Poll: Dark Crystal or Labyrinth?

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
Johnny Impact said:
DrownedAmmet said:
thaluikhain said:
Both are good, but in many ways the Dark Crystal is a bit of a generic high fantasy story. Done well, but we've seen that sort of thing before. Labyrinth stands out a lot more. There was also more creative use of puppets. The Dark Crystal creatures tended to be more alien, and less weird, if you see what I mean. The Skexis or Garthim seemed to be believable ish monsters, while stuff like the Fireys weren't trying to be believable and weren't restricted by it.

Also, the Labyrinth songs.

"You remind me of the babe"

I daresay a fair few people to read that have that song stuck in their heads now.
Fuck. You.
"The babe with the powah."
What power?
The power of voodoo.

I was gonna say what singing because after all these years i couldn't remember any....

seriously Labyrinth is the far superior movie, the story is less cringe worthy, the characters are better and there is no awkward puppet love flute scene.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
As a straight guy even I'm mezmerized by Bowie in groin-tight tights and eyeshadow lol.

And being serious I find Labyrinth more fun, exciting and enjoyable on the whole.

Now if you were to pit it against Legend, well there'd be a tough choice.......

But just watch Magic Dance, Christ alive Bowie is just chuffing unreal and talented as buggery. To think of some of the "stars" we see nowadays, Bowie's got more charisma, sex appeal and "wow" in his tights than most have in their entire careers.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Happyninja42 said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Love them both, don't think they're comparable beyond the puppetry which done by the same company is a moot point.
Yeah, I'm not trying to say which one is the better film, I'm simply expanding something I noticed in my personal life to an online format to see if the trend holds up.

So far the personal experience isn't holding up with the numbers. Interesting. Though more female entries would help balance out the figures. xD
No I understand, I would have framed it on how Jim Henson involved 80's fantasy movies that weren't standard Kermint and the Gang puppetry holds up with the general age group that grew up on them and also what younger generations think of them (preferably without the mean-spirited snark in favor of the more constructive style). I find it hard to say neither movie is comparable beyond the baseline of how Henson productions hold up and also their personal affect on me.
Mini-background, I grew up amongst both very unusual parents, both having strong influences on me and both were successful people in their own right, which gives me a skewed view on a lot of things. I experience both female perspectives though growing up amongst succesful and strong women and also a father figure who is ethical and all around successful in his own right. Having those experiences make it hard for me sometimes to say I've got a fully male or female view on things because I have that dichotomy in my worldview. I'm not unique I don't think but I have a certain advantage of seeing things from a diverse point of view and both movies hold merit that aren't just genderbased they're very inclusive in a lot of ways and beautiful works of art in their own right.
I believe their messages are also diverse and hard to pin down which does better because the subject material is different.
I've grown up with these movies (and Legend, had a bootleg directors cut somehow still having the original score of the theatrical version). Those 3 movies as well had a profound impact on my fantasy upbringing. They also showed me different things, and all had positive messages to them, and beautiful costumes (Bowie rocked that codpiece).

Serinanth

Apr 29, 2009
Both of us are in agreement I male, and she female, The Dark Crystal gets the vote, we saw both when they came out. Labyrinth is pretty awesome though, Bowies bulge is mesmerizing.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Labyrinth is a more fun, but the Dark Crystal is far more "emotional" for me I guess.
It's not exactly a "pleasant" children's film, and I really respect that.
The plot is cliche', but the presentation is unique and one of the first movies to make me "feel", for lack of a better description.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Huh.. strange. But you have to give it to the Bowie Bulge.. Dark Crystal was of course fabulous as was Labrynth but.. the bulge man, the bulge.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
I haven't watched Dark Crystal in ages, but I'm going to have to go with Labyrinth. If anything, probably because it reminds me more of classic children's fantasy in the vein of L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, or Michael Ende's Neverending Story (to this day, one of the best damn books I've ever read).

That, and David Bowie in tight pants (and I feel perfectly comfortable stating this as a strictly straight guy).

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
I absolutely love both of them, add to that Legend as my childhood favorites. I could never chose between both, Dark Crystal was an amazing story. loved the characters, and the Skeksis seriously, could there be better villains? They still give me the creeps. Labyrinth, what can you say about it, story and characters unforgettable, David Bowie as the Goblin King was unbelievable, even if his pants were too tight. I just finished reading the novelization that Jim Henson had commissioned before his death, they add a lot to the characters, story and lore, particularly the Goblin King, and his reason for taking Toby, I won't spoil it. Also the fierys in Labyrinth the song was one of my all time favorites. Jim Henson's creative genius could never be matched, yes I am a fan if you can't tell.

Hey lady!! Where you goin with a head like that?!?!?