and planning on what i'm going to do, so i'd say "Throw in a flash-bang, i don't have anymore. I'll clear the room, you go disarm the missles" or something like that, instead of barging in, head first, screaming at the top of our lungs and going in trying to kill everyone (though that is fun when we're high on sugar and caffine)

Sometimes, i really wish i could actualy talk strategy with people and not just be rambaling on how "something or other did this and that".

So i'd say competitive.

EDIT: Plus it's fun to say "I have more kills in my kill-streak than you!" to my friends, especialy when they won't shut up about how "Sucky" i am aparently (only stat-wise, i'm better preformance-wise)

RoThgar

Mar 9, 2008
Coop for life, my brother and I love gaming, and wish there were more games we would crack together.

If u guys like team based combat, get Dystopia for HL2, excellent team-based objective multiplayer mayhem. I love it. More people should play it...full stop.

Edit: Its a mod and free to play I might add.

Mar 26, 2008
RoThgar said:
Coop for life, my brother and I love gaming, and wish there were more games we would crack together.
I agree wholeheartedly. My brother and I were going to pick up Army Of Two for that very reason but apparently it is very short-lived.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Either really, if I'm playing as a team then it'll have to be co-op for me, against a computer, I can't stand losing mulitplayer team games because someone else on my team sucks. At least you eliminate that factor when playing the computer.
However if I want to do some mindless killing, competitive free-for-all all the way. Dis-engage brain and shoot.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Co-op. I've only played co-op during my short-lived stint on Halo online. I just don't like playing by myself (no, don't go there). I've always liked company, so, yeah, co-op well over competition. Though, team-deathmatch is probably my favourite.

Shrapnelwolf

Mar 28, 2008
As much as I'd like to say competitive just to be contrary, I'd have to say co-op. Some of my fondest memories involve me and my best friend playing Crackdown online.

bulletproof12

Feb 28, 2008
VERY tough call, i said competitive though because once again single player isnt usualy my thing but if you get 1-2 friends on your team in CoD4 or shadowrun the game is co-op and you dont have to deal with AI

GrowlersAtSea

Nov 14, 2007
It depends on the game for me.

If Co-Op is available though, I'll always give it a look, regardless of the game.. It's always fun to work with a friend to achieve goals, and sadly so many games neglect the concept these days. I most often do Co-Op in Strategy games though or work with people against an AI, since most strategy games are very rush and oriented around few units, geared around using/abusing the current state of balance with the game. Many strategy games in competitive games there are woefully few viable strategies, and cookie cutter ones based around certain established build orders and select units win the day. Playing Co-Op you can often explore different strategies and units that would get you killed against a person who quickly who rushes to the cheapest most effective unit possible and gives you a face full of them.

In a First Person Shooters though I often like going up against people, I'm not terribly twitch oriented but I like using weird tactics or just messing around. If there's a cooperative mode I'll give it a shot, but usually playing with/against people I can have the most fun.

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
Even the most popular "competitive" games are wrapped in co-op (Counterstrike, TF2, and the like), and while playing alone depends on the genre, I have the most fun playing games with other people, partially why I enjoy MMOs.

I really have multiple paths depending on how I feel, but if I really had a choice, I would definitely go co-op over competitive.

jezz8me

Mar 27, 2008
co-op so the other players make me look good >.>

In MMO's i find co-op good or else you feel detached from the community and like you are playing a single player game with heaps of other people around.

I also find it fun using strategy and in games like COD4 it can only be done with co-op

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
I grew up playing games like Battletoads, Contra, Ninja Turtles and P.O.W. with my brother, and it continued to the SNES era when such games were available. My sister and I often looked at Mario Kart's two player GP race as a co-op, though after a while my brother and I would also take each other on to make it more interesting. Ultimately, however, I grew up with co-op play, and any competitive was always with a room full of friends.

In the end, if I have a bunch of friends on Xbox Live, I can do competitive online. I can also enjoy any team-based multiplayer online as well, though not as much if I don't know anyone. Co-op, though, is where I thrive. If a game doesn't have co-op, I'm honestly very saddened.