Poll: Daniel Tosh threatens Woman with Gang Rape

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
CD-R said:
/thread

http://www.buzzfeed.com/amyodell/comedy-club-owner-says-daniel-tosh-incident-has-be

tl;dr the woman complained to management which in turn gave her two free tickets to another show which the woman accepted. Daniel Tosh never even said "wouldn't it be funny if 5 guys just raped her."
Actually... I wouldn't be entirely certain about it.

Note how the manager points out that he didn't really hear Daniel all that clearly? Not that the manager is like lying on purpose or anything.

We could say that his witness account is flawed in some form. Like how so many victims of crimes sadly pick the wrong person out of a lineup because they didn't see quite that clearly.

Mr.Lucifer

Nov 1, 2009
The point wasn't he made rape jokes, it was that he made a rape joke about the woman in the audience in her face. That's like say it would have been like saying it would been funny if a Hispanic member in the audience got his brains blown out by a couple of rednecks. Even in shock comedy, there is such thing as going too far.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
itsthesheppy said:
Drago-Morph said:
I'm sorry, I find it hard to believe that numbers like that aren't bullshit. I'll accept that rape is certainly a more common crime than murder, but more common than getting mugged? Than having someone break into your home? Suuuuuure.
Here. [http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/sexual-assault-victims] These [http://www.crisisconnectioninc.org/sexualassault/rapestatistics.htm] links [http://thehathorlegacy.com/rape-statistics/] took [http://www.barcc.org/information/facts/stats/] me [http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/15/health/nearly-1-in-5-women-in-us-survey-report-sexual-assault.html] about [http://www.911rape.org/facts-quotes/statistics] one minute to collect. I don't think I need to say anything more; I'll let you read them for yourself. Note the sources; feel free to check those if you doubt the validity.

now those numbers were compiled by teams of researchers whose job it is to do that work. If you have evidence to the contrary other than, say, wishful thinking, I'm sure we're all interested in hearing it.

If you don't, do your homework, and fix your face.
I opened the first link.

It claimed 1 in 6 American women have been raped.

It then claimed 17.7 million American women have been raped.

17.7 million multiplied by six equals 106.2 million.

That's about 60 million women short of the total women in America.

Otherwise known as being off by over 33%.

Otherwise known as being a completely unreliable source.

Like I said, I can pull bullshit sensationalist statistics out of my ass, too. I'll do it if you really want me to (not because I believe them, but to prove my point if you're really so blind as to miss the purpose of this post). But honestly? Read your bullshit sensationalist statistics first, to make sure they hold up to basic mathematics.

Especially before you tell me to do my homework.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Ashannon Blackthorn said:
itsthesheppy said:
itsthesheppy said:
*BUZZER*

Oh MAN. Today is not your day, Drago! You worked up a good head of steam early on but you're just kind of flailing now.

Depending on the study you look at and the timeframe the study looks into, you can find the statistics actually bear out that between one in four to one in seven women will be raped or sexually assaulted in their lifetime. That's not "rare". Rare is winning the lottery or being in a plane crash. One in four is frighteningly common.
And it's really easy to pull bullshit statistics out of your ass. one is six professors of history can tell you that. Also 79% of all scientists wear underwear on any given day.

Yeah if you look in the right places you can find stats for 1 in 4 women being raped. I know a few hundred women easy. None of them them raped. Though I know one girl who raped her husband. Does that count toward the statistics?

And I'm sure I can find stats for a much lower percentage of rape victims. Depends on where you look.

PLus being a condescending jackanape doesn't really make me want to agree with you in any way.
I feel I am well within my rights to be condescending to grown adults who should really know better, when solid information is out there for them to read about and know, and they choose ignorance instead.
Then you're just as bad and can easily be dismissed as the low life cretins who defend rape. Fanatics on either side of a debate are wretched scum who can;'t be reasoned with.
Haha, I'm sorry, what?

You're equating me, in severity, with people who defend rape, because I'm snarky to someone who is so dedicated to being wrong that he's rolling his eyes at statistics that frankly children should know?

