Poll: Daniel Tosh threatens Woman with Gang Rape

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Trilligan said:
Clearing the Eye said:
See, if you had spoken of legality in the first place, I'd have had no need to call you out. You can't state that things are not acceptable and suggest they need be stopped without giving greater context and expect your thoughts to be perfectly translatable. As you can see, suggesting something is in need of an end is quite fairly considered a legal remark; such as saying we shouldn't accept gay people. How do you interrupt that? Does it mean they should be killed at the stake? Shunned? Made illegal to act upon their urges?
That just makes me think you didn't bother reading my post. Because the first thing I said was:
Trilligan said:
'Free speech' is a legal issue - the right of the people not to be silenced by the government. I'm talking about the moral and/or ethical climate that shrugs its shoulders and accepts vitriolic bullshit from morons instead of acting against it.
In this case 'acting against it' would be telling you to clean your feces out of the refrigerator. That should have been clear from the context, where I started out by saying that free speech was one thing, and I was talking about something completely different.
You said people should act against something. That's one hell of a broad assertion. It's fairly clear your original message (mirrored in the proceeding messages) was for society to not allow Daniel's speech--which is ultimately a matter of law. While you didn't say it should be illegal, you went on to say in no uncertain terms that it should be forcibly marginalized out of existence. If that's not social change leading to legal change, I don't know what is.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Mortai Gravesend said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
I didn't try to call you an idiot.
Mortai Gravesend said:
You don't seem all that bright so I have low expectations.
Maybe you need a break, lol.
Says the guy who missed the other guy's point.

And worse still you try to DEFEND your misinterpretation when other people could clearly understand it. The problem wasn't the way he put it, I understood it. So the part unique to your misunderstanding is... you.

But anyway, no that wasn't an attempt to call you an idiot.
When someone of your infamous reputation says "You don't seem all that bright," you want to try and argue that's anything less than an insult to intellect?

But please, tell more about how I'm not very bright and that you have low expectations of me, but I'm not an idiot.

Or don't. Because trolling is against the rules.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Trilligan said:
him over there said:
The other context that works against him is a societal comtext. He's a man telling a rape joke about a woman. A privileged member of society making a joke about a crime at the expense of a group who are most often victims of this crime. This creates an undercurrent of misogyny that wouldn't be there if perhaps he wasn't a man, or she wasn't a woman or even if we simply lived in a society where genders had equal rights, or at least where rape isn't nearly exclusively a crime against women.

In conclusion Tosh made a mean spirited joke that is benefited by one context and demonized by another, the complication coming from the fact that both are present at the same time.
That's about as well-reasoned and logical a compromise as one could find in this situation. I don't think anything more needs to be said.
So is the thread over now or should we let the taunting Pichu finish his monologue?

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
I like that I'm in agreement with the greater portion of people in this thread. Being part of the moral majority makes me feel all normal and shit.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Who cares? its Comedy and Mr. Tosh is known to try and be as offensive as possible, people need to get over it.

That being said, Daniel Tosh isn't funny at all imo so i dont care either way.

EDIT: Oh how mature OP, I would like a 'yes' option, not some heavily biased poo poll

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
TheTim said:
Who cares? its Comedy and Mr. Tosh is known to try and be as offensive as possible, people need to get over it.

That being said, Daniel Tosh isn't funny at all imo so i dont care either way.

EDIT: Oh how mature OP, I would like a 'yes' option, not some heavily biased poo post
"Biased poo post" Winner of weirdest combination of words, lol.

Mortai Gravesend said:
Clearing the Eye said:
I like that I'm in agreement with the greater portion of people in this thread. Being part of the moral majority makes me feel all normal and shit.
It's nice that when your illogical garbage gets beaten down you resort to trying to say "Well at least a lot of people agree with me!". Or well it's not nice really and rather... lacking when it comes to intellectual integrity which would demand solid arguments over popular opinion.
Hey now, don't be a sore loser :p

Popularity makes me feel loved. I embrace my moral majority <3

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
geK0 said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
geK0 said:
We should start arresting people who say bad things in a stand up act! We need to protect the rights of the people who are having their feelings hurt.

Any politically incorrect comedy act is just COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE in today's society! this is the 21st century! Any comedian who tries to get cheap laughs with offensive speech is complete scum and should be locked up for life, regardless of whether the remark was intended to be ironic! Joking about rape is JUST AS BAD as committing rape; I'm sure that Daniel Tosh was genuine when he said that woman should be raped, I bet that he planned to do it later himself! DISGUSTING!
You're right instead we need to start running around being as rude as possible to everyone and beating up everyone who takes offense! That's clearly what people like you want just like it's clear that people want humor like Tosh's to be against the law.
I wasn't implying that anyone wanted to illegalize Tosh's comedy, that was an exaggeration : \
I just find it kind of pointless to get uptight over a comic act which is intentionally offensive; I'm not saying it was a good joke (Tosh's style of comedy is a little blunt for me most of the time), I'm just saying that this really isn't that big a deal. It's sort of like 'dead baby' jokes in a way, the point is to make a joke that is obscene and offensive in order to provoke a strong a strong reaction; sometimes the reaction is "OMG that's terrible LOL" other times it's "This is offensive and I will not stand for it!".

It was so ridiculously exaggerated it contributed nothing.
apparently it was enough of a contribution to start this conversation. The intention of the exaggeration was to show how silly I find it to be so angry at something like this. I was pretty much just mocking everyone who is upset by this : \
So, the contribution was "I think you guys are being ridiculous ".

And him doing it intentionally doesn't exactly mean he doesn't deserve scorn for it.
I'm sure that Daniel Tosh expects scorn, the entire point of his act is to be offensive, and plenty of people find that funny. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't find him half as funny if not for the fact that they knew others would be pissed off by his humour.

And sure, it's no big deal. But we're on a video game forum. Saying it's not a big deal is such a cop out because it's not as if anything here is much of a big deal. If it is we're not going to even do anything about it. It's so meaningless to make that complaint online most of the time.
let me rephrase that; I don't agree with the people who say that this is unacceptable. When I say "It's not a big deal" I usually expect people to persuade me otherwise.

Kaiser0120

Mar 11, 2010
Anything can be made fun of, as long as the joke is funny.

The worst sin a joke can commit is being unfunny.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
He's a shit comedian, and what he said wasn't even a joke, but rape jokes can be funny, as can all jokes.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
So THAT'S where the phrase 'What a load of Tosh' comes from.

I see now!

I don't think rape is very funny in any way. I just can't think of a way you can make it funny. Not even if I imagine Billy Connolly telling it.