Poll: Cowboy Bebop vs Samurai Champloo

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
Both shows are typically regarded as high quality and among the best anime. Me and a mate have this argument going for awhile now. This thread is far from the deciding factor in this debate but I just want to know the popular opinion. Personally I'm very fond of Samurai Champloo it being my favorite anime. Cowboy Bebop is third behind Ergo Proxy.
Anyway what's your opinion give some reason while your at it.
I like Champloo better because the characters are were more interesting for me and the combination of feudal Japan and modern street culture never failed to amuse Beyond that the two shows are very much alike. very much even. If I were to make a complaint I would say the ending would've been stronger if one or both Jeen and Moogan died. Preferably Moogan.
Edite: Jin and Mugen sorry. spelt it wrong

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Noirish Space Western.

I think the both survived specifically because one of the bigger tropes is that the Heroes always die. Shinichiro Watanabe isn't one for doing exactly what always happens. I've also never gotten the "The ending is better if someone dies" thing. Surprisingly enough a lot of people go most of the lives without dying.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Space Cowboys vs Break dancing Samurai...

I can't decide!!!

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
manythings said:
Noirish Space Western.

I think the both survived specifically because one of the bigger tropes is that the Heroes always die. Shinichiro Watanabe isn't one for doing exactly what always happens. I've also never gotten the "The ending is better if someone dies" thing. Surprisingly enough a lot of people go most of the lives without dying.
Yeah that's not it. I think Moogan should die because:
A he's an animal that deserves it. A rabid dog.
B he in the last episode finally overcame his biggest weakness (a lack of foresight) and it would have been deliciously ironic if he had died after that.
C he got stabbed, then had several bones broken, then stabbed again, then stabbed another time, shot and finally caught in an explosion. That's why he should die.
Jean should have died because the point was that he made the ultimate sacrifice for Fuu. He after being a master-less Ronin for so long, had finally found a master worth having.
Also there's no way either of them could've survived. Medical technology now a days wouldn't have been able to save either of them. But thanks to wishful thinking. Who gives a damn?
Also after all that personal growth and plot resolutions all three of them just turn around and walk away. It was kind of a let down.
I still prefer Samurai Champloo.

Rokusi666

Jun 19, 2010
Samurai Champloo.

It's got break dancing samurai, man! The contest was over before it began.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Sacman said:
Space Cowboys vs Break dancing Samurai...

I can't decide!!!
And why should we even try to decide? They were both bloody amazing, isn't that enough?

Personal preference goes to Cowboy Bebop however, mainly because I looooove it's jazzy soundtrack. But then again, Champloo made me like hip-hop, if only a certain branch of it.

OldRat

Dec 9, 2009
Funny that, I'm actually just watching Cowboy Bebop. Dunno why I haven't seen it before.

Well, from a technical standpoint, Samurai Champloo wins pretty easily. But that's to be expected. After all, it's newer and its budget is bigger.
Other than that, I really don't know. I'm still watching Cowboy Bebop, so I can't make any hard and fast judgements yet. But one thing I would say is that Champloo's hip hop influence is a lot more prominent than Bebop's respective influences.
Both are really solid series, but I think I'm going to have to go with Samurai Champloo. Scifi has never really tickled my fancy all that much.

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
OldRat said:
Funny that, I'm actually just watching Cowboy Bebop. Dunno why I haven't seen it before.

Well, from a technical standpoint, Samurai Champloo wins pretty easily. But that's to be expected. After all, it's newer and its budget is bigger.
Other than that, I really don't know. I'm still watching Cowboy Bebop, so I can't make any hard and fast judgements yet. But one thing I would say is that Champloo's hip hop influence is a lot more prominent than Bebop's respective influences.
Both are really solid series, but I think I'm going to have to go with Samurai Champloo. Scifi has never really tickled my fancy all that much.
Yeah I know. I started this thread just to mess with you. Cool ain't it?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
My vote is going toward Cowboy Bebeop. While both shows are awesome (I got them both on DVDs) but Champloo doesn't got Ed!
None the less both shows are great (Feudal Japan or outerspace, Jazz or Hip hop).

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
y1fella said:
Both shows are typically regarded as high quality and among the best anime. Me and a mate have this argument going for awhile now. This thread is far from the deciding factor in this debate but I just want to know the popular opinion. Personally I'm very fond of Samurai Champloo it being my favorite anime. Cowboy Bebop is third behind Ergo Proxy.
I like Champloo better because the characters are were more interesting for me and the combination of feudal Japan and modern street culture never failed to amuse Beyond that the two shows are very much alike. very much even. If I were to make a complaint I would say the ending would've been stronger if one or both Jeen and Moogan died. Preferably Moogan.

*Jin & Mugen*

OT: As I see it, Bebop is the perfect marriage of style and substance whereas Champloo has way less substance but considerably more style.