Man. Can you imagine if I'd attacked him with irony? I mean sarcasm is bad, but what if I hit him with... metaphor? I could be arrested for a hate crime.

Fact: Anywhere between 1 in 4 to 1 in 7 women are sexually assaulted in their lifetime. Something like 80%+ cases go unreported, because people like yourself trivialize the situation and make it seem like people who stand up for rape victims are unwanted, that turning rape into a joke is a-okay, and so forth. It's where we get the myth that rape victims are lying (that only happens in 3% of cases; you'd think it was 93% if you listened to the internet); its where we get a culture that blames women for dressing slutty if they get attacked, and on and on.

There's been about a hundred threads about this and frankly it's just sad. the information is out there. You can read it or not; but if you don't and then come in here saying things that are patently untrue and passing yourself off as an authority, I'm going to be snarky, sarcastic and, perish the thought, ironic to you, and I don't care of the politeness police come after me. COME AT ME, BRO.

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
SadakoMoose said:
Yeah, I'm the asshole that think gang rape threats aren't totally funny. I must be with the PC police, yea? I'm just ruining everybody's fun by being a wet blanket.
Did you even read the goddamn "R Word" article posted on this very site not but a few weeks ago?
SadakoMoose, please drop the histronics. It doesn't help you at all. The big thing here is your self imposed quest to censor someone because they do something you find distasteful. That's it. Weather or not you agree or disagree with Tosh is moot. The issue I have with you is you are blantently trying to censor him and we have enough of that already with various government agencies and religious groups and minority groups.

You're original poll was biased in the extreme. No no and no? If you cannot see whay that's a crock of crap you have no right to be engaging in any form of debate.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Tosh has apologized. Does this thread get to be over now?

https://twitter.com/danieltosh/statuses/222796532653629441?tw_i=222796532653629441&tw_e=details&tw_p=tweetembed

https://twitter.com/danieltosh/statuses/222796636559130624?tw_i=222796636559130624&tw_e=details&tw_p=tweetembed

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
itsthesheppy said:
Haha, I'm sorry, what?

You're equating me, in severity, with people who defend rape, because I'm snarky to someone who is so dedicated to being wrong that he's rolling his eyes at statistics that frankly children should know?

Man. Can you imagine if I'd attacked him with irony? I mean sarcasm is bad, but what if I hit him with... metaphor? I could be arrested for a hate crime.

Fact: Anywhere between 1 in 4 to 1 in 7 women are sexually assaulted in their lifetime. Something like 80%+ cases go unreported, because people like yourself trivialize the situation and make it seem like people who stand up for rape victims are unwanted, that turning rape into a joke is a-okay, and so forth. It's where we get the myth that rape victims are lying (that only happens in 3% of cases; you'd think it was 93% if you listened to the internet); its where we get a culture that blames women for dressing slutty if they get attacked, and on and on.

There's been about a hundred threads about this and frankly it's just sad. the information is out there. You can read it or not; but if you don't and then come in here saying things that are patently untrue and passing yourself off as an authority, I'm going to be snarky, sarcastic and, perish the thought, ironic to you, and I don't care of the politeness police come after me. COME AT ME, BRO.
You heard me. You're just as fucking bad. You cannot be reasoned with, nothing anyone says or shows you will make you even consider that you might be wrong in some way.

Did you read my commetns where I say rape is trivial? No, you obviously didn't because I said clearly rapists should be executed. Yes I trivialize it so much I want to kill anyone who does it.

You're a fucking fanatic and just like all fanatics get upset when called on it. Well I'm truly sorry i see you for what you are. Just another close minded asshole. You might mean well but hey, road to hell is paved with good intentions and all that eh?

I asked you to try and change my mind. How about this. Give me stats from The natrional health agencies, world health. Anything besides groups who's mission it is to deal with it. That avoids any claim of bias.

But no, you go off, attack me and then act all hurt I attacked you.

BRING IT BRO?

CONSIDER IT BROUGHT!

I'm perfectly willing to admit wrongness or amend my views in light of changing evidence. are you?

