Poll: Curious: a question for IT Professionals about what group should handle DNS

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
DoPo said:
Gorfias said:
Or someone thinking a DNS name alone can redirect to a sub-directory on a server ie world.org/city/resident.
Well, obviously whenever anybody has this request, they actually mean for you to submit an RFC, have it approved and accepted as a new DNS standard, have it be implemented everywhere, so it's actually usable and then do the change they wanted in the first place. If possible, have it done by 5 o'clock today.
Argh. Today, I did some DNS training with Security personnel and they said, "that's terrific. You keep handling it till we feel ready to take over in a few years."

Awesome use of my time!

I really want to give it to web-development and Linux guru. The box is on Linux and the web guy could teach me a thing or two about DNS. Wish me luck.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
piscian said:
It would be the server/systems team that handles client IP allocation. I work for an MSO so no this isn't opinion. suck it.

Network Engineering handles traffic flow management. Has nothing to do with DNS.

Security is in charge of accidentally blocking ports and causing outages.
LOL. I'm warned, NEVER go into Security. You'll be blamed for everything :)

ITMT: Network wants the power but not the responsibility of the DNS/DHCP system. Systems wants to know about security matters (are the admin passwords properly demanding?) but not the responsibility. I'm trying to mix my credentials to be in Project Management and can't get out of DNS/DHCP responsibility.

Oy.