I prefer Champloo because I fucking love the time period it's "set in" and I love how stylish it is, but it only wins by a hair.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I watched all Cowboy Bebop episodes, but never decided to finish watching Champloo, because while I thought there was some funny parts, there wasn't really anything that kept me wanting to watch it.

kelevra

Sep 4, 2010
Champloo was great. Samurai and hip hop... it had some fucking stupid episodes though which ruined it for me. Not really spoilertastic... but if you see them you'll know (baseball?! zombies?!) Okay... Its a WTF moment in an otherwise really tight, compelling narrative.

Behop... wow. As good as Champloo in every way, minus the WTF episodes. Really awesome jazz soundtrack. Cool characters (although I fucking hate Faye, but thats just a thing I have against flaky characters). Space cowboy gangsters.

I couldnt really choose. Both have their flaws. Both are gems and easily some of the best anime I've ever seen. I'd say Behop edges it because the hip-hop shit bleeds into Champloo a bit too much at times.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Eh, Cowboy Bebop. The story was tighter, had more character arks, and the music more memorable and varied (episodes are called "sessions", each of which follows a different musical theme).

Don't get me wrong, Samurai Champloo was good too. The fight scenes were great, the visual style varied, and the character were likeable in their own way. Not to mention that it was the first anime to predominantly feature hip hop. As a light hearted tangent to Bebop, I'm inclined to give it more of a break, but overall it's less accessible to a wider audience than Bebop. Samurai Champloo requires a certain investment or openness to Japanese history/culture, ironic considering all of the American hip hop culture it tries to integrate into itself. If I was to introduce a friend to anime, I'd pick Bebop first each time.

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
moretimethansense said:
y1fella said:

*Jin & Mugen*

OT: As I see it, Bebop is the perfect marriage of style and substance whereas Champloo has way less substance but considerably more style.

I prefer Champloo because I fucking love the time period it's "set in" and I love how stylish it is, but it only wins by a hair.
Sorry Jin and Mugen. I'll go fix that.

Jamiemitsu

Oct 25, 2009
Cowboy Bebob, although Champloo is amazingly awesome, Bebop was a masterpiece. Though, to be fair, I haven't finished watching Champloo yet...

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Wenseph said:
moretimethansense said:
Wenseph said:
I watched all Cowboy Bebop episodes, but never decided to watch Champloo
Then why in the blue fuck are you posting?
Because I can? Because I'm allowed to? Or maybe I just felt like it? Why the fuck do you care?
Because I like toast, especially with a little bramble jelly on it, I swear when that sweet, sweet flavour touches my tongue I feel alive again.

That's why, you made an inane and utterly useless statement that added nothing to the conversation and served no purpose whatsoever, Imagine if you will that you went in to a bar and saw someone sitting alone as he loudly declares that he doesn't drink, you'd wonder why the fuck he was there wouldn't you?
Or if you were talking to a group about a particular subject and somebody butted in by declaring "I have no strong feelings on this subject one way or the other!".

I care, because it annoys the hell out of me, the fact that you seem to believe that we care about the fact that you have nothing relevant to add to the conversation in the slightest, you realize of course that we WOULD in fact be able to sleep tonight without your, oh so glorious opinion.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
moretimethansense said:
Wenseph said:
moretimethansense said:
Wenseph said:
I watched all Cowboy Bebop episodes, but never decided to watch Champloo
Then why in the blue fuck are you posting?
Because I can? Because I'm allowed to? Or maybe I just felt like it? Why the fuck do you care?
Because I like toast, especially with a little bramble jelly on it, I swear when that sweet, sweet flavour touches my tongue I feel alive again.

That's why, you made an inane and utterly useless statement that added nothing to the conversation and served no purpose whatsoever, Imagine if you will that you went in to a bar and saw someone sitting alone as he loudly declares that he doesn't drink, you'd wonder why the fuck he was there wouldn't you?
Or if you were talking to a group about a particular subject and somebody butted in by declaring "I have no strong feelings on this subject one way or the other!".

I care, because it annoys the hell out of me, the fact that you seem to believe that we care about the fact that you have nothing relevant to add to the conversation in the slightest, you realize of course that we WOULD in fact be able to sleep tonight without your, oh so glorious opinion.
Really? I didn't think so. I'm surprised that you would. I pretty much said I prefered Bebop, because I decided to watch it, while the few episodes I've seen of champloo didn't make me want to watch it by my own free will. Don't you have anything better to do than whining? Seriously?

Hellz_Barz

May 16, 2009
I feel bad about this but I've only watched champloo so far. I'll get round to bebop some day though. Even though I'm a hip hopper I know I'll love bebop cause I also love jazz. But I guess my vote goes to champloo for now.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The only good thing about Samurai Champloo is Mugen. Everything else is pretty mediocre and forgetable. With Champloo the studio also tries to recapture that same lighting it did with Bebop but simply fails at it. You can see that they really tried to give it that "too cool for school" sensibility.

The visuals and animation were also just not very good by comparison. It reminded me too much of that anime sequence in Kill Bill which looked butt-fucking-ugly.