EDIT: Also look up irony. You weren't doing it.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
RoBi3.0 said:
First I don't know the women so I am not going to assume that she is a gang-rap survivor
I'm a gang-rap survivor. It was horrible. He was talking about shooting cops and fucking shorties (which I'm pretty certain is a type of cake, right? Who fucks cake?), I was scared for my life and sense of decency, but mostly my belt, as it seems that they do not like it when people wear belts around them. Maybe the gang-rapers have some irrational hatred of leather (for a moment I assumed they worshiped cows), but considering that many of their "bitches" wore tight leather clothing I find this unlikely.they also appeared to have some kind of incest fetishism, as they were constantly referring to each other as "mother fuckers."

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
shrekfan246 said:
He's not exactly politically correct.

Like that's a defence?

Let me go out on a limb here. You're a guy right?
Like that means anything? You haven't invalidated his point. Tosh is a dark, sarcastic comedian who roasted a disruptive and disrespectful heckler using a sarcastic remark that meshed with his act and comedy style. It is perfectly fine to make jokes about anything or anyone, it comes down to execution and context.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
itsthesheppy said:
Haha, I'm sorry, what?

You heard me. You're just as fucking bad.
Then you and I are operating under a different definition of who a bad person is, and frankly I'd be more interested in reaching common ground with you on it if you were a more interesting person to talk to. So that's that. Cheers.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Jeffrey Crall said:
Kahunaburger said:
Jack the Potato said:
But claiming rape is a hate crime against women completely ignores the men who have been victims of rape
[Committing a crime against] someone is a crime. [Committing a crime against] someone because they're [a member of identity group X] is a hate crime. Wow, this is such a tricky concept.
Yes because all women are a small "identity group". Sure it's a group, but damn, that's not exactly stable grounds to call it a "hate crime".
Bolded text: appearing nowhere in my post. It's not like gender isn't a part of identity. If someone attacks someone else because the someone else is a woman, that's a hate crime.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Drago-Morph said:
itsthesheppy said:
Drago-Morph said:
I'm sorry, I find it hard to believe that numbers like that aren't bullshit. I'll accept that rape is certainly a more common crime than murder, but more common than getting mugged? Than having someone break into your home? Suuuuuure.
Here. [http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/sexual-assault-victims] These [http://www.crisisconnectioninc.org/sexualassault/rapestatistics.htm] links [http://thehathorlegacy.com/rape-statistics/] took [http://www.barcc.org/information/facts/stats/] me [http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/15/health/nearly-1-in-5-women-in-us-survey-report-sexual-assault.html] about [http://www.911rape.org/facts-quotes/statistics] one minute to collect. I don't think I need to say anything more; I'll let you read them for yourself. Note the sources; feel free to check those if you doubt the validity.

now those numbers were compiled by teams of researchers whose job it is to do that work. If you have evidence to the contrary other than, say, wishful thinking, I'm sure we're all interested in hearing it.

If you don't, do your homework, and fix your face.
I opened the first link.

It claimed 1 in 6 American women have been raped.

It then claimed 17.7 million American women have been raped.

17.7 million multiplied by six equals 106.2 million.

That's about 60 million women short of the total women in America.

Otherwise known as being off by over 33%.

Otherwise known as being a completely unreliable source.

Like I said, I can pull bullshit sensationalist statistics out of my ass, too. I'll do it if you really want me to (not because I believe them, but to prove my point if you're really so blind as to miss the purpose of this post). But honestly? Read your bullshit sensationalist statistics first, to make sure they hold up to basic mathematics.

Especially before you tell me to do my homework.
Hi. Here's the source [http://www.nij.gov/about/welcome.htm] of the information:

The direct link to the National Institute of Justice study [https://www.ncjrs.gov/txtfiles/172837.txt]. They are from the US Department of Justice so if you're looking for something more credible, you're welcome to go through it.

According to the study, 18% of women are the victims of sexual assault. That's about 1 in 5.

If you think they're wrong, go ahead and call them up. They spent your tax dollars to conduct the study. Play math games with them; it's their job to research these things. I'm just giving you the tools.

Or you can continue to think that you, Drago-Morph of the Escapist Forums, know something that people dedicated to this field don't. I wish you the best of luck.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Revnak said:
RoBi3.0 said:
First I don't know the women so I am not going to assume that she is a gang-rap survivor
I'm a gang-rap survivor. It was horrible. He was talking about shooting cops and fucking shorties (which I'm pretty certain is a type of cake, right? Who fucks cake?), I was scared for my life and sense of decency, but mostly my belt, as it seems that they do not like it when people wear belts around them. Maybe the gang-rapers have some irrational hatred of leather (for a moment I assumed they worshiped cows), but considering that many of their "bitches" wore tight leather clothing I find this unlikely.they also appeared to have some kind of incest fetishism, as they were constantly referring to each other as "mother fuckers."
lol you found a typo. You are very cleaver.

Mar 25, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
Jeffrey Crall said:
Kahunaburger said:
Jack the Potato said:
But claiming rape is a hate crime against women completely ignores the men who have been victims of rape
[Committing a crime against] someone is a crime. [Committing a crime against] someone because they're [a member of identity group X] is a hate crime. Wow, this is such a tricky concept.
Yes because all women are a small "identity group". Sure it's a group, but damn, that's not exactly stable grounds to call it a "hate crime".
Bolded text: appearing nowhere in my post. It's not like gender isn't a part of identity. If someone attacks someone else because the someone else is a woman, that's a hate crime.
No, I'm saying that using identity group is kinda not the word to use for it. We already have a word for it, it's called sexism. I'm not saying that your wrong... (Wait, I'm kind wasting your time aren't I...? Well, darn. Oh well.)

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
shrekfan246 said:
He's not exactly politically correct.

Like that's a defence?

Let me go out on a limb here. You're a guy right?
I also have a cold and am dating a girl who is a rape victim and doesn't exactly get offended by stuff like this, so I'm not going to get into an argument with you.

Boy, I knew I shouldn't have posted in this thread...

All right, look, I don't think that what he did was justified. Okay? He was a douche about it, sure. But that doesn't make it unacceptable for him to tell a joke about rape. The way he responded to the heckler was wrong, the basis on which the heckler attacked him was just stupid. This thread, however, is asking whether or not telling a joke about rape is acceptable. I believe it is, provided it's properly exaggerated and actually amusing. It wasn't asking if what Tosh did was right or not.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
itsthesheppy said:
Though I can't be sure, I doubt that there has been one unreported cause of rape were the victim was like "you know what I saw XXX person making a rape joke therefor no one cares, so I am not going to report it."

If anyone is trivializing the situation it is you by pretending it is such a simple issue. There are so many social factors that go into why most rapes go unreported and the way victims are treated, that I am hard pressed to count them all in a reasonable length post.

I am most certain however that telling people not to talk about it in any form is not going to solve the problem.

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
itsthesheppy said:
itsthesheppy said:
Haha, I'm sorry, what?

You heard me. You're just as fucking bad.
Then you and I are operating under a different definition of who a bad person is, and frankly I'd be more interested in reaching common ground with you on it if you were a more interesting person to talk to. So that's that. Cheers.
So I was right eh? "I'm not worth it"

I'd actually like to meet commmon ground. SO here. I asked for non biased proof. I'll provide it.

http://www.dvrc-or.org/domestic/violence/resources/C61/

Now the important bit. Scroll down to see where this site got it's information. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Department of Justice, National Institute of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics.

Now, with this, I agree with your numbers. Now, can you justify where it's rigth to actively censor a comedian for joking about such a topic, even with ironclad proof that's it's a lot more common than most people are comfortable with? I'll leave that for you to answer. I look forward to your reply.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
RoBi3.0 said:
Revnak said:
RoBi3.0 said:
lol you found a typo. You are very cleaver.
[/spoiler][/quote]

Man you are on a role.[/quote]
Now you're just being silly. I have had my fun with you good sir, stop feeding me these silly typos as I am definitely getting tired of them and have no intention of continuing.
[small]And yes, I am a wonderful actor...[/small]